Missing HD Channels

Eqxav

Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
NJ
Seems I lost 8 HD Channels on 5/26/11, and realized I was missing 18 HD channels I never received.

I called Dish Network tech support and the first level of support put me over to the 2nd level support people (at this point I only realized that 8 channels were missing). The person I spoke with the first time shouldn't have been on that level of support. I asked specific questions like are my HD channels gone because HD channels have been moved from 61.5 to 72.7 (I Read a post here about something to that effect) and is the problem with the dish, he said no. So he said he would forward onto the developers to resolve the problem. At this point I was ready to cancel the service, half of my programs I had set to record didn't record because if you set the timer from the HD channel, it won't record from the SD channel if HD is unavailable. So I lost 2 weeks of recordings. I don't watch live TV anymore, it is why it took me over a week to notice the channel was missing.

I decided to make a list of all the channels I was missing, which turned out to be 18 additional channels. So I called back about 2 hours later to get put back to second level support. I finally got a tech that knew what she was doing. I explained the situation to her that I called a few hours ago. She immediately had me check to see what birds I was pointing at (61.5, 110, and 119) and told me the problem was they were moving HD programming (the reason I lost 8 channels, as they were changed to the 4080 range channels, they were originally in the 9000 range and they never decided to test to see if they would be remapped to their original channels IE Discovery 4080 is supposed to be remapped to channel 182). After verifying my equipment she told me that the one SD DVR would need to be replaced (at no charge to me or no commitment), and that that dish's would need to be repointed. The reason I was missing 18 channels was because they were never on one of the birds I was connected to. So I've been paying for HD service and only getting 2/3rds of the channels. I should have paid closer attention. Hind sight is 20/20.

Currently we are using VIP722 HD DuoDVR, VIP 211 HD Solo, and a 625 DuoDVR. The 625 is the one that they are replacing with an additional VIP722. She told me that the 625 DVR would need to be replaced because some channels will only have HD and no SD because of the dish repointing.

The installer is coming Friday to re-point the Dish and install the new receiver. I'll post a reply letting the forum know if the problem has been resolved.

Here is a partial list of the HD channels I am missing (Not including premium HD channels I am missing).
* AMC HD
* BBC America HD
* Big Ten Network HD1
* Cartoon Network (East) HD
* CNN HD
* Cooking Channel HD
* Discovery Channel HD
* E! Entertainment Television HD
* Fox Soccer Channel HD
* Galavisíon HD
* G4 HD
* Hallmark Channel HD
* HGTV HD
* History HD
* HLN HD
* Investigation Discovery HD
* Lifetime HD
* Nat Geo Wild HD
* OWN HD
* RFDTV HD
* TBS HD
* TeleFutura (West) HD
* TLC HD
* Travel Channel HD
* truTV HD
* Turner Classic Movies HD

I just wanted to post something here in case someone else goes searching, because I couldn't find anything out on the net about missing HD channels withing the past year.

Wish their were satellite card that could be installed in the PC for Dish Network or DirecTV. I would much rather have my own HTPC where I could have more functionality and use less power, plus be able to upgrade the hardware easily. I know its wishful thinking... lol

Eqxav

Welcome!

What you will get is a 1000.4 Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77) single dish to replace your hybrid arc (61.5/110/119) two-dish setup. The issue with your 625 is that it's mpeg-2 only, and Eastern Arc birds are mpeg-4 only. Once converted over, you will be in the vanguard, since all those old bandwidth-wasting mpeg-2 SD receivers have been relegated to the Western Arc (110/119/129). Eventually they will all be replaced with mpeg-4 receivers.

Regarding PCs, I too wish there were a PC card. I note you have a 722. You can get a free (after gift card) Sling Adapter for your 722 and stream HD video to PC's in your house or around the world (if you have adequate Internet bandwidth). How's that for finding out about free stuff on Satelliteguys.us? We've known about the Eastern Arc migration for well over a year now, too. ;)

I am aggravated that they never even sent a letter or even something in the bill saying there is a migration going on. Such is life...

After this is taken care of and everything is in place, I may call up to get a VIP922 and re-sign a contract. My brother wants a DVR of his own now (hes using the VIP211), so if I can get a VIP922, i'll move my old VIP722 to his room. He gets no say what DVR he is gunna get since I pay the bill....lol

Hmm, I'll have to take a look into the sling adapter. My biggest problem is if i can capture/save the stream on the PC. I like to save my content, I currently use a component capture card for saving HD videos on my PC, and manually cut out commercials with TMPGENC xpress. It does take time though and would like to streamline it a bit.

I have a linux server setup with 12TB space used to hold all my digital media I rip. I am trying to consolidate all the devices under my TV though. I want to have one box that does everything, but with satellite there are no subscription tuner cards for HTPC's. I have one HTPC I am testing and it is great as an all in one device. If Fios came around it would be great with the new ceton cable card. Wish Satellite would come out with one like that.

The HTPC is a Core I3 -2100T with 4GB Ram on a DH67CF MITX motherboard and 40gb SSD. The power consumption is only 14 watts at idle and actual use is about 30 watts.. That VIP722 is about 38watts on standby and 44 watts in use. Just wish my dream would come true with the pc satellite cards...

I've been coming to Satelliteguys forum for a few years now, only just made the account now cause I finally had something to contribute.

I am aggravated that they never even sent a letter or even something in the bill saying there is a migration going on. Such is life...

That's funny, they've been calling me, emailing me, and sending me letters and postcards about it, even AFTER I told them that I had already got an Eastern Arc dish. To make matters worse, the first guy I talked to to try to get it straightened out tried to tell me that I should have a Western Arc dish instead. Uh, no. After all the trouble I had getting HD locals in the first place, I think I know which satellite they're on, plus the other one wouldn't even make sense for this area, plus the guy sounded like he was in India anyway so has probably never even had Dish service of any kind.

...I've been coming to Satelliteguys forum for a few years now, only just made the account now cause I finally had something to contribute.

If that's the case, then the migration shouldn't be a surprise...

There are many posts on this, over several months. This is all well known and planned, surprised you didn't see anything! In any case, hopefully now you will get everything. Dish has been notifying people in their system that it might affect, assuming the information in their system is correct. Of course very possible you got missed.

I can't find the offer re the Free Gift Card. Also, what can the gift card be used for?

TIA

It's a $99 credit card. You can use it for whatever you want.

To the original poster. I'd hold off on the 922. Dish is coming out with a whole house dvr. You can add an external HD to your 211 and turn it into a dvr. There is a 1 time fee of $40, but no monthly dvr fees. Also, for the Sling adapter to work, you must have broadband internet access to your 722.

Check and see if you get some of the missing HD channels in the 4000's channel range. If you do then call DISH you need an upgrade. :)

If that's the case, then the migration shouldn't be a surprise...

I used to only come to the site when I needed information. So it is very easy to miss information if you aren't looking for it as for the past year I didn't think I was having any problems.

It's a $99 credit card. You can use it for whatever you want.

To the original poster. I'd hold off on the 922. Dish is coming out with a whole house dvr. You can add an external HD to your 211 and turn it into a dvr. There is a 1 time fee of $40, but no monthly dvr fees. Also, for the Sling adapter to work, you must have broadband internet access to your 722.

How many tuner is the new DVR they are coming out with? If it is a 4 or 6 tuner it would be worth it for me to wait. Everyone in my house (5 people) watches different programming to the extremes. The biggest problem we had was conflict of scheduling using even 2 DVR's (4 tuners), and my brother doesn't like the idea of only being able to record the same channel he is watching using an external hard drive.. If they had a sever type DVR with more than 4 tuners and dumb boxes with multiple (2) tuners hooked up to the TV's (for PiP), there wouldn't be a problem. I like the idea of a centralized DVR, provided it has enough tuners to record all of the shows we watch at the same time. I have the entire house wired with gigabit ethernet and wireless N AP's on every floor, so internal connectivity isn't an issue, and the broadband is a 40Mbps down 15Mbps up cable modem so streaming to the net shouldn't be an issue either.
You have me intrigued now with this new whole house DVR they are coming out with. I am going to have to look and see if I can find information on it.
Check and see if you get some of the missing HD channels in the 4000's channel range. If you do then call DISH you need an upgrade. :)

I already called as stated in the original post. They are coming Friday to upgrade the dish and DVR receiver. Yes there are 8 channels in the 4000 range, but the other 18 HD channels I am missing are not there in any range, hence the dish upgrade and receiver upgrade.

I do have to admit, I am glad for all of the replies.. I forgot how great and knowledgeable forum communities are.

That's funny, they've been calling me, emailing me, and sending me letters and postcards about it, even AFTER I told them that I had already got an Eastern Arc dish. To make matters worse, the first guy I talked to to try to get it straightened out tried to tell me that I should have a Western Arc dish instead. Uh, no. After all the trouble I had getting HD locals in the first place, I think I know which satellite they're on, plus the other one wouldn't even make sense for this area, plus the guy sounded like he was in India anyway so has probably never even had Dish service of any kind.

Your account is probably tagged wrong if you're still getting calls. I can fix it in just a few seconds if you'd like (just PM a phone/account number)

After this is taken care of and everything is in place, I may call up to get a VIP922 and re-sign a contract. My brother wants a DVR of his own now (hes using the VIP211), so if I can get a VIP922, i'll move my old VIP722 to his room. He gets no say what DVR he is gunna get since I pay the bill....lol

Hmm, I'll have to take a look into the sling adapter. My biggest problem is if i can capture/save the stream on the PC. I like to save my content, I currently use a component capture card for saving HD videos on my PC, and manually cut out commercials with TMPGENC xpress. It does take time though and would like to streamline it a bit.

I have a linux server setup with 12TB space used to hold all my digital media I rip. I am trying to consolidate all the devices under my TV though. I want to have one box that does everything, but with satellite there are no subscription tuner cards for HTPC's. I have one HTPC I am testing and it is great as an all in one device. If Fios came around it would be great with the new ceton cable card. Wish Satellite would come out with one like that.

The HTPC is a Core I3 -2100T with 4GB Ram on a DH67CF MITX motherboard and 40gb SSD. The power consumption is only 14 watts at idle and actual use is about 30 watts.. That VIP722 is about 38watts on standby and 44 watts in use. Just wish my dream would come true with the pc satellite cards...

I've been coming to Satelliteguys forum for a few years now, only just made the account now cause I finally had something to contribute.

If you never received any calls or letters, chances are your account was probably tagged wrong. The reason we made the virtual channel moves is so that we can get customers (like yourself) to call in to get a migration done.

If there's anything you want me to review, feel free to PM account info.

I used to only come to the site when I needed information.
There is your problem right there, please make us a regular stop on your daily browsing schedule. ;)

Yes there are 8 channels in the 4000 range, but the other 18 HD channels I am missing are not there in any range, hence the dish upgrade and receiver upgrade.
I am guessing you dont watch much TV as many of the channels were moved 2 months ago (or longer) :)

So what you need to do is watch more TV and visit SatelliteGuys more. :D

If you never received any calls or letters, chances are your account was probably tagged wrong. The reason we made the virtual channel moves is so that we can get customers (like yourself) to call in to get a migration done.

If there's anything you want me to review, feel free to PM account info.

I appreciate the offer for the account review, but it should be correct now on your end, if it isn't after they come Friday I will happily PM you.
There is your problem right there, please make us a regular stop on your daily browsing schedule. ;)

I am guessing you dont watch much TV as many of the channels were moved 2 months ago (or longer) :)

So what you need to do is watch more TV and visit SatelliteGuys more. :D

You hit the nail right on the head! I have everything set to record on the DVR. I don't watch live TV anymore (despise commercials), so when I knew there was a new episode of American Restoration on history channel and it didn't record that's when I found out about the problem. The Week before the HD channel was there that's how I isolated the date to be around 5/26/11 that they moved the HD channels.
The other reason I didn't notice there were other HD channels missing is because my brother probably thought he broke his HD receiver and didn't want to say anything (fear of me getting pissed off), and the other DVR in the house is a SD receiver (which we didn't lose any SD channels).

If the TV didn't get any commercials or if they put the commercials at the end of the program like they do in the UK, I would happily watch more live TV. Most of the commercials are annoying. Only a few commercials have creativity (I enjoy the new Geico commercials without the gecko).

Your account is probably tagged wrong if you're still getting calls. I can fix it in just a few seconds if you'd like (just PM a phone/account number)

I'll have to give it a few days and see if it's stopped yet, my dealer was supposed to be taking care of it but even the first try didn't work for her for some reason...

I don't know what the dealers have access to (I'm assuming something similar to what we have), but hopefully she can fix it. Let me know if you still get the calls.

Wanted to give an update. The installer came to my house today. They installed one of the Eastern Arc dishes and replaced the 625 receiver with the vip722 receiver. The new dish is actually getting a slightly better signal then the old dish 500's. I have all the HD channels I should now. Plus it seems they have new remote controls that come with the 722 DVR's so I took one of the remotes for the other 722 I have in the other room. They are a real nice learning remote so you can program the keys to whatever you want. If they had this remote when I first setup my home theater i probably wouldn't have bought a harmony one. The installer did a great job and was finished in about an hour and a half.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts