Memory Problem C Band Dish setting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Need2learn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2018
USA
Hello I have a Uniden IRD that I used only to turn my C Band 10 ft Dish. The problem I am having if I go far west or Far East I lose the memory setting to another satellite that has been stored. Most the time it is from 5 or 7 clicks..

Anyone else ever had that problem before? Could it be my IRD not keeping the Dish setting correctly or may my actuator trying to go bad?

Receivers are designed to read a certain number of pulses from the actuator to maintain position counts. If the actuator is designed to produce a different pulse count that's what happens. When I replaced the actuator on my dish my 4DTV had the same problem. The solution for me was to remove 1 magnet from the actuator. That may, depending on what method of pulse generation your actuator uses, work or not work for you. If it worked ok in the past and is just now starting to act up it sounds like maybe the actuator may be going bad.

Here's an explanation of what causes it on a 4DTV. Yours may or may not be similar.
http://anubis.macross.com/~drlev/6511.1.htm

Reactions: FTA4PA
Receivers are designed to read a certain number of pulses from the actuator to maintain position counts. If the actuator is designed to produce a different pulse count that's what happens. When I replaced the actuator on my dish my 4DTV had the same problem. The solution for me was to remove 1 magnet from the actuator. That may, depending on what method of pulse generation your actuator uses, work or not work for you. If it worked ok in the past and is just now starting to act up it sounds like maybe the actuator may be going bad.

Here's an explanation of what causes it on a 4DTV. Yours may or may not be similar.
Ok thanks for your info

I wouldn't recommend this as a "fix" for anything other than overcoming the limited pulse count per second of the 4DTV. I am not aware of the Uniden's having the same processing error.

The user saves the count position for each satellite and the IRDs memorize the number of on/off pulse "counts" from a reference "0". Removing a magnet reduces the number of counts per second that the IRD receives and required to process, but the negative effect is that one count on the rotation has a longer movement than the rest of the counts. This will result in one portion of a motor movement not producing a count. Accuracy is reduced in this range.

More likely is the motor brushes have wear or there is common mode in the distribution that is masking the pulse counts in motor "noise". I would place a capacitor across the motor leads to test, before modifying the reed switch triggers.

Ok update I got up on my garage checked the actuator wires, and tighten all of them, I had a extra Uniden IRD in my attic did a factory default on it, and replaced the old IRD.. So far this one is working perfect.

I finally received my new 46” actuator today what a monster

Attachments

• 366E343A-9A85-4B7E-B7A5-4F472793771E.jpeg
    366E343A-9A85-4B7E-B7A5-4F472793771E.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: FTA4PA
Hello I have a Uniden IRD that I used only to turn my C Band 10 ft Dish. The problem I am having if I go far west or Far East I lose the memory setting to another satellite that has been stored. Most the time it is from 5 or 7 clicks..

Anyone else ever had that problem before? Could it be my IRD not keeping the Dish setting correctly or may my actuator trying to go bad?
Reed switch in the actuator motor #1. Slop in the gear train or motor/coupling. A wobbly or old, weak magnet that triggers the reed switch.

Reed switch in the actuator motor #1. Slop in the gear train or motor/coupling. A wobbly or old, weak magnet that triggers the reed switch.
It was just worn out, it been up there since for about 15 yrs.. I installed the new today night and day difference.

I did have one small problem with the new Venture actuator they didn't install the boot correctly, it was clamped down on the actuator way to high up on it,I didn't notice that until I went to go one of the most western satellite like galaxy 30 125 w and it wouldn't go all the way down.

I think Venture must be a small type of business operation the reason I said that it took them 3 weeks to make it, and it looks like they are working out someone garage pictured below. But it really doesn't matter they did a good job and if any ordered one from them make sure you check your boot before installing it.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 100
Now days, Venture primarily manufactures actuators for commercial applications, gate openers and RV slideouts. The satellite version of the actuators are built on demand between the runs that pay the bills. Fortunately, the original Venture owner's son still runs the business and recalls his father' building the first actuator at the family's kitchen table and retains the passion for supporting the satellite industry.

I did have one small problem with the new Venture actuator they didn't install the boot correctly, it was clamped down on the actuator way to high up on it,I didn't notice that until I went to go one of the most western satellite like galaxy 30 125 w and it wouldn't go all the way down.

I think Venture must be a small type of business operation the reason I said that it took them 3 weeks to make it, and it looks like they are working out someone garage pictured below. But it really doesn't matter they did a good job and if any ordered one from them make sure you check your boot before installing it.
They have been around since 1971, have a 45000 sq ft ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturing facility and 5000 sq ft of office space so I'd say that's a pretty big garage! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Elsguy and Titanium
Now days, Venture primarily manufactures actuators for commercial applications, gate openers and RV slideouts. The satellite version of the actuators are built on demand between the runs that pay the bills. Fortunately, the original Venture owner's son still runs the business and recalls his father' building the first actuator at the family's kitchen table and retains the passion for supporting the satellite industry.
Ok I was just wondering that mess sense now..

I think what you said makes the most sense, they might just be using little part of there of there company to do satellite actuator, but if you get one from them make sure you check the boot, the actuator need to be fully extended then put the boot on and it will be correctly done.

One question according to their paper work it never needs to be greased is that so ? with the built in boot?

Have you tried grabbing the clamped boot by hand and move it down the tube by twisting and pulling it down bit by bit? You may just be able to get it to move a couple inches. If not you can always cut the clamp and replace it with a new hose clamp.

One question according to their paper work it never needs to be greased is that so ? with the built in boot?
I've never greased one, and mine are about 25~ years old and still perfect. You just have to make sure your polar mount is properly setup, and fully balanced right, so the actuator doesn't have to FIGHT to do anything.

Reactions: Comptech
I've never greased one, and mine are about 25~ years old and still perfect. You just have to make sure your polar mount is properly setup, and fully balanced right, so the actuator doesn't have to FIGHT to do anything.
Ok Thanks for the info..... Yeah it setup perfect able to go from 30w to 139w with no problem

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)