Missing Channel

rcc147

Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
New York
Recently set up an antenna on my roof with the intention of picking up one channel - WMBC-DT, 63.1. The transmitter is located 23 miles away and antennaweb + tvfool both say I should get a great signal. I pick up many other channels (including WNJN, 50.1 which is from another transmitter 23 miles away and in same direction) but no signal at all for this one. Hoping someone can see if I am doing something wrong. Details below.

Antenna- Winegard (similar to 'ghostkiller' model), 7th long.
Height - On roof, about 30 ft high. Pointed to 299 degrees (per antennaweb).
TV - Old CRT with digital converter box.
Location - ZIP 11361

I probably pick up about 20 channels including all the major ones (CBS, Fox, ABC etc).

Very confused by this and would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

it just doesnt make sense. The station transmitter is a little farther north than the others in NY but it is at 1 million watts so even though its up the road the antenna should still pick it up just fine

You have no other way to test it (a different TV, converter box?)

Do you have a signal strength reading on your converter box? 50.1 looks to be broadcast off the same tower or very close and has about twice as strong a signal (4 dB) as 63.1.

Do you have any splitters or diplexers on your lines from the antenna to TVs? Any amplifiers? Are you using a Winegard "Ghost Killer" or a knock off? At 23 mi. it should come in on rabbit ears. I am looking for something you can see but something you haven't told us is there.

Antenna- Winegard (similar to 'ghostkiller' model), 7th long.

Very confused by this and would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

I suspect FM interference from WFUV. A HLSJ used as an FM trap might fix it. Connect a 75 ohm termination to the Low VHF input. Most other FM traps won't attenuate 90.7.

Another choice is an antenna without FM reception ability such as the Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-22.

Appreciate the efforts to help me here. The antenna is a genuine Winegard, although I couldn't find the model number and someone told me it was like the "Ghost Killer". The signal is split once, no amplifier is being used. The signal strength for 50.1 is excellent but shows "No Signal" for the missing channel.

I also tried using the digital tuner in an LCD tv and same issue. My friend who lives in zip 11208 tried with his digital tv and again receives many channels but not this one. Does anyone else in New York City pick up this channel?

I'm happy to try the HLSJ suggestion, but need to understand it fully:

"A HLSJ used as an FM trap might fix it. Connect a 75 ohm termination to the Low VHF input. Most other FM traps won't attenuate 90.7."

Which connector on the HLSJ separator/joiner does the cable from the antenna go to? Which connector sends the signal to the TV? And the "75 ohm terminator goes on the Low VHF connector" - Can I customize or use a regular coax cable connector or will this only 'terminate' properly with a genuine terminator plug?

Which connector on the HLSJ separator/joiner does the cable from the antenna go to? Which connector sends the signal to the TV? And the "75 ohm terminator goes on the Low VHF connector" - Can I customize or use a regular coax cable connector or will this only 'terminate' properly with a genuine terminator plug?

Use a genuine terminator. They're 25 cents in 10 quantities.

Coaxial Cable: F TERMINATOR

Connect the antenna to the High VHF. The TV set goes on the output port.

Recently was able to try the HLSJ solution described here, but unfortunately, no different from before, still unable to pick up the missing channel.

Is there anything else I can try?

With that low of channel number and that high of power maybe there is too much signal? Do you have a small indoor antenna you can try.... like the little UHF loop antenna from an old TV? Try emailing the station to see if others in your area are having problems and what they have as a solution.

Is there anything else I can try?
Do you have any obstructions in the direction the antenna is pointed? I'm thinking the antenna is in a dead spot for RF18, or nearby trees or houses in the way are causing multipath issues.

I experience a similar problem with a relatively strong station. My Samsung TV reads No Signal when pointed directly at the station. Lowering the antenna about 1 foot & re-aiming the antenna off axis about 15 degrees brings it in quite well. I've tried a few different antennas & the same procedure worked every time for that station. (One of them was a Winegard Ghost Killer as well)

In Northern MN we have one station that has 4 networks on it...including one in HD :eek:

KRII 11
11.1 NBC HD
11.2 CW
11.3 CBS (the owner of NBC runs CBS in Duluth...this is the northern part of the market)
11.4 Weather
11.9 My Network

Duluth they are on 2 stations
CBS & CW on 3.1 & 3.2 and the other 3 on 6.1, 6.2 & 6.3

Subchannels

Keep in mind, one station in California has 12 SD subchannels and they look pretty nice. Another station has 2 HD and one SD; again, they look good. If you really want to see compression, watch cable. As to your reception problem--there is a barrier which greatly disrupts the signal from WMBC to you; it's called Manhattan. The reason you get NJN is their antenna is omni while WMBC's is directional West. Reception in Brooklyn and Queens is spotty.

Bought a new tv in the Pre-Black Friday sales (Dynex - Best Buy brand), got it home and scanned for channels, get twice as many as before plus the missing channel (63.1)! It comes in with a very strong signal.

I didn't realise digital tuners could be so different. I had previously tried with two converter boxes and two new tv's (One was a Samsung) and none of them could pick up the channel. Can someone help me understand how this is possible?

Also, my friend in zip 11208 wants this channel (he has the Samsung, only a couple of months old). Is there anything he can do? Are there any tuners he can buy that would pick up the same channels as my Dynex?

interesting that you got all those channels. While most TV's have the same tuner the converter boxes seem to have a cheaper tuner in them that does have issues with further stations. I have 2 converter boxes, a AM21 for Directv and my Panny plasma and the best tuner is the Panny then the AM21

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)