Media-General Stations Adding Ion in Some Markets

I wonder if this was why WANE had originally planned to drop Antenna TV (to add Ion) but after the viewer complaints about losing Antenna TV, they must have decided to drop their Weather channel instead. And someone else in another thread suggests Justice TV might be coming to WANE - so who knows, maybe they will still lose Antenna TV.

I know a couple people will be glad with this...

can't Quad cities get 48.1 ion out of west branch it's only 44 miles away? i'm 55 miles from it and I get
technically there is no Ion affiliate in the quad cities so they **can** get an affiliate. Whether or not you can pick it up from a neighboring DMA is moot point when it comes to stations adding subs.

Same as in Lafayette, IN. Its a different market than Indy (although most Indy stations are on cable there) so it can be added.

I wonder if this was why WANE had originally planned to drop Antenna TV (to add Ion) but after the viewer complaints about losing Antenna TV, they must have decided to drop their Weather channel instead. And someone else in another thread suggests Justice TV might be coming to WANE - so who knows, maybe they will still lose Antenna TV.
Last I heard they WERE losing AntennaTV at the beginning of the year

WANE wanted to drop Antenna TV earlier in the year, and then after viewer complaints, they extended it to 12/31/15, which is still the case as far as I know. So maybe Justice (or whatever channel they get) will start 1/1/16?

And I know Lafayette is a different market, but for example - the fiber overbuilder there, Metronet, offers from the Bloomington/Indianapolis ION affiliate: ION HD, Ion Life, and qubo. I am wondering - will they be forced to drop at least the ION HD in favor of the ION SD from WLFI? Or maybe they'll carry both? And what about the Ion subchannels?

Now - on Comcast, they only offer ION HD (Bloomington/Indy) but the same question about dropping it for the SD version from WLFI applies.

Uverse isn't available because Lafayette is a former Verizon landline market that was never upgraded to FIOS and then was sold to Frontier. Frontier sells Dish Network in bundles with their ancient DSL and POTS lines.

And I know Lafayette is a different market, but for example - the fiber overbuilder there, Metronet, offers from the Bloomington/Indianapolis ION affiliate: ION HD, Ion Life, and qubo. I am wondering - will they be forced to drop at least the ION HD in favor of the ION SD from WLFI? Or maybe they'll carry both? And what about the Ion subchannels?

Now - on Comcast, they only offer ION HD (Bloomington/Indy) but the same question about dropping it for the SD version from WLFI applies.
I'm sure this is probably for just the OTA folks. Ion (in most cases) is the same across the board except for the ID at top of hour. The Ion O&O's are the same including commercials (thats why DIrectv carries the national feed in HD versus uplinking all the different locals which are the same thing)

Comcast seems to shy away from carrying the subs of Ion whereas the other cable co's do carry them. Comcast in Minneapolis doesn't but Mediacom does.

Reactions: jegrant
Ion owns two full power affiliates in the Raleigh-Durham DMA. I have always found that interesting, especially when the neighboring Charlotte DMA has none.

The Boston DMA has 3 and a translator! I am in the neighboring DMA and have none. I wonder why Directv doesn't put ion east and west with the other national/DNS feeds either side of Ch 400.

So by january this WANE CBS 15 will have 3 subchannels with Antenna, Ion, and possibly Justice. I am glad for the people in this DMA and everything but why is MG leaving us (former young stations) in the dark. I was told by one of their reps that August 19 we were supposed to know something, I emailed her twice simce then and all I get is I'll get in touch with our VP of Programming thanks for your interest. IDK whats worse these media owners or our politicians. I wish Sinclair, Scripps, Raycom, Hearst, Cox, or Weigel would buy us from MG. I'm sure we'll get a subchannel or two on the station one day but at least they can keep tabs with us. I am not complaining or trying to repeat myself or anything like that I just would like to know something.

Well anyway Dan I hope now that you keep AntennaTV for good out in Fort Wayne...cause Ole Johnny is on the way.

I'm pretty sure WRIC and WBAY are former Young stations.

- Trip
Yes they are Trip. Let me know if WLNS, WTEN, KLFY, WATE get ion or cozi, rather cozi but I'll take ion in a heartbeat. Also KXAN 36 NBC Austin launched ION amd they were one of the 4 that Media General launched Cozi on back in June so maybe we can all get lucky twice...

Sorry about post 34 I get carried away sometimes

Last edited:
and in Springfield, MA too
Shows on KXAN too, I edited a post earlier. From what I'm seeing is that Media launched Ion on its ABC stations (From the Young Media Group) like WBAY and WRIC. I figure WATE and WTEN will launch it to UNLESS they have the ION MUX already and both markets have the ION MUX so those two stations will be getting another subchannel and so will CBS affiliate WLNS. That leaves the CBS affiliate KLFY left. Based on post on this topic. Well it could be Ion, maybe cozi, or even justice. Most important progress is being made so with the 5 month wait kodos to Media for launching something in the two markets, its a start