Microsoft announces its Chromecast competitor for $60, landing in October

I wonder if this will work with any computer or if it will have to have a special wireless transmitter built in like some laptops/tv's currently require.

Its not really a chromecast competitor. It is a miracast dongle, it is just THEIR miracast dongle.
I have one, and it works well enough. Sure, you can use it similar to a chromecast I guess, but with the chromecast, you initiate the process from your phone or tablet and the app opens up on the device and it takes over the streaming.

With miracast, it works more like what they just added to the chromecast where it mirrors what is on the screen of your device. So if you wanted to watch netflix, wit the chromecast, once you open it up, the stick takes over. With this, your tablet, pc, ect, would still be doing the work, but just throwing it to the tv wireless.

Ill certainly look into it to see how it compares with my current netgear miracast device. A few years of improvement on the hardware so I may get one.

I wonder if this will work with any computer or if it will have to have a special wireless transmitter built in like some laptops/tv's currently require.
You device would have to have miracast capability. Most current phones, tablets, and pc's do.

It'll fail just like most everything else they've tried to come out with for years. Twice the price of Chromecast? They just don't get it....
It will cost more it seems, but depending on your usage, it should be a more overall capable device. Especially if you are using your PC. Where the chromecast is limited to chrome tab casting, this would be able to mirror your whole desktop. Like the article mentions, I can see this being very useful in the business world.

Reactions: TheKrell
This device is very useful doesn't need much to setup unless you have vpn software installed. Works well and I use mine daily as an extended screen instead of running a long cable to the tv on my office wall.

This device is very useful doesn't need much to setup unless you have vpn software installed. Works well and I use mine daily as an extended screen instead of running a long cable to the tv on my office wall.
Have you tried any other miracast devices? If so, how do you think this one compares in usage? Smoother? Less so?

Honestly it's about the same with all miracast stuff I've tried. Once it gets going it's fine. Initally it seems laggy (like first few seconds) but then it's fine.

Reactions: Ronnie-
So, it's almost 2015. Did this announced product ever ship? Oh, I see it did, but it seems to have been lost in the FireTV Stick announcement. Also, it doesn't seem to do anything that hasn't been done before (*cough* AirPlay, Chromecast, Roku) except now Windows devices get in on the fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)