Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
In light of recent events (ie, Mr. Cascade's SG2100 packing up under the weight of his Fortec 1.2m dish) and preparing to (finally) place my order for a 120cm, I'm faced with some decisions.

Sadoun has 120cm dishes for $175, plus up to $200 shipping = $375 total
(Fortec Star - 17kg, Arperature Efficiency 75% min, Pole Diameter: 45 – 75 mm)

Eyeinthesky has 120cm dishes for $169, plus $82 shipping = $251
(Baja Beach/Azure Shine - ?kg, Aperture Efficiency >80%, Pole Diameter: 76 mm)

An ebay seller I contacted from the UK has 120cm/0.3dB LNB combos for about $240 SHIPPED to my door. I stopped considering this option when I found out that the dish thickness was only 0.8mm. (Tinfoil need not apply)

For obvious reasons, I'm leaning toward eyeinthesky. The only downfall there is that I'll have to modify/replace the bracket so it properly mates to my Sg2100. Though I might do that anyhow to lighten the load. From what I've been able to dig up (correct me if I'm wrong, please) the Sg2100's are rated for 10kg. Fortec 1.2m dishes are well over that, so I'm assuming the Baja Beach is as well. As shown above, I don't know the exact thickness of the Baja, but the vendor described the Fortec as "flimsy" in comparison. I thought perhaps wire mesh dishes would be lighter, but after some research it appears I'm wrong. That's a shame, as I had lofty ideas of a 180 or 200cm light mesh dish being modified to go on my H-H motor, for even better C-band reception :rolleyes:

So I figured I'd ask everyone here for advice. What would you do? I need at least a 1.2m dish. I'm on a budget. I have everything else I need (H-H motor, C-band lnb). I've seen people build light-weight 'brackets' on smaller dishes to lighten things up out of channel or similar. Any ideas? I'm insistant about having my MicroBUD setup soon! :D

Where did you find the spec that sg2100 can handle 10 kg max? My sg2100 handles 120cm fortec dish, but it seems to struggle with it just a bit. I got HH120 from Sadoun last week and it can handle up to 17 kg max.

I have been crazy busy with work and haven't put it up yet (or played with my dish in over two weeks :( ).

The 10kg spec came off the web somewhere. Upon closer inspection, though the page was riddled with SG2100 labels, it was a STAB motor being discussed. So I guess I still don't know the SG2100's official max weight. It sounds like if my dish is 17kg, though, lightening it any way possible would be a good idea; Thanks, vj9999.

Oooohhh, an actuator! And Diseqc controlled, even! Wow.... now I'm seriously tempted. I'd love to try that. i'll have to see if I can get a price quote... thanks, Shawn!

Tron said:
Sometimes I have a burning desire to take a trip to Europe...

WOW!!! Look at what they have! Try finding a FTA receiver with built-in DVD player at your favorite U.S. retailer... :D

Or, for that matter, ANY FTA reciever...

Totally agree.
You won't ever see an FTA receiver in a store over here. If a retailer even thought about it every single FTA signal (save maybe the evangelist stations and some very foreign ones) would get scrambled within a few weeks. I'm pretty sure the only reason our hobby is what it is (and worthwhile) is becuase Mr. Average Joe American isn't out buying a 76cm dish and an STB. As soon as this is the case, things will change drastically for us. Yet another reason for MicroBUD's, as I'm sure Ku will get hit first :D

... but here's hoping that'll never happen!
Curse capitolistic American business trying to milk us of every dang drop...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PBS program SCHEDULE

I spent $4 on 3 useless dishes! Now I want ideas :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)