microHD is locking up!

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
OK, this is weird.

125W is blocked by trees at the motorized position, so I setup an old superdish for it. I put it on port 1 of a DiSEqC 4x1 switch, with the motorized LNBF on port 4. Blindscanned vertical on 125W and got several channels. Now, when I go into motor/switch setting, the box locks up.

Are you switching from a fixed dish to a motorized position or the reverse when this occurs?

What satellite and channel is tuned before entering the Motor / Switch Setting Menu?

What does the menu display when unit locks-up?
Satellite:
Transponder:
LNB LO:
DiSEqC 1.0:
DiSEqC 1.2
22khz:
Motor Type:
Motor position assigned?

Is the dish moving moving displayed?

Have you tried power cycling?

Curious... Is anything connected to DiSEqC ports 2 or 3?

Since Brian said curious if anything on 2 and 3 ports, besides 1 and 4.... I did have an anomaly with several switches using just 1 and 4 with no load on (2 or 3). I do not remember the exact problem but did decide to load the switches in order after that. No problem after 1,2,3,4... But what it was --was 2 years ago.

Remove from non-working enviroment

Take it out of the cabinet it is in and hook it up to the satellite dish you know is working just fine without any switches; directly to the dish lnbf, without any other satellite dish hooked to the switch; and see if it is working then!?

Last edited:
Indeed, quite similar to that.

pepper
are you using the newest firmware (7/6)?
Yes, first thing I did on getting the unit was to connect it to 97W, download the new software and do a factory reset. Then I started with finding everything between 89W and 123W with the motor. Last thing was adding the switch and the dedicated 125W.

Are you switching from a fixed dish to a motorized position or the reverse when this occurs?

What satellite and channel is tuned before entering the Motor / Switch Setting Menu?

What does the menu display when unit locks-up?
Satellite:
Transponder:
LNB LO:
DiSEqC 1.0:
DiSEqC 1.2
22khz:
Motor Type:
Motor position assigned?

Is the dish moving moving displayed?

Have you tried power cycling?

Curious... Is anything connected to DiSEqC ports 2 or 3?
It was, at the time, doing it on any of the PBS channels on 125W. I found after just letting it sit for a while it wasn't technically "locked up" but instead "getting stuck" in something, after a couple minutes it would "unlock" and I was able to then set the settings correctly of no motor for that sat and the correct switch positions. Strangely, when I first connected it, I was getting 125W on all switch positions and even with it "disabled" and seeing nothing on the other satellites. At some point, during which I did not really change anything, it seems to have somewhat sorted itself out.

Since Brian said curious if anything on 2 and 3 ports, besides 1 and 4.... I did have an anomaly with several switches using just 1 and 4 with no load on (2 or 3). I do not remember the exact problem but did decide to load the switches in order after that. No problem after 1,2,3,4... But what it was --was 2 years ago.
I tend to think maybe the switch itself is bad or flaky. The switch is old enough it is rusted on the back, and the label fell off a long time ago. I had to guess at ports 1 and 4 because that was the ones I had used previously. I am planning on connecting a 3rd dish for 103W sometime this week, I'll try to put the ports in order with the motorized on 1, and the fixed dishes on 2 and 3. The switch itself comes between the motor and LNBFs, I found years ago that it wasn't reliable to have the switch before the motor.

Take it out of the cabinet it is in and hook it up to the satellite dish you know is working just fine without any switches; directly to the dish lnbf, without any other satellite dish hooked to the switch; and see if it is working then!?
I'm sure that would work, though I haven't tried it since this issue cropped up. Everything was independently verified working before I added it to the switch.

It was "locking up" on me again occasionally the past few days. Had something to do with 103W or 125W, been tweaking my two fixed dishes for those and it may have been a flaky SuperDish FSS LNB or two confusing it.

Next time it happens I will make extensive notes.

Anybody know whether a Dish Network DP34 or DPP44 is DiSEqC-enough to work with the microHD? If not, I guess I can be the one to try it.

they should be able to but I've heard they draw a bunch of power which can be issues
(the 44 has a power inserter which does help with that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts