Maybe this Dish 5G thing is real after all

Those devices are usually wifi...they dont talk directly to the 5g service provider..they need a router somewhere

If you google "iot lte modem" you'll find a number of manufacturers providing said item right now for 4G networks. The bandwidth used is quite low though, so I'm not sure what advantage moving to 5G (whatever that's going to be) is supposed to bring.

Reactions: TheKrell
If you google "iot lte modem" you'll find a number of manufacturers providing said item right now for 4G networks. The bandwidth used is quite low though, so I'm not sure what advantage moving to 5G (whatever that's going to be) is supposed to bring.

In addition to throughput increases, 5G will offer lower latency and high concurrency, so less lag and more devices connected to a given tower (or more connections per device I suppose). Also, less energy will be required, so batteries will last longer. Dish also technically has an advantage by building 5G from the ground up, and not having to overlay it on legacy network technologies, but that is a one-time advantage. When it comes to 6G, they will be in the same boat as everyone else (in theory). They will be using SDN, which is supposed to be better, although, in my experience, meh.

Reactions: DWS44
Each item would need to authenicate on the cellular network...thats alot of sym cards..not to mention a billing nightmare

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

A few observations.
Ericsson is a leader if not the leader in 5G equipment along with Qualcomm.
Not a coincidence that Tmobile also has a deal with Ericsson for 5G and Tmobile made the "complaint" about DISH holding on to spectrum recently.
Not a coincidence DISH comes back with this announcement

Finally, it has been said several times over many years here as he has pulled off what seemed he could not....
Never underestimate Charlie. Just some highlights
Spearheaded getting locals on Satellite when people questioned it
Middle finger to FCC and found a way to have Distant locals after being told he could not
Hopper
New 5G network?

A few observations.
Ericsson is a leader if not the leader in 5G equipment along with Qualcomm.
Not a coincidence that Tmobile also has a deal with Ericsson for 5G and Tmobile made the "complaint" about DISH holding on to spectrum recently.
Not a coincidence DISH comes back with this announcement

Finally, it has been said several times over many years here as he has pulled off what seemed he could not....
Never underestimate Charlie. Just some highlights
Spearheaded getting locals on Satellite when people questioned it
Middle finger to FCC and found a way to have Distant locals after being told he could not
Hopper
New 5G network?

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

Bullwinkle J. Moose, 1959

Not sure if this is true or not but somebody told me that the Police use a 5g or 6g connection on there field laptops. Dont know how they could have 6th generation when 5g is not public but who knows.

Att has a special 1st responder network

Pretty sure that is still an LTE network right now, just on a dedicated band. They are planning to develop it over time to utilize 5G tech.

"FirstNet's representatives said that LTE technology (the data and apps that people have on their smart phones) will help emergency responders during public emergencies."

First Responder Network Authority - Wikipedia

Reactions: TheKrell
You will have a separate charge for every sim card device...like family plans today with multiple phones on them...It wont be affordable with 10 or so devices

Well, no word on how they will structure payments that I have seen, but I wouldn't assume you're going to pay $10/month for each IOT device. 5G is supposed to reduce costs as well.

The other thing to think about with 5g is the latency, it's almost non existent, which means things like robotics and autonomous vehicles could be a real thing in the "near future".
the latency on mine is at 1 millisecond. even though verizon says a 1 gig max it gets faster trust me that just depends on factors like how far away from the tower you are ect ect!!! i always hit higher speeds than a GB:):biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)