Maybe this Dish 5G thing is real after all

What does the government have to do with TiVo fees?

Local govt may limit fees for cable card fees but that is from the cable company.

There is no way they can regulate other TiVo fees, especially on OTA only DVR's.

TiVo has raised its subscription fees over time, fortunately I'm grandfathered on the one DVR I have that is not Lifetime.

Lifetime has gone up quite a lot , it once was $100, then $300 now $549 for Bolt VOX.

Reactions: dare2be
What does the government have to do with TiVo fees?

Local govt may limit fees for cable card fees but that is from the cable company.

There is no way they can regulate other TiVo fees, especially on OTA only DVR's.

TiVo has raised its subscription fees over time, fortunately I'm grandfathered on the one DVR I have that is not Lifetime.

Lifetime has gone up quite a lot , it once was $100, then $300 now $549 for Bolt VOX.

The FCC used to have a cap on cable card fees. Not sure if that is still the case, or, if it is, whether the current FCC would do anything about it.

I was referring to the charges that cable imposes on TiVo use, so yeah, cable card.

I would love it if satellite offered a "lifetime" DVR or outlet fee like TiVo does.

If you take government mandated cable card out of the picture, the fees between Comcast, DTV, and Dish are comparable.

Except Dish does not have RSN surcharges.

Tivo has actually lowered the fees for the new Bolt VOX OTA
BUT, a HIGHER total cost compared to the previous Roamio OTA box at $399 and no additonal charges ever, with the new Bolt Vox OTA with All-in costing a total of $500, or pay the monthly or annual FOREVER, and one can end up paying more than if they just went All-in at time of purchase. Please, the TCF is filled with mostly negative criticism on TiVo's pricing for the Bolt Vox OTA. Also, let's remember the Bolt Vox OTA does not provide for all the pay channels the FAR MORE expensive Bolt Vox's or even Dish's boxes do, and that has value to some subscribers. Of course, for those pay channels then you have to add the programming packages for cable or Dish.

Most people aren't rich enough to pay for TiVo equipment for their MSO needs. This is probably the main reason TiVo's retail subscribers are so LOW. Also, a TiVo on DirecTV or most MSO's is and additional fee for the privilege of using a TiVo on top of having spent thousands on TiVo DVR boxes, and Mini's and MoCA. Yes, most MSO subscribers would rather have a TiVo because it really is vastly superior to any Cable Co. DVR, but most people can't afford the TiVo option, and so they take the far lower cost entry to cable DVR option. A lot of people don't have the wads and wads of cash to pay up-front for all that TiVo equipment and FEES or the new $499 All-in per DVR box.

I was referring to the charges that cable imposes on TiVo use, so yeah, cable card.

I would love it if satellite offered a "lifetime" DVR or outlet fee like TiVo does.

If you take government mandated cable card out of the picture, the fees between Comcast, DTV, and Dish are comparable.

Except Dish does not have RSN surcharges.
The sad fact is that cable companies are now telling subscribers that they no longer support Cable Card, when, in fact, they are still mandated to support Cable Card. This claim of no longer offering/supporting Cable Cards and trying to push their own cable DVR upon people trying to use TiVo's on an MSO has happened to quire a few people, but after those people file a complaint with the FCC, the cable companies call back in like one or two days and completely change tune and say, "Well, YES, we support Cable Card . . ." and then they make it (Cable Cards and even Tuning Adapters) happen so fast and with uncharacteristic courteousness that you know they just have a policy to LIE because they don't want people using TiVo instead of their own equipment that costs a monthly fee to the cable company.

To bring back on topic: It was always real, but Dish preferred to share the costs with a partner, but it was clear that Dish was prepared to go it alone if necessary. The time came when Dish had to move, and not finding a partner, Dish moved forward alone. The first milestone is a pretty LOW bar for Dish or any company to meet. However, the bar will be higher in a few years, but considering that Dish has contracted real, experienced companies to build the infrastructure, etc. to make this happen, I have no doubt Dish will meet the next milestone in a few years. Also, the FCC approves extensions like candy on all sorts of technology and deadlines and requirements, so long as it can be shown that such company is actually building it out.

BUT, a HIGHER total cost compared to the previous Roamio OTA box at $399 and no additonal charges ever, with the new Bolt Vox OTA with All-in costing a total of $500, or pay the monthly or annual FOREVER, and one can end up paying more than if they just went All-in at time of purchase. Please, the TCF is filled with mostly negative criticism on TiVo's pricing for the Bolt Vox OTA. Also, let's remember the Bolt Vox OTA does not provide for all the pay channels the FAR MORE expensive Bolt Vox's or even Dish's boxes do, and that has value to some subscribers. Of course, for those pay channels then you have to add the programming packages for cable or Dish.

Most people aren't rich enough to pay for TiVo equipment for their MSO needs. This is probably the main reason TiVo's retail subscribers are so LOW. Also, a TiVo on DirecTV or most MSO's is and additional fee for the privilege of using a TiVo on top of having spent thousands on TiVo DVR boxes, and Mini's and MoCA. Yes, most MSO subscribers would rather have a TiVo because it really is vastly superior to any Cable Co. DVR, but most people can't afford the TiVo option, and so they take the far lower cost entry to cable DVR option. A lot of people don't have the wads and wads of cash to pay up-front for all that TiVo equipment and FEES or the new $499 All-in per DVR box.
Just couldn't resist and had to add the following:
The TiVo Mini Vox is priced HIGHER from a reasonable $129 for the original Mini's (no longer available) to a painful $179 for the Mini Vox. So, now If one wants to have merely a 2 TV set-up with independent viewing using the Bolt Vox OTA it is $498--with the smart move of All-in Plan-- for the DVR plus $179 for the Mini Vox. That is nearly $700 for a 2 TV set-up. Keep in mind this is an OTA ONLY DVR set-up, and cord shavers (cutters or nevers, whatever) are extremely high price sensitive, and won't find such pricing at all attractive. They are trying to save money, not plunk down nearly $700 on anything. The new pricing scheme for the latest TiVo's is pretty bad, and many say so at the TCF.

Just couldn't resist and had to add the following:
The TiVo Mini Vox is priced HIGHER from a reasonable $129 for the original Mini's (no longer available) to a painful $179 for the Mini Vox. So, now If one wants to have merely a 2 TV set-up with independent viewing using the Bolt Vox OTA it is $498--with the smart move of All-in Plan-- for the DVR plus $179 for the Mini Vox. That is nearly $700 for a 2 TV set-up. Keep in mind this is an OTA ONLY DVR set-up, and cord shavers (cutters or nevers, whatever) are extremely high price sensitive, and won't find such pricing at all attractive. They are trying to save money, not plunk down nearly $700 on anything. The new pricing scheme for the latest TiVo's is pretty bad, and many say so at the TCF.

As you couldn’t resist another mind numbing soliloquy. TiVoTed has said a new FireTv / Roku app is in testing that will replace the mini for those that are price sensitive and don’t want the full features or wiring necessities of a stand alone mini.

As you couldn’t resist another mind numbing soliloquy. TiVoTed has said a new FireTv / Roku app is in testing that will replace the mini for those that are price sensitive and don’t want the full features or wiring necessities of a stand alone mini.
I have to say the new TiVo app is far more reliable and provides consistently High picture quality than the previous TiVo app, at least on my LAN. I have yet to test it heavily at a remote location.

Yeah, I did know that TiVo Ted stated quite a while ago that a new TiVo app was coming, but I did not know that he had ever stated a new TiVo app specifically for Fire TV or Roku was coming. In fact, last time around, the TiVo app was available only on the Fire TV and not Roku, as far as connected devices were concerned. Thaks for the info. An additional TiVo app for the Roku would be good news for those still with roku's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts