MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
cosmo_kramer said:
Nice pitching matchup set for tonight: Verlander v. Beckett.

If the incessant rain up here doesn't mess it up... :rain:

Definately worth the price of admission. You never know what may come out of it.

My favorite is still Sonny Siebert (8-0) versus Vida Blue (10-1), though back in the mid 1960s, we often got to see Koufax, Marichal, Gibson and Drysdale matched up against one another on NBC's Saturday afternoon Game of the Week. Of course, Jim Lonborg versus Dean Chance pitching for all the marbles in the 162nd game of the 1967 season wasn't that bad a ticket to have, either.

You know what is most amazing about Bob Gibson's 1968 season when he posted an ERA of 1.12? He lost NINE games! He should have sued his teammates for non-support.

Update: I just did some ciphering. Gibson had 34 starts in 1968, and 13 were shutouts. He pitched a total of 304 innings. If you subtract 117 shutout innings and 13 shutout wins from those totals, then in his other 21 starts, he went 9-9 with an ERA of 1.83.

Last edited:
My favorite is still Sonny Siebert (8-0) versus Vida Blue (10-1), though back in the mid 1960s, we often got to see Koufax, Marichal, Gibson and Drysdale matched up against one another on NBC's Saturday afternoon Game of the Week.
IIRC, there was a game in the late 80's/early 90's between the Red Sox and A's, when Roger Clemens faced Bob Welch and both had gawdy records.

Nice pitching matchup set for tonight: Verlander v. Beckett.

If the incessant rain up here doesn't mess it up... :rain:

Yes, I'm waiting patiently for this game, great match up .... the way the teams hit last night, we could have a few very interesting pitching performances tonight.

Beckett and the Red Sox were very lucky the Tigers only scored one run this inning. For some stange reason, Gene Lamont (Tigers third base coach) didn't send V-Mart home on a sure sac fly.

BillD1984 said:
Beckett and the Red Sox were very lucky the Tigers only scored one run this inning. For some stange reason, Gene Lamont (Tigers third base coach) didn't send V-Mart home on a sure sac fly.

F'n JD Drew. :mad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

Jimbo said:
For those of you not in the Boston / Detroit markets, this game will be available on MLB Network.

Detroit is in Pittsburgh tomorrow

Sent from my Galaxy s using SatelliteGuys

From ESPN:

Papelbon got himself in trouble in the ninth, allowing consecutive singles to Brandon Inge and Austin Jackson, then walked Scott Sizemore to load the bases with one out. Papelbon struck out Boesch on three pitches, then got Cabrera swinging to keep it tied.
Papelbon's departure cannot happen too soon for me.

On the other hand, Bard, who blew the hold by giving up two home runs last night, finished tied for second blown saves last year behind. Look for Jenks to get more opportunites to assume more important relief roles as soon as he is healthy.

Jimbo said:
Are you going, you should be able to walk up and get great seats !

No, I promised myself that I wouldn't go to another game until two things happen. 1) they are competitive again 2) they get that damn subway under the river done ( next year) so I don't have to walk so damn far to get back to my car.

Being the weekend and that interleague play has started they should have good crowds.

Sent from my Galaxy s using SatelliteGuys

Papelbon is 2-0, 8 for 9 in save chances, And is looking less shaky than last year.

Not buying it, antalt- I don't think he will be going anywhere.

I'm not sure what channel will be in the clear but I will be recording and watching the WGN coverage for the Cubs Red Sox game. Sometimes they show parts of Fenway that NESN doesn't . Should be fun. I've invited a cubs family over for a Pool Party . Let's hope some of the good luck rubs off on the cubs, but only after they leave fenway:)

The Red Sox, with a record of 24-20, are now just half a game out of first. Remember back in April when data bases were scoured comparing the plight of teams that started their season 0-6 and then "improved" to 2-10? What is the record for the fewest number of games it took a team that started 0-6 to climb into first place?

Last edited:
I think your TOP teams rally don't have much to worry about, the yankees notoriously get off to a slow start each year and pretty much end up in the thick of things every year, Boston is the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.