Mini-bud Primestar 1 meter, 101W, and the microHD FTW!

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Messed around converting one of my Primestar 1 meter dishes to a fixed sat mini-bud today just for the heck of it. Tweaked in 101w using a KU lnbf first. Then I used a conical scalar ring, Geosatpro C2 lnbf, and the microHD receiver. It took the longest to convert the crazy triple feedarm of the Primestar to hold a c-band lnbf, and still make it capable to fit in the conical scalar. 101W C on the microHD, only had 1 transponder loaded as default, so I manually added 7 more.

I couldn't get any signal beyond 45% at all at first, and was slowly going through each transponder and using the P* dishes fine elevation screw to adjust the elevation both ways about 5 degrees, as the c-band lnbf is sitting slightly higher than a ku lnbf sits. Finally had luck in that transponder 1 (3710 V 4340) POPPED up to 90% signal (from 45) but still NO quality! I thought, "this is crazy". I tweaked around a bit more, but didn't get any quality at all at first. I decided to do a transponder scan, and it scanned in GLC channel! It pixalated a little bit, but locked AND WAS WATCHABLE while still showing 0% quality! Amazing! I spent the next hour slowly tweaking elevation, azimuth, lnb skew, lnb depth from the dish face, and the conical scalar ring in and out a little. I finally got the signal oscillating between 28-35% quality on GLC.

I then did a detailed blind-scan to see if anything else came in, and I picked up all the Lesea channels on 99w, (70%+ quality!) but still have GLC channel from 101w at 30%. So, when I tweaked azimuth, it must have moved a tad too close to 99w. Anyway, I'll turn it a tiny bit to the West tomorrow, and see if anything else comes in on 101w only.

Kinda fun to screw around with, but I was really hoping there would be a chance of getting Thistv or Metv channels, but no joy there yet.

I've got a smaller prmstr dish (36''x 30'') set up for c band , it would get the lesea ch's in all the time , but only hold good signal from the P.R. mux about 80% of the time . I did pull in a GLC ch now & then , but thot it was from 99w also ?? The dish your using (39''x 36'' ?) should grab the cw's off 91w , I've got them with mine , it's too small to hold them well . Was wondering how you fixed the conical scalar on? Only have a scaler ring & home made feed horn bolted on the end of mine .

The conical scaler came with a new c-band size feedarm to mount the lnb. Then, the scaler is simply fitted onto the end of the Geosatpro C2 lnb and the 3 screws are equally screwed down to tighten it up.

That is encouraging.

I have a B1SAT and conical scalar ring been sitting around 3 years or so, never once been successful with it. Now that I have a channelmaster 1-meter pointed at 103 and actually getting good signal, I think I will try it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)