Microsoft's Video Marketplace

Looks really cool, but they better come out with a bigger HD.

I think this is all great but I agree, 4.7 GB for a movie is NOT HD. Its not even close. With 8.5 GB Dual Layer DVD's, 480P movies could come close to filling that. When I record MPEG2 stuff on my Windows Media Center, thats about 8 GB per hour give or take depending on what it is. Granted there could be some good compression like MPEG4 but 4.7 is way way too small to do HD. Thats like 2.5 GB per hour give or take. Not cool.

I think this is all great but I agree, 4.7 GB for a movie is NOT HD. Its not even close. With 8.5 GB Dual Layer DVD's, 480P movies could come close to filling that. When I record MPEG2 stuff on my Windows Media Center, thats about 8 GB per hour give or take depending on what it is. Granted there could be some good compression like MPEG4 but 4.7 is way way too small to do HD. Thats like 2.5 GB per hour give or take. Not cool.

Again I say VC-1 will be used to on 720p material.. NOT mpeg2....4.5-6 GB is all the space you need

Right now VC-1 is being used on HD movies in the HD-DVD format and it is covering between 15 to 22 gbs on a HD-DVD disc and that is at a reduced playback rate of about 14 to 16 mips. How can you do that in 4.7 GB with any know compression technique and get HD out of that. And we are talking about 720p here?

That was my point too JoeSp. Even with VC-1, 4.7 GB cant cover an entire movie. They might be able to get it much more efficient than raw MPEG2 but 4.7 for the entire in any format is small. I am really interested in this and will problably try a movie or two but I think some posters got it right saying the term HD is way overused and not accurate. The movies may be DVD quality but hardly HD DVD or Blu-Ray quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts