MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lester and Hernandez

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

Let's compare...teams.... Lester 38-19, 3.30 ERA and on a better team. Johnson, 29-12, ERA at 2'90 the last two seasons(including this season for both). Hernandez, 36-19, 2.35 ERA On a crappier team than both. I will give you Felix.

No way baby! He will be here for a long time. Him, Hanley and Mike Stanton are the corner stones of the franchise. IF you get them, they will more than likely be past their prime. And by the way, the last few years, the Marlins WERE in the the pennant race for either a wildcard spot or the East. He has proven himself in those spots.

Thats what we all thought when the Tigers took Cabrera off your hands. :D

LOL pennant races the last few years? Seriously?

On September 1, 2010 the Marlins were 10.5 games out in the East, and 8 games out of the wild card. On September 1, 2009, they were 9.5 games out in the East, and 5 games out in the wildcard. On September 1, 2008, they were 7 games out in the East, 10 in the wildcard.

Those are not pennant races, LOL, and Johnson has NEVER pitched in the ultimate pressure spot, a playoff game.

That's why Johnson can't compare in pressure games to Lee, Halladay, Beckett Lincecum, etc....YET.

Sandra

You've made some very good points, Johnson has never pitched in a Pennant race, or in the AL for that matter.

salsadancer7 said:
Let's compare...teams.... Lester 38-19, 3.30 ERA and on a better team. Johnson, 29-12, ERA at 2'90 the last two seasons(including this season for both). Hernandez, 36-19, 2.35 ERA On a crappier team than both. I will give you Felix.

Lester pitches in a much tougher league and division.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

With a better team...so it evens out.

No it doesn't even out at all....

One pitches where EVERY game matters as they are in a race for the playoffs, while Florida may make the playoffs, but it's not like they are facing the same quality competition daily.

While I like Josh and he's a very good pitcher, IF he pitched in the AL you would know how good he really is.

Jimbo said:
No it doesn't even out at all....

One pitches where EVERY game matters as they are in a race for the playoffs, while Florida may make the playoffs, but it's not like they are facing the same quality competition daily.

While I like Josh and he's a very good pitcher, IF he pitched in the AL you would know how good he really is.

The Phillies are just as good or better than anyone in the East and the Braves are not too far behind. Lester does NOT face the supposedly best line up in the East... His own team. So I will say, it does even out.

The pennant race does not JUST START in September. You ARE in a pennant race in August.

If you want to define 'Pennant Race' as being ten games out of it in August, please feel free. As Ramy would say...semantics.

I will now state that Johnson has never pitched in the heat of a SEPTEMBER pennant race...or of course anywhere near serious October baseball. ;)

Again...Lincecum, Beckett, Lee, Halladay, etc., have all come through when it mattered most. Johnson doesn't even know what that feels like yet.

Sandra

Last edited:
SandraC said:
If you want to define 'Pennant Race' as being ten games out of it in August, please feel free. As Ramy would say...semantics.

I will now state that Johnson has never pitched in the heat of a SEPTEMBER pennant race...or of course in the playoffs. ;)

Sandra

But why would your greedy little Yankees want such a "unproven" commodity? Because when you are THAT good, you ARE a big game pitcher. True or False?

But why would your greedy little Yankees want such a "unproven" commodity? Because when you are THAT good, you ARE a big game pitcher. True or False?

OK, if Argument 'A' doens't work for you, move it to Argument 'B'. Got it.

Read my posts...I did not say Johnson COULDN'T pitch in a pennant race or the playoffs, just that he HASN'T. And I also used the word YET. I'm sure the Yankees would take their chances with him if given the opportunity.

Actually, I think King Felix is higher on the Yankees radar screen. He's another guy who hasn't pitched in the playoffs who the Yankees would obviously take their chances with. AND...King Felix has done it in the American League. ;)

But when you make a statement that Johnson has pitched in a pennant race because his team was 5-10 games out in August...that's just bizarre. And that's what I challenged.

Sandra

SandraC said:
OK, if Argument 'A' doens't work for you, move it to Argument 'B'. Got it.

Sandra

Wait...the queen of spin...the queen of "stop picking on the only girl that post here"...is suggesting that I go from one argument to another?!

Priceless.....roflmao!

So you are suggesting that if you are within 5 games of a playoff spot in mid August...your out? Ok...if you say so.

So you are suggesting that if you are within 5 games of a playoff spot in mid August...your out? Ok...if you say so.

Oh my goodness, please stop putting words into my mouth. Please find the post where I said that. You know you I didn't, so you know you can't find it.

Let's try this one more time...I said Johnson has not pitched in the heat of a September pennant race, or in the playoffs. That's what I said, and that's all I said. Anything else is what you add to MY statement.

Sandra

SandraC said:
Oh my goodness, please stop putting words into my mouth. Please find the post where I said that. You know you I didn't, so you know you can't find it.

Let's try this one more time...I said Johnson has not pitched in the heat of a September pennant race, or in the playoffs. That's what I said, and that's all I said. Anything else is what you add to MY statement.

Sandra

LMAO!! You said it in your last statement....!!! Amazing...simply amazing.

I will agree...he has never pitched in the playoffs.

OK for the sake of those unfortunate enough to be watching this, I will move on....

And say that I have a feeling Johnson would be a good pitcher in a serious September pennant race. He'd be welcome on my team any time.

I'm not sure if King Felix has pitched in a September pennant race or not, but I definitely have no doubts about him either.

Andy Pettitte will always have a soft spot in my heart, because he came up big when it mattered most. And I have recently seen Cliff Lee do unbelievable things in big spots as well. Roy Halladay has a short sample peried at the moment, but with the Phillies pitching staff he should also get more opportunities to pitch in serious September/October baseball.

Serious September/October baseball is different from the rest of the season. The best pitchers excel at both.

Sandra

SandraC said:
OK for the sake of those unfortunate enough to be watching this, I will move on....

And say that I have a feeling Johnson would be a good pitcher in a serious September pennant race. He'd be welcome on my team any time.

I'm not sure if King Felix has pitched in a September pennant race or not, but I definitely have no doubts about him either.

Andy Pettitte will always have a soft spot in my heart, because he came up big when it mattered most. And I have recently seen Cliff Lee do unbelievable things in big spots as well. Roy Halladay has a short sample peried at the moment, but with the Phillies pitching staff he should also get more opportunities to pitch in serious September/October baseball.

Serious September/October baseball is different from the rest of the season. The best pitchers excel at both.

Sandra

Well said

Red Sox/ Yankees, 9th inning:
Code:
                  IP  H R ER BB SO HR
 Papelbon  (S, 6) 1.0 2 1  1  0  1  0
The Yankees hit .400 in the last inning.
AntAltMike said:
Papelbon is a blown save waiting to happen

Going to another Reds game tomorrow. Hope this one is exciting as the last one. Reds came from behind last time to beat the Marlins in 10 innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)