Mexico signal issues

I am on vacation and not in house to check. I liver in San Miguel De Allende and my Dish is a 2Mtr Dish I believe and a smaller Dish used for HD. My nephew who lives with me is reporting most channels still alive but no NY or San Fran locals, no E,no A and E,no ESPN, etc.I am not near as technical as most here, more of a consumer. However I tried to get Chicago locals about 6 months ago and couldn't do it. Have they moved to a new satellite? People are freaking here esp those with small Dishes who are getting nothing now.

Anyone know if a Dish receiver can be hacked to work with Shaw?

Mac please check on this lost of people in mexico city that is south is getting transponder 15 well on a 8 ft dish so you shoud recieve sf and ny with no problem with this dish they also have espn. on tp 11
they are missiog TP 8, 12, 20

Hi MexicoPete and everyone, I'm glad I found this thread, I didn't know of this transition but I found out last night the hard way, many of my channels disappeared, , luckily I found all this great info here.
I'm very far from an expert on this matters, do you think the signal will still reach Mexico City on the new E7 or this is it for us living down here? I hope not.

I'm interested in that Shaw broker info, where can I get it?.

Thank you.

defuentes, PM the user pablovi, he has the info on the Shaw broker.

5/19/2010: CONUS Transponders 8,9,11,12,15,16,19,20 are now coming from the Echostar 14 satellite.

Future:

Transponder 6,10,13,14,17,18,21 will move over to E14 on May24th AM.

Hello digiblur, on your post you only mention a total of 15 CONUS tp's they have licence to operate 21 channels @ 119W are they reducing 1 national beam?

they had active @ EVII: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
total of 16 CONUS and 5 Spot....

Not sure if this helps but I am in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur and am renting a condo which has Dish network. I checked the system and it says satellite 119, all the channels seem to be working including HBO, I don't even know the DN package the owner has here, don't see any local news channels. I will go up on the roof monday and see what size dish he has installed. Is my TV going to go bye bye? I actually wouldn't mind upgrading to HD but will need to get new reciever as the ones here are the basic model. How big a dish would I need here in Cabo to get new satellite 129?

Hello digiblur, on your post you only mention a total of 15 CONUS tp's they have licence to operate 21 channels @ 119W are they reducing 1 national beam?

they had active @ EVII: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
total of 16 CONUS and 5 Spot....

E14 has the capabilities of more than 5 TP's used for spots but at this time they will only be using 1-5 for spots. 6-21 will be used for CONUS+ beam (AK, HI, PR, and 48 states)

Use the SatMaps! tab at the top, and you can find the CONUS beam for E14.

Hello to all users in Fringe areas (specially Mexico),
I just want to let you guys know some factors before getting nervious regarding satellite changes specifically EVII for EXIV.

People in fringe areas use larger antennas than people in Footprint, therefore:

Antenna gain is directly proportional to aperture; larger aperture produces a higher gain and narrower beamwidth.
When you have a narrower beamwidth (all larger antenna users) will notice more changes than people with smaller aperture (wider beamwidth) they don't have to peak and re-peak, the signal is intended to serve the area where they are located.
People in Fringe by the other hand should wait until they migrate all CONUS beams and then re-peak to newer bird....remember now you are willing to receive the signal from a new bird (satellite) and it isn't in the exact same location where EVII was or is....try adjusting the antenna.....very slightly, if your signal doesn't improve then you might consider other factors like buying larger antennas, LNBF with more gain, etc.

My report...

Dish TV 250 Package
Antenna: 1.8M dish aimed at 119 sat on roof of 15 story apartment building

The below trans come in, scattered cumulus clouds, no rain time of report

TRAN / SIGNAL

6 / 45
11 / 46
13 / 61
14 / 45
15 / 45
17 / 57
18 / 36
19 / 45
20 / 60

all other TRANS are zero, nothing, zip, zero

Alex, Dish has growing business on Mexico, is possible that they want more subscribers also for their business on the country.

I have a question for you.. what is the satellite that you receive with the photos... what I mean is the center satellite is 119 or 110?

Those are great readings man is your dish magical? Mine is 8 feet and i'm not getting those numbers! AQre you sure you live in mexico city?

My big dish is a Channel Master Dish clon, it's made in Mexico, Fiber Glass and Aluminum it's offset, it´s 8' lenght by 9' tall here some pics:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/643...1003101345.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2...1003101345.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9...1003101345.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/411...1003101345.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8...1003101345.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/255...1003101344.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2...1003101344.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/195...1003101343.jpg

Mexico had a lot of subscribers but now with this changes i think i will decreased.

Just got my shaw direct that uses a smaller dish

NO LUCK

Sorry to tell you, I have tried transponder 20 with a commercial 2.4m Channel Master dish.
Using a brand new legacy Aspen Eagle L.N.B connected directly to the receiver.
Not a point in transponders, 8, 14 and 20.

We are crossing our fingers hoping that we will have better luck this Monday, when they are suppose to finish their Conus transition.

Good Luck to all of you.

El discutido
:(

Sorry to tell you, I have tried transponder 20 with a commercial 2.4m Channel Master dish.
Using a brand new legacy Aspen Eagle L.N.B connected directly to the receiver.
Not a point in transponders, 8, 14 and 20.

We are crossing our fingers hoping that we will have better luck this Monday, when they are suppose to finish their Conus transition.

Good Luck to all of you.

El discutido
:(

where are you located? I have signal on Transponder 20

When in Mexico, I live in the greater Guadalajara area, along the shores of Lake Chapala and regularly write a column called Tech Talk for an English language newspaper down there. At a recent public meeting with representatives of the US Consulate, we were told that there are approximately 1,000,000 Americans living in Mexico. And during the winter months, there are many many of us snowbirds who come south for the winter, from Northern (and cold) US cities and especially from Canada.

It's amazing how few of my fellow Americans who live or visit Mexico, speak Spanish and they therefore need their US TV fix. (I speak street Spanish, but I need my fix too, including my hometown [Seattle] programming.) Now some of us still have our old C band systems, some use Star Choice, now called Shaw Direct (two satellites at 107.3 and 111.1). Which have very strong footprints in my area. In fact with an elliptical dish measuring 26.5 by 36.5 inches, you get all of the transponders (channels) to include the US networks even during moderate rain.

But there is nothing better than Dish, we all know that. When I left in early May to return to Seattle with my HD receiver in my backpack, I had a 1.8 meter pointed at 110, and a 2.4 meter pointed at 129. And with Echo* 7 there was so much bleed-over that we got a good signal with a 4 footer. NO MORE. The signal strength is much weaker, but apparently it's still there. Now here is the good news I hope. Early reports from a local Guadalajara dealer suggest that a 1.8 meter dish will/might bring in the feeds from Echo* 14. Some local satellite nerds are having problems doing as well as the dealer and only time will tell the Echo* 14 future in Central Mexico.

For those of you who from Central Mexico who are interested, there is a non technical forum for those of us who live along the shores of Lake Chapala, a suburb of Guadalajara that has several strings covering reception of Echo* 14. If you're interested, visit chapala.com Web Board and left-click on Ajijic, Chapala, & Guadalajara. Several are regularly posting their 119 signal strengths for those transponders not used for spot beams the bleed-over into central Mexico.

What am I going to do when I return in the fall? Well assuming preliminary data is correct for signal strength, I'm going to point my 2.4 meter at 119, continue to use the 1.8 meter at 110 and use my very tight meshed 12 foot C/Ku Band dish which already has a DISH LNB on it to pick up all that great HD programming on 129 And for my Seattle local stations in HD? *Choice now called Shaw Direct, of course.

And if I can't get 119 anymore, no big deal, most if not all of the channels there are in SD anyway. There is great DISH programming especially in HD on mostly 129 and some on 110 as I recollect after having two too many beers tonight. Thanks for being there Satellite guys. Usually I just read and don't post. Because most of you are so much smarter than me :)

Last edited:
Did you actually read the topic where you're writing? is you has read it, you can saw that those tp and the rest will be un available to mos part of Mexico and Central America.

The only fix is change your dish for a lot bigger one BUT i don't recommend you this option until the transition is complete.

Have lost all major networks and a few others like Disney, as of May 19, 2010.

Any ideas on a fix or timeline?

Thanks.

Anybody get Bloomberg channel in Mexico City right now?

I may add that channel to my programming, hence my question

It seems likely with the interest that is being shown in Satmex that they're trying to minimize the leakage into Mexico.

You know the U.S. sat companies have to realize that they have subs south of the border that pay their bills, abeit some in a round about way. While it may be "illegal" or frowned upon, it still brings $$ into their coffers.

You would think that they would leave the footprint alone.....

just my 2 cents....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)