Metro Detroit (Royal Oak) review

antenna "service" call

Well, Don-Lor's came by today to upgrade my antenna so I could get channel 50. Didn't go well.

Almost as soon as I was opening the door, the tech was saying that I wouldn't be able to get ch 50 due to a tree being in the way. So I brought him downstairs to show him ch. 50 that I'm somehow able to get through the same tree and through the basement walls as well. Suddenly he was of the opinion that I need an omni-directional antenna, which of course he doesn't have and will have to order. Apparently he was planning on upgrading me to the antenna I already have -- I'm thinking the communication in this company may be slightly lacking. He called and allegedly set things up with Don-Lor's, who will clear things with Voom, and I'll just have to call on Tuesday to set up yet another antenna upgrade service call. I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Does anyone have any idea what omni-directional antenna they may upgrade to? Do they use several different models or just one? Is one better than the others? Any amplification in these things? I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who may know if there's anything I can do to improve my chances of getting this handled with the next call. I can only miss so much work, y'know? I've got new satellite service to pay for!

antenna "service" call II & III

My OTA saga is finally over - and just one month and three service calls after the initial installation!
I already posted about the first service call, where the dude brought the same antenna as was initially installed and said I need a multi-directional. The next call may have been even worse - the original install dude showed up without any antenna at all! That makes it really tough to upgrade an antenna. That stop wasn't a total bust, however, - I got him to repeak the dish, and am now getting a much stronger satellite signal. I also was able to convince him multi-directional wasn't the solution - that this tower is located between channels that I'm getting just fine and can we just get something bigger or amplified?
Finally, yesterday, one month after getting Voom, the upgrade happened. Original install dude showed up with a big-ass ChannelMaster and slapped it up on the roof and I immediately got channel 50, and stronger reception for my other channels!

A note about Don-Lor's, the company that handled this mess: They kinda suck at the whole service thing. They've been to my house four times now, and were only on time once. Twice -- twice! -- they failed to show up between the scheduled hours of 8 & 12 and when I called informed me that my appt. was for between 12 & 5 -- despite confirming all morning that it was a morning appt and that the tech would soon be calling me. Apparently, once they realize they won't make the appointment they simply change it so they can just say you had it mixed up. Yesterday, I was scheduled for 8-12 AS THE FIRST STOP OF THE DAY - even called the day before and spoke with a manager (Jillian?) who assured me they had the proper antenna and that they would be here first thing in the morning. They didn't get here until almost 1pm. All morning long as I called to inquire and bitch, I was told yes I'm 1st, he's on the way, he'll be there shortly, no he has no other stops first. Finally, I call Voom to cancel service and they get Installs on the other line who gets Don-Lors on the other line and somehow mange to light a fire under this slug's ass. It's also worth noting that Voom's computer showed that they had already been there that day and had completed the call. Now they say they never said I'd be first, he's on the way, but I won't be able to get channel 50 anyway because I have too many trees. Ugh. And also that Voom wouldn't approve a big-ass antenna and they're sending a multi-directional instead. Ugh. Ugh. Then he showed up with a big-ass antenna and it worked like a charm. All's well that ends well, I guess -- but I will never be having Don-Lor's' band of idiots out to my place again. Life's too short.

For what it's worth . . .

It's raining, and I'm actually watching Voom! No rain fade? Unprecedented. Hopefully it's the beginning of a new trend due to the repeaking of my dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)