Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
There was a D* flyer in this sundays paper, like normal.

I did notice though that some of the channels listed were not available yet.
It sayd that "Directv now has the capacity for 200 HD channels" , then from left to right it has a list of HD channels broken down into category such as sports, news, family, ect.

Well, the problem, that I see, is it lists many channels that they have such as ESPN, FOX NEWS, ect, but also lists MSNBC, CSPAN, TRAVEL channel (and a couple of others). No where does it say these are coming soon. It lists them AS IF they are already up, which of course they are not.

Maybe it is just the way I am looking at it. Anyone esle see the paper im talking about?

this has been widely discussed at dbstalk. and yes, someone took pictures of the ad and posted. from what i could see, the channels listed were identified as hd. you may recall right after dtv 10 went live, there use to be a crawl at directv.com that listed a whole bunch of hd channels that we didn't get at the time but eventually did.

those channels we're talking about don't say HD next to them in the flyer. when i saw that i never took it as they were saying those channels like travel,msnbc etc are also available in HD :)

If you look at the flyer though rey, they are in the section that says "hd channels" at the bottom. There is no break in the graphic to indicate that the channels listed refer to anything else. The more I look at it, the more it seems that way to me.

If you look at the flyer though rey, they are in the section that says "hd channels" at the bottom. There is no break in the graphic to indicate that the channels listed refer to anything else. The more I look at it, the more it seems that way to me.
i noticed ;):)

here's what smith sent me :)

d pic.JPG

their advertising has been real suspect lately. i saw a commercial yesterday that compared dish to dtv. one of the things they said was along the lines of "dish charges you $40.00 to record TO YOUR OWN HARDDRIVE while DTV ALLOWS THIS FOR FREE." this makes it sound like you can save the programs to your PC, and as far as i know this is no allowed, heck evne the DTV2PC software now supposedly stops you from doing a screen capture.

I thought some of the D* recievers you can hook an esata hard drive to it and record...but maybe I misread somewhere

their advertising has been real suspect lately. i saw a commercial yesterday that compared dish to dtv. one of the things they said was along the lines of "dish charges you $40.00 to record TO YOUR OWN HARDDRIVE while DTV ALLOWS THIS FOR FREE." this makes it sound like you can save the programs to your PC, and as far as i know this is no allowed, heck evne the DTV2PC software now supposedly stops you from doing a screen capture.
They have all been pretty much misleading.

I did see a commercial today by Direct that did an accurate job of comparing the two. This one actually directly compared both providers accurately (not misleading at all, such as those they do with channel counts, pricing, and packages).

It was the same setup they have been using (the one in which they stole the Dish two TV comparison coming out of the floor) and they stated, "Dish says they have the same programming that Direct does...Really?" Then Direct showed YES, MLBNet, and EI, and then stated (this is the best part), "And this is only the baseball."

yeah I saw that tonight too

The only thing is they say "for the most sports...its DIrectv" yet they dont mention Versus ;)

Once VS comes back D* will be even better

I thought some of the D* recievers you can hook an esata hard drive to it and record...but maybe I misread somewhere

I don't think the receivers have an esata port. usb yes. so far the receivers for D* don't have the capability that for example the vip 211 has to attach an external drive and use as a DVR. if i'm wrong someone will correct me.

right, you can hang your own drive off it to increase capacity. WE understand that. but think of how many times we see threads here asking about taking that drive and watching it on your pc while away from home, or just transferring the movies to the PC/mobile device. that is how many uninformed people will take it. heck, i almost took it that way as well.

shoot, i bet nearly 25% of the folks i know still call the PC portion of a computer the "hard drive"

I didn''t take it that way at all.
What they are saying is if you want to add an External HD to DISH Network they charge you $ 40 for the right ..... and they do.

You are correct Iceberg, you can add an EHD to your D* recvr and record.
Free of charge, except for the cost of buying the unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)