GEOSATpro MicroHD is Cycling Standby / Reboot

just a thought in my head. what if the receiver is putting the dish moving on the screen and then it has no satellite to move to? and reboots? did a few years programming for at&t in the 80's and strange things can happen in a program. charlie

The .udf files have been sent to ALI engineers for review. All documented memory allocations are correct and we are questioning if there is an undocumented and conflicting block. Should have an answer shortly...

Hello Satguys, I just wanted everyone to know I received my MicroHD cable and it works just fine. I would have rather had the unit go back to factory default when something like this happens, but Okay! It just means that I now learned something more about how the unit works. My thanks goes out to (Staff Member ke4est) for his personal help in getting me backup and running. Yes, the cable cost me some money, but I feel more secure knowing that I now have a tool to save myself when I make mistakes. It was worth it to me!:).

Very glad that you got her up and running....and don't hesitate to contact me in the future if you should need any help.

Just an information question. Could this cable be set up with an adapter to do the computer hookup for a TS 570dg, etc.?

I really don't know RV isn't the 570 a straight serial connection?

unescapable cyclical reboot

blind scan 116.8W (same location as 118.8W?) no program found
went to sat list
removed heart 116
pressed exit
went back to channels list to select 118 to see if any channels needed favoriting
(I forget if I had un-hearted 118 or not)
it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came tyo blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted,

pressing any button on remote didn't escape the loop
unplugging power a minute and re powering didn't escape the loop

a few times earlier today I was trying to organize favorites into the 10 groups I set up by ...I ran down the Channels list, selected each satellite in turn, sometimes selected one I forgot I had un-hearted/selected a channel which was on an un-hearted satellite (or it rebooted as it chose the top one on that sat) and it rebooted instantly from the channels list, but came back all the way up.

This time, nope.... I need to find the escape key.

I have no channel editor and haven't done anything with a computer connected to the microhd, just an antenna is connected, have not saved udf or whatever they are files

Firmware version is the 8-29 one from here done the other day by USB and power cycled and reset afterwards and worked fine through several power cycles since then.

I did the update to the firmware prior to doing channel scans so I'd be starting with the newest, so I had no need to import old lists.

To recreate:

I was organizing Favs into categories by using channel list, some channels (121) had their satellites de-hearted (but I had scanned and had 2 channels from 121 in the channels list) if there was only 1 or 2 channels, like echostar saying "congrats, you are pointed at 121W" the channel was stored, but satellite 121W deselected/unhearted, but when I forget and selected that 121W (unhearted) sat in the TV channels list Satelitte button on remote drop down list, it reboots.

Favs I was sorting into groups like (didn't get finished)

1 Retro Vintage

6 Music

7 Christian-Hebrew

8 News Weather

10 Asian

Last edited:
Looks like sort of the same problem I had just a week ago, but diffrent Satellite. The only way I was able to get my MicroHD backup and running is purchase the (MicroHD Recovery cable). Might want to go and look at (MyProblem) post. Please read that post and see if it helps!

blind scan 113W (same location as 118W?) no program found
went to sat list
removed heart 113
pressed exit
went back to channels list to select 118 to see if any channels needed favoriting
it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came tyo blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted,

pressing any button on remote didn't escape the loop
unplugging power a minute and re powering didn't escape the loop

a few times earlier today I was trying to organize favorites into the 10 groups I set up by ...I ran down the Channels list, selected each satellite in turn, sometimes selected one I forgot I had un-hearted/selected a channel which was on an un-hearted satellite (or it rebooted as it chose the top one on that sat) and it rebooted instantly from the channels list, but came back all the way up.

This time, nope.... I need to find the escape key.

I have no channel editor and haven't done anything with a computer connected to the microhd, just an antenna is connected, have not saved udf or whatever they are files

Firmware version is the 8-29 one from here done the other day by USB and power cycled and reset afterwards and worked fine through several power cycles since then.

I did the update to the firmware prior to doing channel scans so I'd be starting with the newest, so I had no need to import old lists.

To recreate:

I was organizing Favs into categories by using channel list, some channels (121) had their satellites de-hearted (but I had scanned and had 2 channels from 121 in the channels list) if there was only 1 or 2 channels, like echostar saying "congrats, you are pointed at 121W" the channel was stored, but satellite 121W deselected/unhearted, but when I forget and selected that 121W (unhearted) sat in the TV channels list Satelitte button on remote drop down list, it reboots.

Favs I was sorting into groups like (didn't get finished)

1 Retro Vintage

6 Music

7 Christian-Hebrew

8 News Weather

10 Asian

blind scan 113W (same location as 118W?) no program found
went to sat list
removed heart 113
pressed exit
it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came tyo blue MicroHD screen, rebooted, it rebooted by itself, came to blue MicroHD screen, rebooted

Sorry to hear of the reboot cycling. We are close to resolving and excahnging files with ALI engineers.

A 5vcc TTL serial cable can be used to extract the current .udf file (we would appreciate a copy emailed to support@satelliteav.com) and install a new .udf file.

Thank you!

I'll try to get one of those cables ordered soon and e-mail the file if I figure it out

I am in process of getting my 6' Sadoun C-band dish assembled and spot prepared for concrete etc ... been using the Geosat 90cm on the HH90 mounted on a steel fencepost till then (neighbor's fence)

Going to use my "backup" MicroHD till then, I just updated the firmware in it minutes ago, factory reset, powered down, unplugged, powered up, factory reset, powered down, powered up, hooked up coax, tried to use the USALS I had all set up on prior MicroHD, and it says "Out of Range" using Usals (on my True South Sats (would be 98W) 99W and on 97W) so I'm assigning motor positions and using Disqcq 1.2 or whatever it is and that says "moving dish) and lands on 90%S and 70%Q so I'm blind scanning those two right now on the other new MicroHD ... I'll read and try to order that cable now.

<Embarrassment emoticon>

Thanks, I suppose I should have entered my Lat Long in the second MicroHD instead of thinking it could read the mind of the other one

I'm a TV watcher, not a Satellite guy, and can build computers blindfolded since before there was plug n pray when we had to know what IRQ and DMA to set with jumpers and dip switches and to change speeds you De-soldered the oscillator and put in a faster one ...and developed a data compression method in the 1960s, beat the unbeatable AT&T Tic Tac Toe computer at HemisFair Worlds Fair in San Antonio, they made after IBM's Big Blue chess game, .... and I forget and do not think of the simplest stuff now .... Retirement is great ...old age brain sucks.

Thanks

Last edited:
I really don't know RV isn't the 570 a straight serial connection?
Yes, My computer has USB and TS570 is a db9. I finally did get an USB to DB9 adapter working - but I was wondering if your adapter would give me the wires I needed to build an adapter to the DB9..... Two commercial adapters would not talk to my computer and N1MM logger. The one from my WX computer does and it is 5 years old! (Oh, I see the TS 570 is 9 years old!)... Back to topic. Thought if I could use it for the TS, it would be worth having around!, so it was on topic - just not expressed right.

I am back up and running with a new MicroHD unit. My supplier did not have a TTL cable with the correct connector so he swapped my cycle bound unit with a new one. Thank you, Dr Sat. I have started from scratch again as I had not yet backed up the original unit. This time I will delete no satellites until I hear about a fix or workaround. After setting up the satellites and channels I have now backed any changes to a new 1.5 TB drive attached. I have also backed to a USB flash drive. Everything is working great except for the wet weather wiping out the weak and low-on-the-horizon channels. I really like the rewind function. The pause button is my friend. With the 2 hour buffer, no more missed programming when the wife calls for honeydew jobs.

Cheers, iHenry

if i understand correctly, you view the channel, put it on record, and view the recording while still recording in further time ahead? cool. never needed it but it's a good opportunity. charlie

if i understand correctly, you view the channel, put it on record, and view the recording while still recording in further time ahead? cool. never needed it but it's a good opportunity. charlie

Yup. When I am watching something and get interrupted I just put the MHD on pause, it continues recording. When I get back I hit play and continue watching from where I left off while it records ahead. So nothing is missed. Great for sports fans (which I am not).

Charlie, I read your question again and saw I only answered part of what you asked. Not quite awake yet. I have the hard disk buffer running so the MHD is recording everything I am watching. This recording clears when changing channels and powering down and starts over. No need to press record. I confess I haven't tried this while actually recording.

Cheers, iHenry

chaskuchar said:

Additionally: You can actually be simultaneously recording two channels from the same transponder and time shift on either during the recording or be watching a third channel.

You will need to load a fresh .udf file via the TTL Serial comport. Wallyhts has manufactured a nice USB convertor cable package that will plug directly into the TTL port on the microHD PCB. It is in stock and ready to ship for only $15.99 at
http://gotcband.gostorego.com/microhd-recovery-cable.html

Sorry to hear of the reboot cycling. We are close to resolving and excahnging files with ALI engineers.

A 5vcc TTL serial cable can be used to extract the current .udf file (we would appreciate a copy emailed to support@satelliteav.com) and install a new .udf file.

Thank you!

Sent via E-mail just now ... stbs.udf I uploaded from stb, caused cycle reboots (renamed it that to avoid confusion)

downloading the userdb.udf from here to the stb MicroHD now...
used Wallyhts's USB cable and download.

And ..

YAY we have recovery
The hardest part was knowing to go to Device Manager to see what Com port the thing was using in order to set the correct port in AliEditor, and that was simple, once I knew to do it.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I DID IT AGAIN!!! cyclical rebooting...

Okay, my HD just started this again. I know exactly what happened, this time:)

Before I take the cable to it, do you want me to try to retrieve any data from it??

What happened was I had just scanned in channels on Sat 85 Ku, but I had my dish a little off so I went to the Channel List menu and deleted them all from this sat.
Then it went into the reboot cycle.
So, my guess is that the box is trying to tune the last channel it was on, which was one of those I deleted.
I think I probably should have tuned to another channel before deleting.

If I'm right about this, I would suggest the simplest fix to be to have the box automatically drop you out to the main menu after you finish in one of those menus that can delete sats or channels or change activation settings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)