MLB 2008 Season

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I always take this week off of work every year, so I basically get to stay up and watch the games (I'm in the Eastern time zone). Even though the later starts give me a chance to get some work done around the house during the day, I prefer the earlier starts because I like day baseball. TBS and MLB are doing their darndest to eliminate day baseball, and I guess it's because of ratings. And one of the day games is in a dome, so that eliminates afternoon shadows--hellish, I'm sure, for the players, but one of my favorite parts of the viewing experience.

Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge have been named AL and NL Comeback Players of the Year.

Lee, of course, will be taking home a more famous award in a few weeks.

Brad Lidge
NL Comeback Player of the Year.

If I bet that Brad Lidge, given his shaky 2006 and 2007 in Houston, in a bandbox of a park for a team with a volatile fan base that boo their closers when they screw up saves, would blow ZERO saves this year, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

As for Cliff Lee, I was a bit surprised- at one point, I thought Josh Hamilton would be a runaway winner for that award.

Manny Ramirez rants on Hub - BostonHerald.com

I might as well give Bill something to rant about.

Go ahead, Billy- fire away at Me Me.

Nahhh, I'll pass, but I will give you a taste of what OTHER people feel:

MANNY PLEASE, WE WHO HAVE WATCHED YOUR BS FOR 8 YEARS KNOW WHO YOU ARE. AN AMUSING BUT IGNORANT GUY WHO COULD HIT A BASEBALL. A GUY WHO COULD DRIVE BY A GROUP OF KIDS AND NOT STOP TO SIGN A BALL, SAY HELLO OR ANYTHING ELSE. I DO AGREE WITH ONE THING, IF ALOT OF PEOPLE TOOK YOUR ADVICE WE COULD GO BACK TO 10 DOLLAR TICKETS AND BALLPLAYERS GETTING PAID WHAT THEY ARE WORK, YOU KNOW ABOUT 30K OR SO A YEAR THEN MAYBE YOU COULD TAKE A PART TIME JOB AT UPS AND SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD. GO AWAY AND SHUT UP, YOU'RE NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Hey Manny- you know why Boston wasn't your cup of tea? Boston has class, which is a word you probably can't spell. You were a cry baby pain in the *** who hit the hell out of a baseball for the time you were there, we thank you for that. I guess a guy who makes $20M a year can burn bridges when ever he sees fit. Have a nice life.....you clown.

Funny, the a-hole didn't mind the $160million while here.

ME ME ME. Team means nothing to this maroon. Money and me. The little kid who could hit the baseball, too bad he never grew up. We got his best years and we paid a little over the going rate. We won two World Series during his time here, and I'll be honest and say he was a big part of both. I would do it all over again and I have no doubt Manny would too. Except he can't man up and admit it. What a sore loser and a big crybaby. Other than hitting a baseball, he is worthless as a human being. Even your teammates knew you were full of BS. Not even the gluttonous NY Yankees would ever hire you (you know that is where he wants to play next) because they know a clubhouse sickness when they see one. They are already gritting their teeth over having the other conceited, selfish, spoiled, overpaid and me-first player on their team for 9 more years. Why would they sign another player like that who is a crybaby to boot? Wait .....they ARE the Yankees!

Wait........this one is the best :up:

Of course he loves LA. Manny isn't about to say me misses Boston. Us losers in Boston can see what you are up to Manny. You are hitting well because it's the national league. You are actually trying right now so you can set your self up for that final big whammy of a contract. The $160 million you made here in the last 8 years must of been pure hell for you Manny. How dare we expect you to be a team player, a role model, someone who gives 110%. Nope, not Manny. Manny, you are a phenominal hitter!!! but that is it. I'll take JB over you any day. He doesn't sit there and admire each and every long ball he hits. You're fielding was bizarre and ugly. Just remember Manny, the whole team took a vote on you. They voted you off, not the sports writers, not the fans. You were poison and your own teamates actually knew enough was enough. Imagine that Manny, the players you spend 8 months out of the year with decided it would be better in the long run for the team, to let you and childish ways go. They had enough. You quit and your true colors came flying through. So Manny, you go join the list of me me me guys like Pedro, Nomar, womanizer Damon who all left for greener pastures because of their own egos . If they had just shut up and played they all could of had a world series ring from last year. To bad guys

I NEVER though I'd say this, but Terrell Owens would be a better teammate than Me Me.

Hell, even Bonds cared about the Giants when they sucked!

Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge have been named AL and NL Comeback Players of the Year.

Lee, of course, will be taking home a more famous award in a few weeks.

Congratulations to both of these fellas. Well deserved and great accomplishment! A sure sign at how hard the both of them worked on and off the field to rekindle their abilities this year.

As for Lee, if some of you were not familiar with his situation, please let me provide a brief history and how he deserves this award more than any.....

Lee never got on track in 2007 after suffering a strained abdominal muscle in spring training. By the time he was healthy, the season had begun and he was trying to make the adjustments the Indians wanted while facing batters who had a month head-start on him. The losses and frustration began snowballing until the four-game losing streak that led to his Buffalo stay.

When he was in Class AAA Buffalo, N.Y., for seven starts at the end of last season, came back to Cleveland as a bullpen benchwarmer, was left off the Tribe's postseason roster and offered as trade bait during the off-season, he didn't lash out at the Indians or anyone else who lost faith in him. Instead he used it as motivation to work his tail of in the offseason.

Part of that is because of Lee's innate laid-back confidence, an easygoing personality that rarely wavers from the baseline of unruffled. His face always seems to be the same unaltered blank mask, only rarely cracked by a smile

Part of his coping ability, too, was knowing what real tragedy is, and that there is a difference between a minor setback and an earth-crashing catastrophe.

Tragedy was when Lee's son, Jaxon, was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 4 months old, an illness that led to chemotherapy, a stem cell transplant and more chemotherapy before the cancer finally was defeated. Or when daughter Maci was born three months premature, so tiny and fragile that she caused a world of worry.

Tragedy was not being relegated to the forgotten land in Buffalo - just a year removed from signing a three-year contract because he was viewed as a vital cog in the Indians' organization - while the Tribe succeeded without him.

In Buffalo, Lee was back to a minor-league lifestyle he hadn't lived since 2003 - staying in hotels that weren't the Ritz Carlton and coaching first base for the Bisons, just like all the team's other starting pitchers. Buffalo manager Torey Lovullo called him a "true professional" who simply went to work each day and did what was asked. But Lee didn't distinguish himself enough to earn a return ticket to the big-league starting rotation; he was 1-3 with a 3.51 ERA for the Bisons.

His kids, back in Cleveland, didn't understand what had happened. They just knew Lee wasn't playing for the Tribe, so Jaxon, then 6, objected when Kristen Lee turned the TV to an Indians game in August.

"We can't watch that," Jaxon said. "Daddy's not with that team anymore."

Lee was determined to get back after watching the Tribe come close to a World Series appearance, and even was eager to return after an off-season filled with trade rumors. Several times he thought he was headed to another team. Kristen Lee would keep a closer watch on the gossipy Internet message boards, while Cliff merely shrugged that he only wanted to be with a team that wanted him.

Going into the '08 season, Lee was given the opportunity to win the 5th and final starting spot in the rotation. What he did, then, was return to spring training healthy, win the starting spot over his former replacement, Aaron Laffey, and become an unbeatable force on the mound.

What followed was a record of 22-3 with a 2.54 ERA, leading the AL in both wins and ERA. He added to that a 1.11 WHIP and 170 K's against only 34 walks (5.00 K/BB). Seeing where he was in '07 and the personal battles he had, surely makes this years' accomplishment even all the more impressive.

Thanks for the inspiration Cliffy! :up

Brainfry,

Day games in October are an endangered species. Even the night games have oddball start times.
8:37 p.m. Central in Chicago? What the heck is that about? It wasn't all that long ago when
at least a handful of playoff games began at 1:05 p.m. EDT. No more.

Brainfry,

Day games in October are an endangered species. Even the night games have oddball start times.
8:37 p.m. Central in Chicago? What the heck is that about? It wasn't all that long ago when
at least a handful of playoff games began at 1:05 p.m. EDT. No more.

9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT is actually a pretty good start time to have the game available to as many people nationally as possible. Most people do actually work during the day.

As for day games, there is a game today that starts at 2:30pm ET. And if either/bot NLDS go to 4 games, they'll be day games on Sunday as well. Seems to me that TBS is more interested in getting games to primetime somewhere which is when the maximal number of people can watch then put games on during the day. I can't say I blame them.

Personally, I rather like the schedule TBS has shown. ~2-3pm is probably the earliest a game should start during a weekday and I'd rather have game 2 start at 6pm ET (like tonight) over ~4-4:30pm (which has been the case in the past).

As a side note, TBS seems pretty good about getting the games started mostly on time, not having the first pitch be 25+ minutes after the set time like FOX.

To TBS's credit, the advertised first pitch times are being followed. Fox rarely, if ever abides by advertised first pitch. The 6:37 starts in the East are also nice. If it was on Fox, it would be 8:25 at the earliest!

Congrat's Cliffy!

For Cliff Lee, hopefully this is only the beginning.

Lee already won the AL’s comeback player of the year award, and this weekend he picked up two more honors. Lee was voted Most Outstanding Pitcher by the player’s association as well as AL Pitcher of the Year by The Sporting News. These awards are nice, but the big one now looms.

But regardless of what happened this past season with the team, at least we can all take pride in having the Cy Young recipient for what would then be back-to-back seasons. Twenty-win seasons do not come all that often in these parts. Now let’s just hope we can build off of this next year, instead of using it as a slump buster.

Post Season Awards Coming Cliff’s Way | WaitingForNextYear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)