SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
toppick.cur.png

1112mitspj.promo_.jpg

1112mitspj.bac.jpg

Conclusions
Yes, the Mitsubishi has a few issues and omissions. There’s that magenta shift at the top of the brightness range when it’s pushed for a satisfying 2D brightness on a relatively large, low-gain screen. But it was largely invisible with program material. The projector doesn’t go below black, but I was still able to set the black level (and when it’s set correctly, you aren’t supposed to see below black anyway). Then there’s the physical positioning limits and the lack of motorized lens adjustments. But with a ceiling mount, neither of these should be a concern. And finally, there’s the non-defeatable motion interpolation in 3D, which may or may not trouble you.

But when I fed it a quality source, the Mitsubishi continually surprised me in ways I didn’t expect, and its picture truly floored me more than once. There are other projectors that cost a bit more than the Mitsubishi’s street price that offer additional features and somewhat better black levels. But the HC7800D is definitely in the hunt, and I enjoyed every minute I spent with it. For me, that’s Top Pick territory, and highly recommended.

hometheater.com