Microsoft sues Motorola (for Android)

This is definitely a "me-too" attempt on Samsung part. They have a winner on their hands in the form of the Galaxy S.
Just strip it off its cell capabilities and call it a player. With apps support. Just what Apple did.

The iPod Touch was out prior to the iPhone. Apple threw a phone into the iPod Touch.

...next in line with legal problems with Microsoft: Barnes & Noble.
Microsoft sues Barnes & Noble over patent infringement
According to the company, Barnes & Noble Android e-readers the Nook and Nook Color infringe on patents regarding UI,
as well as browsing and downloading. Microsoft also claims that Foxconn and Inventec are guilty of violating its various patents.
According to Microsoft’s corporate VP and deputy general counsel Horacio Gutierrez, “the Android platform infringes a number of
Microsoft’s patents, and companies manufacturing and shipping Android devices must respect our intellectual property right.”

Diogen.

Nathan Myhrvold isn't a poor guy, but his IV enterprise (some call it a patent troll) is getting very popular.
First, Samsung and HTC licensed its patent portfolio. Now RIM joined the crowd.
RIM strikes licensing deal with Intellectual Ventures for 30,000 IP assets -- Engadget

It looks like RIM is trying to play it safe while getting ready to introduce a tablet capable of running Android apps.
And it's probably good insurance to keep Apple's legal dogs at home. But that you never know...

Diogen.

Apple's presence is understandable.
Oracle probably wants to make sure to never end up on the receiving end of a paten lawsuit from MS.
But what is EMC doing here?
Could this have something to do with VMWare that EMC made a killing on by first acquiring and then spinning off?
They are still the biggest shareholder if memory serves.
This acquisition seems still pending
OSI fears for Linux if Novell patents land with Apple, Oracle ? Channel Register

It is really interesting to watch how fast the business landscape changes.
Google's Android - and by association the whole open source movement - is considered a threat enough
to bring together the arch enemies of the last few decades: Apple, Microsoft, Oracle.

The irony: biggest self-proclaimed innovators are actively pursuing patent troll roles...

Diogen.

If you accept the idea of design patents ( I don't) then Apple has a good case with the iPhone.
But iPad? That I don't understand...

An attempt to slow down the #1 competitor, I guess.

Diogen.

EDIT: Galaxy Tab a "copy" of iPad?
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/apple-patent-suit/
Galaxy Tab “slavishly copies” Apple’s product design, using a rectangular body with rounded corners, a black border and an array of app icons similar to the iPad’s.
This must be a joke...

Last edited:
diogen said:
If you accept the idea of design patents ( I don't) then Apple has a good case with the iPhone.
But iPad? That I don't understand...

An attempt to slow down the #1 competitor, I guess.

Diogen.

Why sue the guy you buy your parts from and fabs your cpu/gpu?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SatelliteGuys

Now I believe the rumors about the iPhone5 going to be delayed.
Whatever the reason - Japan earthquake or anything else - Apple got a break in its upgrade cycle.
It is better to file a lawsuit (if so desired) now before the manufacturing of the handsets starts, than later.

Samsung is probably Apple's single most important supplier. But it is known that Apple is trying to have at least two for each part.
Therefore, I think this is just designed as a quick shakeout ending just like Microsoft vs. HTC did.

It sounds risky.
Samsung most likely can make Apple's life harder.
But probably not without making their own even more so...

Diogen.

They where talking delay prior to the earthquakes.
Suing Samsung but paying them at the same time for the A5 chips and NAND. Oh and the ram used in the macbooks

Just like the lawsuits against HTC last March and Motorola last October
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-sues-htc-for-infringing-20-iphone-patents/
Apple sues Motorola right back over six patents -- Engadget
this one against Samsung is more of the same at least in the software space: an attempt to stop Android.
Intimidation. Hope that the threat to be sued itself will stop companies jumping on the Android bandwagon.

You can't sue Google since the OS is given away for free (Oracle's Java being in a different category altogether),
but you can sue the ones making profits off of it.

I have a hard time to believe this can work in any significant way, just look at HTC's latest quarter
HTC's market capitalization reaches $33.8b, overshadows Nokia and RIM -- Engadget

Diogen.

Samsung most likely can make Apple's life harder.
But probably not without making their own even more so...
Maybe not.
I did not know that Samsung is that big
When Apple's fiscal 2010 ended on September 25, the company had pulled in $65.22bn in revenue...
Samsung's revenues are significantly larger. Its 2010 financial report said that the company's
total income for that fiscal year, ended on December 31, was 154.63 trillion won ($142.33bn).
Various reports have placed Apple's contribution to Samsung's revenue in 2010 at roughly 4 per cent, or $5.69bn.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/19/samsung_responds_to_apple_lawsuit/

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)