Minimum EHD Size for Hopper’s

What should I format it too?

Edit: I’ve tried NTFS,fat32,and unformatted with the msdos partition table. Havent tried gpt yet.
Next best guess, from experience, bad EHD power supply. I had a Hopper replaced for the same reason as yours, no diff! When I traded a power brick (from an identical housing), it showed up!

Next best guess, from experience, bad EHD power supply. I had a Hopper replaced for the same reason as yours, no diff! When I traded a power brick (from an identical housing), it showed up!

It work in any other system I use and it will spin up before plugging usb in. Already tried several power supplies and none work. The drive just might not be compatible. It’s a western digital Scorpio blue.

It work in any other system I use and it will spin up before plugging usb in. Already tried several power supplies and none work. The drive just might not be compatible. It’s a western digital Scorpio blue.
Guess it's time to move on to something else.

Guess it's time to move on to something else.

It’s odd because I previously plugged in another drive of mine and it was recognized but now it isn’t anymore. At least it’s not like I’m running out of space on the hopper, I just want to have the option if I were to upgrade.

Related question: I'm getting the H3 installed on Sunday and am needing a hard drive to transfer/archive recordings. Does the hard drive need to have a separate plug or can it be one that just has USB power? I know the DISH site says it needs its own power supply, but I just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: joewhite57
There are those that say that a USB powered EHD works just fine for them. Dish doesn't support that. The Hopper's power supply may give that EHD power for a while but it will tax it. It is best to use a self powered EHD.

Smaller hard drives will work, if they have already been formatted by a 612/622/722, but it appears that a Hopper will only format a drive if it is 320GB or larger.

I have tried blank 100GB and blank 250GB drives and my Hopper never recognizes them.

250GB drives that I have that were formatted when I had a 722 are recognized and used by my Hopper.

Reactions: navychop