Measuring and displaying picture resolution

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
Is there a box that can monitor and display the picture resolution (1080 i, etc.) of the video content being transmitted to my 722 receiver?

My Westinghouse has an i button that displays what it's getting. Is that really what you want to know?

I remember those Westinghouse 40" TVs going on sale on Black Friday. Is that what you have?

Most HDTV sets have a function to display the resolution they are receiving from whatever source. I can't speak for TheKrell, but I assume that is the Westinghouse to which he is referring. My LG will do the same. Keep in mind we are referring to what is being sent from the receiver to the TV set, not what is being sent to the receiver, as you asked in the OP.

Most HDTV sets have a function to display the resolution they are receiving from whatever source. I can't speak for TheKrell, but I assume that is the Westinghouse to which he is referring. My LG will do the same. Keep in mind we are referring to what is being sent from the receiver to the TV set, not what is being sent to the receiver, as you asked in the OP.
My Panny 42" plasma does as well.

I think the answer to your question is maybe, but I doubt most anyone has that. Sounds like you are asking what is the resolution being sent to the Dish receiver. That is different than what the Dish receiver is sending to the TV. Lets say the receiver is getting a 1080I signal, but you have it set to send 720P to your TV. Your TV will report a 720P signal, though that is not what your receiver is actually getting. Now lets reverse that. Your Dish receiver is getting a 720P signal, but it is set to send your TV a 1080I signal. Your TV now will report a 1080I signal, but is getting a 720P resolution, made into a 1080I signal.

Beyond even that, Dish does not send a full 1080I signal as I understand it, so a 1080I signal from Dish may be less than a 1080I signal from OTA for instance.

When Dish sends a 1080P signal, as a very few VOD movies has, your TV will then show what your receiver is actually getting, because the receiver will switch to 1080P automatically if it is already set to 1080I. Although I don't know if their 1080P signal is at full resolution either.

I thought I read somewhere here that Dish sends 1440x1080(p or i?) from the satellite to the dish. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts