Microsoft sues Motorola (for Android)

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
First, Apple sued HTC and in some bizarre attempt to lift its image in the European phone market - Nokia.
The fallout: HTC "made a deal" with Microsoft with some undisclosed amount of money going to the Vole.

And now Microsoft sues Motorola for some 9 patents allegedly violated in the Android OS.
Microsoft sues Motorola, citing Android patent infringement

I believe there are a few conclusions that can be made based on these events:

1. The "revolution" in the smartphone business is over. It's evolution from here on...
2. The players are defined. Lines in sand drawn. The fight starts who will remain standing...
3. Negotiations times are over. From now going forward "the one with more lawyers wins"...

The most interesting - but understandable - in this game (to me) is the simple fact that nobody touches Samsung.
On one hand, they account for something like $52 in iPhone component costs (and more in iPod/iPad).
On the other hand, it looks like Windows Phone 7 would look miserable if not for Samsung handsets.
At the same time they make one of the best Android handset (Galaxy S), sell them with every carrier and are first out with a competing tablet (Galaxy Tab).

And neither Apple not Microsoft make a peep...:)

Isn't it nice to hold the balls of the former and current Gods in a sector in one hand and squeeze at will? :)

Diogen.

Last edited:
The most interesting - but understandable - in this game (to me) is the simple fact that nobody touches Samsung.
On one hand, they account for something like $52 in iPhone component costs (and more in iPod/iPad).
On the other hand, it looks like Windows Phone 7 would look miserable if not for Samsung handsets.
At the same time they make one of the best Android handset (Galaxy S), sell them with every carrier and are first out with a competing tablet (Galaxy Tab).

And neither Apple not Microsoft make a peep...:)

Isn't it nice to hold the balls of the former and current Gods in a sector in one hand and squeeze at will? :)
Since Samsung is a supplier to both Apple and Microsoft it's not unreasonable to assume that they have licenses to use the patents in question so no lawsuit is needed. This is a very common practice.

Since Samsung is a supplier to both Apple and Microsoft it's not unreasonable to assume...
Hmmm...
No doubt there is a non-zero chance Samsung has all the needed licenses.
I'll admit that if only not to be caught in the position to try and prove the negative. But is it reasonable?

When HTC made a deal with Microsoft it was plastered all over the tech (and not so tech) news sites...
It was reminded all over again that Apple and Microsoft have a cross licensing agreement since the time Microsoft saved Saint Jobses ass (and their own as well) with their investment...
Nokia went on record to state that all handset makers - sans Apple of course - licensed their patents. I bet Samsung, too...
The first multitouch patent - what Apple is bitching mostly about - is actually Synaptics' and Microsoft Surface is also quite a bit older than the iPhone...

And not a soul is claiming Samsung is in the clear in terms of patent violations.

Hence, from publicly available information it is not unreasonable to assume that Samsung doesn't give a f**k about the pontification of Saint Jobs for one reason - they can get away with it...

Diogen.

Nokia went on record to state that all handset makers - sans Apple of course - licensed their patents. I bet Samsung, too....
Maybe not...

mobilelawsuits.png

Microsoft sues Motorola over Android

Diogen.

It's hard to find two companies that do business more differently than Apple and Microsoft.
The goal of making money is probably the only one common thing between them...

They even sue companies for opposite reason: Apple because its paranoid chief thinks other companies might
have something to do with Apple products; Microsoft - because a company doesn't have anything to do with it...:)
It's no coincidence to our eyes that Microsoft went after the one top-tier Android phone maker that didn't sign up to the Windows Phone 7 utopia project. We recall HTC was in hot water with the Redmond team back in April for similar reasons, and its resultant licensing of Microsoft's patents seems to have been embedded into the WP7 partner agreements -- which is why we're not seeing the likes of ASUS and Samsung being served with similar complaints. So basically, if things get too hot and steamy, Moto could just kick out a token Windows Phone handset, get the accompanying licenses in order, and this whole thing blows over nice and peacefully. Marvelous.
Motorola is 'open' to developing Windows Phone 7 devices, but only if the OS proves compelling -- Engadget

Buy a license to manufacture WinPho7 handsets and we won't sue you if you make Android ones, too.
Just like getting an almost free licence for Windows if you license Office.
With one small difference: this time around MS is the underdog...

Diogen.

EDIT:
Another way to picture the lawsuits galore
500x_mobilesuits.jpg

Last edited:
This is getting fun...:)

Motorola didn't want to stay behind and also "do something about it", i.e. suing somebody for something.
So, they picked Apple
Motorola suing Apple for patent infringement -- Engadget
We have extensively licensed our industry-leading intellectual property portfolio, consisting of tens of thousands of patents in the U.S. and worldwide. After Apple's late entry into the telecommunications market, we engaged in lengthy negotiations, but Apple has refused to take a license. We had no choice but to file these complaints to halt Apple's continued infringement.

Diogen.

RIM used to be called "lawsuit in motion" but they are angels (now?) compared to almost any company in that chart...

Diogen.

This looks like a smart move
HTC inks patent pact with Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures ? The Register
Mobile handset manufacturer and Google pal HTC has announced a licensing deal that gives it access to the more than 30,000 patents owned by Intellectual Ventures (IV), the IP-gathering outfit founded by former Microsoft chief technology officer Nathan Myhrvold...
Last week, Intellectual Ventures announced a similarly sweeping pact with Samsung.

Can't beat them - join them...

Diogen.

To continue the patent/lawsuit topic.

Just recently Novell sold off a good chunk of patents triggering rumors that Microsoft owns Unix
Novell acquired by Attachmate, sells some patents to Microsoft
It ain't that bad, as it turns out. The patents were purchased by a consortium including Microsoft, Apple, EMC and Oracle
882 Novell patents now shared by Microsoft, Apple, EMC, and Oracle

Apple's presence is understandable.
Oracle probably wants to make sure to never end up on the receiving end of a paten lawsuit from MS.
But what is EMC doing here?
Could this have something to do with VMWare that EMC made a killing on by first acquiring and then spinning off?
They are still the biggest shareholder if memory serves.

Next: Nortel patents
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/12/apple-google-rim-go-shopping-for-nortel-patents.ars

Diogen.

Samsung took really close to heart St. Jobs' "Great artists steal" motto and are planning to introduce their "Galaxy Touch"
Samsung said to be bringing a 4-inch Galaxy Player to CES 2011 -- Engadget

Just compare it to the 3rd gen iPod Touch pictured here
What are the differences between the iPod touch 2nd Gen and the iPhone 3G? @ EveryiPod.com

Diogen.

1. so far there has not been a decent mp3 player or overall meda player on android unless samsung is going to write one for us .
2. If they dont do anything about 1 then they have no hope of it selling. Why did ipod when the mp3 player wars , simple it ui and how it functioned blew everything else away.

I believe the times when MP3 players were judged by their ability to play music are long gone. Since iPod Touch, to be exact.

This is definitely a "me-too" attempt on Samsung part. They have a winner on their hands in the form of the Galaxy S.
Just strip it off its cell capabilities and call it a player. With apps support. Just what Apple did.

When playing audio on my Nexus One I use Winamp and couldn't care less about a native app.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)