Mi Box as an alternative to a Joey? Maybe.

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I bought one of these Mi Box Android TV units at Walmart for $69 and the hardware is pretty decent (not sure how it handles 4K as I don't have a 4K TV) and initially I was pretty disappointed with the offerings on the "Android TV" PlayStore. (Think GoogleTV PlayStore...) Almost to the point to where I was just going to take it back. Well I did go to Wal-Mart only to buy a new USB flash drive and try my luck sideloading apps on the unit.

Well after sideloading some of my games and other apps not on the Android TV Playstore I watched the Walking Dead tonight and a couple of other shows on my DISH Hopper w/ Sling DVR and the thought came to to me to sideload DISH ANYWHERE.

It WORKS! But with a little quirk, like the actual Mi Box remote does not seem to work with the App (besides scrolling down) I'm using a Logitech K400r. (Similar to the Logitech Revue Keyboard)

On the first image I am using a custom launcher called TV Launcher.. In my opinion the Mi Box default homescreen/launcher is really poor.

The Mi Box
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mi-Box-Android-TV/54827138

So this could be an alternative to the Joey until the App updates and DISH blocks people from doing it :)
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

I just tried a DVR recording and it doesn't seem to initialize when you choose watch on device. :( Live TV works and the channel remote within the app works though ...

I've had a cheap Android box connected to a rarely used tv for Dish Anywhere for ages, works just fine - but it uses regular Android, not "Android/Google TV".

I've tried out a few of those cheap android boxes but PQ was always an issue for me, along with WiFi signal issues. (Which are probably some what tied together BUT I bought an USB ethernet dongle and the PQ didn't really improve much on those devices).

I would love to find an android box that can operate dish anywhere on my tv flawlessly. I was hoping it was the mi box, but ohioankev, can you confirm that DVR recordings still can't be initialized on the mi box? That's a deal breaker for me.

Peggy - do DVR recordings initialize on your android box?

Well it was working OK but then last night I got an update to H3 that has caused things to go haywire. Have had to reboot the H3 several times, still not sure all is OK. Will have to give it some time.

Has anyone tried one of those Intel "PC on a stick" units? That might be the answer for this.
They are OK....Alot of heat....processors not as fast as a stand alone...There even windows based if you like.

So this could be an alternative to the Joey until the App updates and DISH blocks people from doing it
I think that's why this device uses their own "store" vs the Google Play Store. They have people who simply pull apps from authorized stores and make them available in their store. If Dish/Sling does update their app to stop from working like this, the Mi box's store will simply not offer it. Of course, Dish/Sling will eventually not allow a DishAnywhere app that's too old.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
i use dish anywhere with amazon firetv. it works fine for live and recorded content. i use a somewhat older version of the APK from apkmirror.com

I'm using in on a vip722k with sling. No hopper here.

Reactions: dare2be
Thanks Mattv - I tried multiple different apk's for dish anywhere on my first gen firetv stick and none of them worked. Can you tell me which version you are using?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)