MLB 2010 Season

Not long ago during a Dodger-Padre game, I was going back and forth between listening to Vin Scully for the Dodgers, and Dick Enberg for the Padres.

Sandra

Not long ago during a Dodger-Padre game, I was going back and forth between listening to Vin Scully for the Dodgers, and Dick Enberg for the Padres.

Sandra

Both great announcers.:up

Strasburg pitched 5.1 innings today, giving up just two hits - one on a broken bat, jam job - and one earned run. He was a hair off with his control, walking five, but his misses were only off by a few inches.

How many more games like these first two does he have to pitch before we start considering him for the CY Young Award?

Update:

According to Elias Sports Bureau, only one pitcher since 1900 has had more strikeouts before issuing his first career walk than Strasburg, who fanned 19 before walking Santana in the fourth. Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto struck out 22 before his first walk in 2008.

Last edited:
Strasburg pitched 5.1 innings today, giving up just two hits - one on a broken bat, jam job - and one earned run. He was a hair off with his control, walking five, but his misses were only off by a few inches.

How many more games like these first two does he have to pitch before we start considering him for the CY Young Award?

Update:

According to Elias Sports Bureau, only one pitcher since 1900 has had more strikeouts before issuing his first career walk than Strasburg, who fanned 19 before walking Santana in the fourth. Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto struck out 22 before his first walk in 2008.

You mean your considering a guy for the Cy that has missed a third of the season and only pitched 2 games ?

Why not? Two seasons ago, Manny missed 3/2s of the National League season but finished fourth in the MVP race.

So there's NO better pitchers out there after him throwing 2 games .... :rolleyes:

I like the guy too, but come on ....

He's pitched against two sub par teams.

Not like he's throwing against the Yanks, Sox, Twins ect.

So there's NO better pitchers out there after him throwing 2 games .... :rolleyes:

I like the guy too, but come on ....

He's pitched against two sub par teams.

Not like he's throwing against the Yanks, Sox, Twins ect.

I agree.....let's wait till he has about 15 starts under his belt BEFORE we rename the Cy Young award....;)

Remember that trade Detroit made to get Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis a few years ago?

That is looking like a mixed bag.

While Cabrera has proven that his bat is as good as advertised, we all know what happened with Willis.

Tigers fans- how do you grade that trade? One guy has succedded, the other didn't.

Remember that trade Detroit made to get Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis a few years ago?

That is looking like a mixed bag.

While Cabrera has proven that his bat is as good as advertised, we all know what happened with Willis.

Tigers fans- how do you grade that trade? One guy has succedded, the other didn't.

I felt the Willis part of it was a throw in, the Marlin wanted to get rid of Willis's salary.
Then for some reason, Mr. I had a rare time where he just blew it, fell asleep or something, and signed Willis to a long term contract BEFORE he ever pitched an inning.

The players that the Tigers gave up, I can't remember for sure, Camrin Maybin was one, he's either playing in the big leagues and doing OK or in the minors, I haven't looked lately.
The gave up a pitcher who I thought would be very good if given time, I think it was Andrew Miller, you'll have to ask Salsa how they are doing as I haven't kept up on them, being in the NL now.

Over all, I thought the Tigers getting a young Miguel Cabrera at the time was awesome and if you watch him at all, you would still be enjoying that trade.

Now the one really bad move that Dombrowski made was trying to upgrade the SS position a few years back and getting Edger Rentaria, I never liked the trade and it never worked out for them either Rent was a huge disappointment ( I think him and Gullen were friends and I think that had something to do with it.

I also think that because Willis and Cabrera are close friends that is part of the reason the Willis thing went on so long in Detroit.

That was a HUGE mistake as it cost us a up and coming and now here young guy names Jir Jirrgens, he's currently on the DL, but watch out when he gets back.

Btw, Both Willis and Edwin Jackson will pitch for Arizona in the next series against the Tigers ....
They were send as part of the big trade over the winter for Granderson/ A. Jackson . :)

Overall I am thrilled with the Cabrera/Willis trade, just feel the money issue with Willis was REALLY a bad move and how long they kept him in the rotation last year, it virtually cost us the AL Central, you knew everytime they sent him out last year it was going to be a disaster and normally a loss.

Last edited:
just a FYI...noticed this yesterday

This Week in Baseball is now finally in HD

I know it isnt the "TWIB" us "older guys" grew up on where that was the main way to get your weekly highlights but I still like to watch it. It got better than a few years ago when it was geared towards kids. I know it still is but it's alot better (although I do miss Jennie Finch on there) :p

The Baltimore Sun reported today that because Bard has been pitching so well in the late innings, the Red Sox now plan on shopping Papelbon in the offseson. Papelbon was a bargain at his pre-arbitration, 2008 price of $750,000, but at his present level of $10,000,000, the Red Sox seem inclined to let Bard close next year for about $400,000.

I would think that before the Red Sox start shopping Papelbon, they need to take stock of their starting staff and determine of they can depend on Beckett and Dice-K, because if they can't, then they might as well move Papelbon into their starting rotation.

The Baltimore Sun reported today that because Bard has been pitching so well in the late innings, the Red Sox now plan on shopping Papelbon in the offseson. Papelbon was a bargain at his pre-arbitration, 2008 price of $750,000, but at his present level of $10,000,000, the Red Sox seem inclined to let Bard close next year for about $400,000.

I would think that before the Red Sox start shopping Papelbon, they need to take stock of their starting staff and determine of they can depend on Beckett and Dice-K, because if they can't, then they might as well move Papelbon into their starting rotation.

Personally, if the are either going to trade him or make him a Starting pitcher, I would definitely KEEP him and try Starting !

NCAA Football on DirecTV for 10/23/2010

NCAA Football on DirecTV for 10/30/2010

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts