Microsoft in Damage control mode

BobMurdoch said:
The shocker may be that after a spike in the first few months when the PS3 is released, the pS2 may overcome the ps3 in the spring next year. With The PS2 likely to cost $100 and the PS3 to be many times that, most of their customers may have to sit out the first year or two. We've hit the point where the unit may just be too expensive for its' audience.....

Considering the price of a standalone Blu ray player, its a steal.

Yeah, just like that dvd playing ability in the ps2 really adds any value...You ever watch a dvd on a ps2? god awful...

But ps2 will outsell ps3 for as long as a year perhaps.

vurbano said:

Considering that people play games on a console, that's irrelevant.
Considering every mfr including Sony lose a substantial amount of money on each and every sold console, the prospect of selling consoles for BD player without 4-5 games is pretty dooming for Sony.
Considering that HD-DVD just has been awarded a total of nice half year advantage of selling alone on the market and considering HD-DVD will have a total ~10 months by November to make some money, most likely PS3 will cost roughly twice as much as HD-DVD by then.
Considering MS will have sold around 10M units by November iut's more than likely they will easily undercut PS3 with a cheaper 360+HD-DVD combo.

PS3 will move a lot of people into blu-ray, make no mistake about it. However a lot of people are going to be playing blu-ray discs on their ps3 on their 25 inch walmart tv's through RCA cables, so they won't notice the difference.

Will Blu-ray get a big push from ps3? Probably. How big? It's impossible to guess. A lot of things can change between now and PS3's launch in the format wars.

vurbano said:

When compared to other Blu Ray players, sure....

For your average teenager that is their core base, and who plays the games on a 19-25" Analog TV, it is not that compelling. Add in the fact that the new media won't play on their portable DVD players or computers, it only features a couple of dozen new releases vs. a couple of thousand for standard DVD, and the PS3 price costs too many working hours at McDonald's or Six Flags to pay for it, and I think that you will be surprised by how quickly the PS3 sales drop off after the initial spike by the hardcore fanboys.

Everyone thought Nintendo and Sega was invincible at one point. Sega is gone, and Nintendo is right now a distant third. They actually have the most to gain as they ARE targeting the cheap end of the market. However, as their games tend to skew younger, there may not be as many people clamoring over here to get one. Especially something that has a name that means either "tiny" or "make pee pee". That's assuming they don't say it the way it reads...... "Why?". A question the marketing types should be asking.....

Microsoft's challenge right now is lack of games. Other than Oblivion and the New Tomb Raider, pickings have been slim.....

Then again, I'm 60 hours into Oblivion and I feel like I'm not even halfway done yet, so it may not matter for the rest of us. The missus is starting to get miffed that I keep playing the thing (usually after 1-2 dozen hours pass, I complete a game, this one may cause a few divorces across the US).

To me this is SACD and DVD Audio all over again. The discs won't play in most places people want them, so there will be resistance.

It would have been a tough sell with one format, but doable. With early adopters like me sitting this out until a clear winner emerges, it could derail the whole transition.

A similar thing almost happened with Divx in the late 90's, but that product was so woefully deficient (discs basically self destruct after a few days) compared to the own it for years DVD product.

There is no clear cut winner here. Yes, Sony has more space on teh disc and it is more durable. But the other tech companies don't want Sony getting rich off of it, and Sony controls too much program content to be blown away by HD DVD either.

Best case scenario is for one to bomb badly, letting the other take over. Like VHS/Beta though, that could take 5 years. By then we may be getting all of our content off of secure 50MB interent speed networks (Fios, Cable Modems, etc.) via IP.

Like SACD, Sony might get blown away by the next iTunes. We'll see. I won't be buying either in the meantime. I'm an XBox 360 fanboy, but I don't plan on getting the HD DVD drive either, unless the price is real low or it offers another compelling reason to upgrade (ie. upconverting all my DVDs to 1080i, etc.)

BobMurdoch said:
Yes, Sony has more space on teh disc and it is more durable.

Umm no, you got it backward. Blu-Ray will offer more space but lot less durable due to its much thinner cover (HD/DVD : Blu-Ray = 0.6mm : 0.1 mm).

I'd like to see kids who only have one DVD. It's a silly thing to say. Everyone has a DVD player, and nobody bought one dvd and said "eh, that's enough". Maybe they just started buying and had one, but they will buy more. DVD's look better than anything else on their TV, it sells itself.

Will someone watch a blu-ray disc on their walmart tv and say "Wow, that's better than DVD...", I don't know. If so, they'll buy the blu-ray movies because they'll look better and have more content.

It's no more silly than saying "PS3 will move a lot of people into blu-ray, make no mistake about it" and then arguing with DVD when I point out it will be pretty insignificant in terms of disc sales.

As people never bought tonz of DVDs for PS2, they won't buy tonz of BD for PS3, this is pretty obvious, I think.

People will buy BD movies in significant quantities for standalone Blu-Ray players only, make no mistake about it. :p

i think some people early on will use the ps3 for a blue ray player and people will use the add on for the 360 for a player before running out and buying dedicated hd machines. i however think once price come down on the dedicated hd machines, people will stop using the ps3/360 as their hd viewing source.

that is whay i will be doing. and once prices and performance inprove on the hd players, i will buy a stand alone.

I'm sure there will be people who will buy PS3 for Blu-Ray *IF* BD desktop player prices won't come down by then.
However I also believe that it won't have a significant impact on BD disc sales at all.

T2k said:
Umm no, you got it backward. Blu-Ray will offer more space but lot less durable due to its much thinner cover (HD/DVD : Blu-Ray = 0.6mm : 0.1 mm).

I believe Widescreen Review ran an article stating that the BluRay had a harder coating. If that isn't the case, I stand corrected.

BobMurdoch said:
When compared to other Blu Ray players, sure....

For your average teenager that is their core base, and who plays the games on a 19-25" Analog TV, it is not that compelling.

the average teenager cant afford either the 360 or the PS3 IMO.

A whole bunch of them were able to afford the PS2 when it came out.....

No one flinched when the Super Nintendo debuted at $199 13 years ago. (about equal to $350 today)

My guess is that $300-350 is the point at which you start losing a lot of buyers.. $599 is off the charts high in my opinion.

Joystiq had an article hinting that Microsoft has a $100 price reduction waiting to pop in 4Q2006 to try and inhibit the PS3's launch momentum. Having an "equal" game machine at 50% less would be tough to beat. Note that I define "equal" as being able to play next gen games. BluRay may be compelling for some, but I don't see their target market, teenagers, getting hot and bothered about a higher definition DVD.

The amount of the price drop on 360 is solely dependant on how much buzz sony can generate up until the weeks before launch. If the launch titles suck, or if sony hasn't shaken the bad press completely, you may not see much, if any, of a reduction at all. MS may just launch a little more press on top of their normal holiday blitz and convince you to spend full price on a 360...

I agree but HD-DVD player should be at $200 or lower or perhaps combined with some other price lowering sales, otherwise it'd be way too close to the crippled $500 PS3 version.