Meter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
I am looking for a multi meter or volt meter what ever it's called under $25 any recommendations? I wanted to test out a power supply for a tv. It is an LG 55lb5900 any advice?

Do you have soldering tools to replace electrical components? Look at the power supply board. Carefully inspect the large capacitors. You most likely will find a capacitor with the end of the can slightly bulging. This is a blown capacitor. Identify the value and replace it. I just did a couple on a computer monitor. Fixed a couple TVs that way too.

I am looking for a multi meter or volt meter what ever it's called under $25 any recommendations? I wanted to test out a power supply for a tv. It is an LG 55lb5900 any advice?

Harbor Freight sells them for practically nothing, and they are actually pretty good digital meters. Even the $5.99 7 function one they sometimes give away on a coupon, can do what you need. They have an 11 function one for $24 also, if you want a better quality one.

Reactions: harshness
Amazon product ASIN B0136YQD02And give you stuff you may never use. Any meter at this price point will not be very accurate, but will be close enough for what you want to do.

If you're not trying to measure something exotic (frequency, power factor), the cheap meters work just fine. The real drawback is that they tend to have pretty crappy leads and lack backlighting.

Reactions: primestar31

Oh, by the way: I have a 2013 42LA6200 LG LED tv set that started acting up. It turned out to be one of the led's on the strips inside was intermittently shorting out, and causing the switching power supply to trip out. I watched a Youtube video on how to replace the strip, bought one from Ebay, tore down the tv set, and replaced it. I then put everything back together and it hasn't failed to this day. That was over a year ago, and it's still working fine.

Let me warn you though: IF your tv set has the same issue (likely), the actual lcd screen itself is like handling a large sheet of newspaper, very thin, and very floppy. It is EXTREMELY easy to damage. If you do so, you might have issues depending on where it got chipped or cracked. Then again, if your tv set would otherwise be a throwaway, you might as well give it a try if you suspect a bad led strip is also your issue.

P.S. Once you replace a bad led strip, turn DOWN the backlighting setting as far as you can to still see a good pic, but not so bright (no need for "torch mode") that it can cause more led's to go bad.

I can see when it comes up says HDMI 1 like normal then it will go screen goes dark. It will flash at you on and off. The tv will stay on until you shut it off.

I can see when it comes up says HDMI 1 like normal then it will go screen goes dark. It will flash at you on and off. The tv will stay on until you shut it off.

Likely it is a LED strip like what Primestar described. I recently fixed a Sony TV, which had many LEDs in all 3 strips burned out. I ordered the new strips on Ebay and it was fixed. Same thing - it would flash the logo and go black. When I opened it up, I powered it up and and saw the flashing 6 lights and the 9 dead ones. If you are seeing the logo, odds are it isn't the power supply.

Good luck!

Reactions: KE4EST
Agreed, it isn't the power supply, unless perhaps it is part of the PS.
If in a very dark room can you see anything on the screen even super dim?
Shine a flash light on the screen. Can you see the logo now?

Yes when I plugged it in. Tv turns on and I seen the it will tell what input you are on like HDMI port 1 then the screen will go out then come back. This is same problem I have.

Yes when I plugged it in. Tv turns on and I seen the it will tell what input you are on like HDMI port 1 then the screen will go out then come back. This is same problem I have.

I'll bet money it's an led strip. That's the exact same thing mine did for over 1 year until I replaced the bad strip with the bad led that was shorting. I used some old power bricks I had laying around to put together a 32volt power source, to power the strips outside the tv to find the bad led's. That was over a year ago, and not one problem since then. It's a known problem with led tv's, especially LG's when the backlighting is turned too bright and can cause early led failure.

Reactions: danristheman
What adhesive do I use for the LED strips? I try and to keep my settings low unless for a short time. So overall are they hard to replace?

What adhesive do I use for the LED strips? I try and to keep my settings low unless for a short time. So overall are they hard to replace?

I just used a drip of Superglue here and there. The strips themselves are easy to replace, it's the entire tv set tear down and put back together that's chancy. The thing you need to most watch out for as I said earlier, is the actual LCD screen is VERY fragile. I laid towels on a large table, and laid my set carefully down on it for the tear down and repair. You will most likely need a second person to help you when it comes to carefully removing and later replacing the actual screen. You both need to coordinate that screen move very carefully. Your screen size is even larger than mine, and I needed myself and another for that part.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)