Meter question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

airshopping

Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hi,

I read from a answer here states that:

>The universal LNB gives you a wider scanning range but cant be used with most satellite meters as it also uses a 22khz tone switch

As I am going to buy a FS95 or FS100 meter, but I do have an universal LNB, so can anybody explain to me if I can use the meter? Why? I was confused by the statement.

Thanks,

It will not work, best to buy a Standard KU LNBF at the same time and use it with the signal meter.

"Universal" LNB, meaning that it has a 9.75 GHz internal oscillator for "low band" use and a 10.6 GHz oscillator that is selected by feeding a 22kHz tone to it for "high band" use.

A Universal LNB requires a 22kHz tone at 0.5v p-p to switch its Local Oscillator to 10.6GHz ("high band"). Otherwise it uses its 9.75GHz oscillator.

Polarity switching is controlled by dc voltage supplied by the receiver. 12.5v to 14.5v gives vertical and 15.5 to 18v gives horizontal polarisation. A higher voltage than that can damage the LNB. A voltage that is too low will prevent the LNB from working correctly.

People keep asking me what sort of LNB they have.
The only way to determine whether an LNB is "universal" is to supply it with a 22kHz "tone" and see if the picture disappears (it switches to "high band"). However, most Universal LNBs are clearly marked either "Universal" or "9.75/10.6".

A lot of motorised systems use a Universal LNB nowadays. This is good from the point of view of ease of installation and adjustment but it really is a compromise if you are dealing with any weak signals. Where a weak analogue signal might give a picture with terrible "sparklies", a weak digital signal can give a blank screen and no sound. You need to cut the losses as low as possible and provide an accurate adjustment for "skew" which is the rotational angle at which your dish receives the signal from the satellite.

Hope the above helps.

Thanks, Peter. It makes a lot of sense now. You help a lot.

One more question: in your last sentense:

>You need to cut the losses as low as possible and provide an accurate adjustment for "skew" which is the rotational angle at which your dish receives the signal from the satellite.

Do you mean the rotation of Standard KU LNBF ?

:)

Rotation/skew/Polarization/Tilt is a factor in all KU LNBF universal and standard, overall I would have to say standard LNBF perform better than an identical noise level universal LNBF.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=28415

Whoops forgot to say Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US.

Skew: (Only for vertically or horizontally polarized channels) The vertical polarization plane of a satellite exactly south is also vertical for the antenna. If the received satellite is not south the LNB must be rotated (eat more Haggis) to follow the polarization plane. For a rotating polar-mounted antenna this rotation is intrinsically realized. For a fixed antenna (elevation/azimuth mount) the column "skew" give the rotation (degrees) to be applied to the LNB. Sign + = turn clockwise facing the satellite (northern hemisphere). (+ = counter clockwise for southern latitudes).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts