Minimum package for HD Distants?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dirty_D

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Subject line says it all. I just talked to All American and asked whether I needed a Dish account or just their equipment to receive the Distants. Looking to get the LA in HD but still receive the current NY/ATL in SD if possible. The dude said I needed to have a Dish account, which I do but was looking to get rid of it because I have DirecTV too (can't get distant LA in HD with them).

Bottom line, I have an old Dish500 to put back up and was looking to get a 612 HD receiver. I see there's a Dish HD only pack but $30 is steep to just get networks. Any other routes here?

I'm not so sure you need an account. You do need a valid security card.

I don't necessarily won't locals from LA, but I like distants for football :) And some people like time shifting, even with DVR's, it can be hard to get it all recorded when it's airing on the east coast

Yea I know, just messing with ya. At least you have a good sense of humor :D

I myself Live in L.A and used to have the NY HD locals on DTV (grandfathered) before all the regulations by the FCC.

Yea I know, just messing with ya. At least you have a good sense of humor :D

I myself Live in L.A and used to have the NY HD locals on DTV (grandfathered) before all the regulations by the FCC.

If I had my choice I'd pick Seattle, can't live without KING KONG ;)

I hope everyone gets it :)

I do on Starchoice (ShawDirect...Canadian DTH provider)...Big 4 from Seattle in HD (along with Detroit CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and Fox Rochester, NY in HD)

Showoff :).. man i need to jump on Shaw soon. :up

Bell does HD from Seattle too but their HD footprint sucks unless you live on the border (of Canada....not the "other" border) ;)

I could get Detroit if I wanted, but they'll soon leave 118. Right now I "live" in the Atlanta DMA, pretty good signal from 129 spotbeam considering I'm well over 200 miles away, I get 45%. Plus I get MyNetworkTV in HD and PeachTree, but peach tree doesnt do anything in HD from what I've seen except Braves games.

I miss my NY Distant Nets terribly. The time shifting was great, and while WABC news stank, WNBC news was great.

However, I have come across a lot of people who prefer the LA locals (big networks) over any other DMA because--additional sports is a big reason, too--of the local news. Quite ironic of many of us in LA consider our local news THE WORST, except when covering live disasters, then it is quite the best. The good folks who want or like the LA distants cite the LA local news being "exciting" and they love the car chases and disasters and the sometimes alarmist coverage.

I have to conclude by saying that KTLA's (a CW available on Dish's Superstation package) new (well, new for several months) 10 o'clock news is the new low of any LA local news to ever be produced, probably of any local news ever produced anywhere. It is so vapid and terribly giddy of the must inane bits of information that don't qualify as news. It's more like a show that highlights the superficial while a few news headlines interrupt the horrific prattle among anchors. All this change happened because a few years ago Fox 11 creamed KTLA's butt in the 10 o'clock spot and KTLA had to do something. But Fox 11, while it can be Hollywood silly, still has solid, high journalistic standard local news coverage to make up for the trash later in the broadcast.

I'm not so sure you need an account. You do need a valid security card.

So who should I call to verify this? I don't want to lose my Dish account and then need it when I get my receiver and call All American with the smartcard info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)