Mirroring a Joey

Stephen14

Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I am wanting to Mirror the Joey that is used in the Master Bathroom. Now the TV on the back porch I moved from the bathroom so it is already setup with the original remote and installing a brand new purchased TV in the bathroom. The Joey box will be staying the Master Bathroom.

I already have 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. Just want to add 1 more TV now that I have a TV on the back porch.

What I need to know is how do I wire the mirroring up and what remote do I get to use in the bathroom now with the new TV going up in there. I would like the new remote to use all the functions as the one on the back porch will be using.
I would like both TV's to be HD if possible.

Never done this before so be easy on the newbie here. I can handle all the running of the cable or whatever I just need to know the ones to use and how to hook them up to each other.

You have a tv in your bathroom?? lol

How far away is the other location? You'd either want a really long rca cable, or get a modulator and hook the joey's rca out to the modulator and run coax to the other location. both options will not give you hd though at the second location. As far as an extra remote you'd have to order or buy one.

I suppose you could consider an hdmi splitter but I haven't researched those and don't know how reliable they are, not to mention I don't know the distance between the two tv's if that would be feasable.

Another option if you don't need both tv's at the same time would be to just find where your joey's split from after the node (client side) and just run coax to the porch from that splitter or another one off of the splitter. (you're not supposed to have any more than two splitters in any joey line keep in mind) If you did that then you could just unhook the joey from the bathroom and bring it to your porch back and forth

He wants HD on both, so only option is an HDMI splitter.

Using several of these for 3yrs+ with no issues.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B4O7NS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cabling is another matter. Quailty HDMI cable can usually push to about 75ft pretty reliably, but for anything beyong 50 ft I would recommend HDMI over CAT6.

If they are close enough some of the wireless HDMI products are reportedly pretty good now (no experience with them), but I could see a bathroom environment (tile/plumbing/etc) being problematic.

The wife likes to watch her shows from DVR when she takes her bath and quiet time at night. So I got her a TV for the bathroom. One Happy Wife.

The distance is less than 20' feet from Joey to New TV.

I would do the move the Joey but I have it hung up behind the TV in the Bathroom and it would not be easy to move back and forth. I have already thought about that and will do it as last case if I have to.

I was wondering if the HDMI splitter would work.

Question is if you buy a new remote do you just program it the same and does the kind of remote matter if running a second remote on a Joey?

The wife likes to watch her shows from DVR when she takes her bath and quiet time at night. So I got her a TV for the bathroom. One Happy Wife.

The distance is less than 20' feet from Joey to New TV.

I would do the move the Joey but I have it hung up behind the TV in the Bathroom and it would not be easy to move back and forth. I have already thought about that and will do it as last case if I have to.

I was wondering if the HDMI splitter would work.

Question is if you buy a new remote do you just program it the same and does the kind of remote matter if running a second remote on a Joey?

20ft is probably doable with standard HDMI cable, even accounting for going up/down walls and through basement/attic. Problem with HDMI is all holes need to be large enough for the cable head, but mini-hdmi makes that less of a problem.

For the remote, just get another Dish 40.0 remote and pair it with the Joey. Joey's can have multiple remotes paired. $20 or less on ebay.

ALSO...

Biggest issue with an HDMI splitter, is it will report back to the Joey only the formats common to both attached TVs. If the bedroom TV supports 1080p/and the bathroom TV is 720p only, the Joey will think a 720p TV is attached and won't output 1080i.

The point is that you want the TVs on the splitter to be of similar capabilities.

Sharing HD via HDMI is fraught with gotchas. The biggest gotcha usually comes from the fact that all terminal devices need to respond independently to an HDCP query and most won't if they aren't turned on. Some switches reportedly don't work according to the rules and will respond on behalf of the TV/monitor but I can neither confirm nor deny this errant behavior. HDMI licensing requires FULL HDCP support and this would be a broken implementation.

Driving an outboard RF modulator off of the composite connection is far from the goal of an HD feed.

The Joey remote is RF capable so getting a replacement Joey remote should work assuming a minimum of obstructions to the signal getting from outside to inside.

Sharing HD via HDMI is fraught with gotchas. The biggest gotcha usually comes from the fact that all terminal devices need to respond independently to an HDCP query and most won't if they aren't turned on. Some switches reportedly don't work according to the rules and will respond on behalf of the TV/monitor but I can neither confirm nor deny this errant behavior. HDMI licensing requires FULL HDCP support and this would be a broken implementation.
All I can say is I have never had any issue at all with my splitters and HBO or PPV. May be a quirk of my usage habits, maybe the next software update revision will break it, but 3+ years and not a single issue with 2 2port switches and 1 four port. Add in friends and family I have installed them for and you're looking at another 10 or so (and trust me, if they had any issues I would be the first to know).

Well ... another option ... if you consider all the money you will have to spend on cables and splitters, your time to run cables, ... etc ...

It may be "easier" to pay for another Joey (monthly costs), get a wireless adapter ($20?) for the Joey ... and "boom" ... you have a "portable" Joey. The wireless adapters are not officially supported, but folks here say they work quite well. Of course, you would need a wireless router too.

If you have to get a router ... well ... it may be cheaper then to run the cables.

Last edited:
Wireless Joey is almost certainly the easiest solution, but he's already got 3J/1H. Not sure Dish wants to do 4J/1H. They'd almost certainly charge for the Joey up front. Cable/Splitter/Wallplates/Remote/etc would run under $120. Headache and time for install is the real question. Only the OP knows his house and skill/comfort level.

Wireless Joey is almost certainly the easiest solution, but he's already got 3J/1H. Not sure Dish wants to do 4J/1H. They'd almost certainly charge for the Joey up front. Cable/Splitter/Wallplates/Remote/etc would run under $120. Headache and time for install is the real question. Only the OP knows his house and skill/comfort level.

Yup, I agree with your points.

I just thought I would throw the wireless Joey out there as an option for the OP.

As stated, he knows his money, skill level, etc ... to make the best choice for him.

Yeah, but the point of the wireless joey is to use one of his existing 3 joeys as a "roaming" TV location, so he could move it between the master bath and the porch (and any other locations he wishes).

Have a feeling the bath location would need to be permanent for wife, but if any of the other locations that are more his than hers roaming could work.

I think the simplest/most economical solution for the OP is just to mirror as long as he can live with the resolution limits of a splitter. He said he has no problem with the wiring. Wireless is just to iffy, IMO.

Go with the Hdmi splitter. I use the $25 dollar 50' Hdmi cables from amazon and Hdmi splitters from monoprice. I have 2 hopers and 2 joeys ran to 14 TVs with no problems.

ALSO...

Biggest issue with an HDMI splitter, is it will report back to the Joey only the formats common to both attached TVs. If the bedroom TV supports 1080p/and the bathroom TV is 720p only, the Joey will think a 720p TV is attached and won't output 1080i.

The point is that you want the TVs on the splitter to be of similar capabilities.
WRONG, all DISH HD receivers including the Hopper and Joey will output at the resolution you set. If set for 1080i that is what you will get.

WRONG, all DISH HD receivers including the Hopper and Joey will output at the resolution you set. If set for 1080i that is what you will get.

Sorry, you are not understanding. It has nothing to do with the output of the Dish receiver. Most HDMI splitters will detect the lowest resolution of the two (or more) TV's they are feeding, and send same to both. As explained, a downside.

Last edited:
Sorry, you are wrong. It has nothing to do with the output of the Dish receiver. HDMI splitters will detect the lowest resolution of the two TV's they are feeding, and send same to both.

NOW that is really wrong, NO splitter is going to change the resolution.
If the DISH receiver is set to 1080i that is the ONLY resolution it is going to output.

NOW that is really wrong, NO splitter is going to change the resolution.
If the DISH receiver is set to 1080i that is the ONLY resolution it is going to output.

Well, not gonna have P contest with you. You need to read up on splitters. I happen to own one and know for a fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts