Missing Space on my external HDD - VIP622

gd48221

Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
hey guys, I just connected a WD My Book 500gb HDD to my DVR and all is fine as far as archiving and viewing goes. I did notice one thing though. After the reformat and coming on line, I noticed my 500gb harddrive only showed about 470gb, (don't remeber exact #), of free space. I am assuming it is some sort of software put on by DishN, but what in the world takes up 30gb? I know that the DVR itself has space portioned for being able to pause and rewind live tv, but why would the DVR need to have that space available?

FYI, The HDD went straight from the packaging to my DVR, never to a PC. It is dedicated.

Thanks for any info,
gus

Its not missing space. The actual capacity of a 500GB drive when formated is around 465GB. I don't remember exactly how the calculations work, but its all that wonderfull hex math stuff. So, the 622 didn't mysteriously take the space, you just bought a hard drive that has an actual capacity of 465GB.

edit - and when I say formating brings the capacity in at 465GB, it would be about the same whether it was formatted for the 622, windows, mac, etc.

Ah, as usual for new member here - Search feature will help you find many answers before you ever thought about it. ;)

Find a thread , for example, where is revealed partitioning of 622/722 EHD.

Ah, as usual for new member here - Search feature will help you find many answers before you ever thought about it. ;)

Find a thread , for example, where is revealed partitioning of 622/722 EHD.
Only you would think up with such search parameters. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts