OTA Signal Strength Problem(merged with the Metro Detroit thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtruong

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Royal Oak, MI
Moderator Note: Thread merged with the Metro Detroit thread.

Here’s my situation. I can finally pick up all of my local OTA channels, but channels 50, 56, and 62 (UPN, PBS, and CBS) have a very weak signal. I haven’t been able to watch more than a few minutes on these channels before it freezes and I lose the channel. I’ve checked the signal strengths for the other channels and they’re great. Channel 2, 4, and 7 (Fox, NBC, and ABC) are usually around 90 and channel 20 (WB) is around 70.

It seems that the UHF channels (50, 56, 62) are the worse in terms of signal strength. Although is channel 20 UHF or VHF? Anyway, I do have a technician coming out on the 17th (the earliest Saturday appointment I could get), but I wanted to find out what should I make sure he checks out? For something like this, would raise the antenna help? Should I expect him to replace the antenna with a different one? What other things should I make sure he checks out? Thanks in advance!

John

If the weak stations are a few degrees off from the stronger ones the tech may be able to move the antenna slightly to get the best of both. Moving the antenna may help as well. The best method I have experienced is having the tech use a hands free cell phone while on the roof and you on the home phone in front of the TV checking reception changes. He won't be able to upgrade unless Voom directs him to which means that you have to convince Voom you need to be upgraded so they will instruct the tech to do so.

Moderator Note: I moved this thread to the "In Your Area" forum because we are trying to keep all OTA questions in one location.

OTA Signal Strength Problem

Increasing height will probably help but it could be all you need to do is rotate the antenna towards the transmitter. Go to www.antennaweb.org, type in your info and look at your street level map. This map shows your house in relation to the broadcasting towers. If it is a rotation issue, you have to ask yourself, is it worth $100.00 (material cost:rotator and wire) to receive the channel. Keep in mind that OTA will cause you to loose hair and cuss your loved ones (way too many factors that effect reception). What comes in great today doesn't imply that it will tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses. I checked antennaweb.org and the direction for channel 56 and 62 is the same direction as channel 20 and 20 is coming in great. Channel 50 is in a slightly different direction, but not much.

I like the idea of the tech adjusting the antenna while I check the signal strength. I'll make sure to recommend that if the tech doesn't. I SOOOO hoping that the tech doesn't muck something else up by trying to fix this problem.

John

Hey there jtruong I think it depends how much power the station is putting out makes a big diffrence, because I get a bunch of ota channels but UPN 50 which is in the same direction has never come in at all..

Channel 2 is in the same direction but I only get that one during prime time 8pm and after, I am just making a educated guess here maybe some one could tell you a little better than me..

I get 4,7,56,62,38, and I just got mapped for WB channel 20, and I am getting that during the mid day so that is telling me that I will get that station all the time (I Hope).. Good luck Cya Slick

Tvlman said:
How do you check signal strength for OTA?

Tylman : Press your "HELP" button... should be on Options & Settings page, "Getting Started" should be highlighted, Press your "INFO" button... should be on EPG information page, "Epg: 1.9.6D" should be highlighted, Press your "OK" button... should be on Help page, 1st page is "System Status - Hardware"... you want page 3 "System Status - Channel", Press down button twice... should be there...

Hey there jtruong I am on the very most east side o Michigan on the Saint Clair river, 32 mile and I-94 right on the border of Canada and the US.. I have been thinking about getting a rotor for my antenna so I can get Canadian channels on the old tv..

Well good luck to you on your quest for OTA channels, in can be tiring at times but worth it.. Cya Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts