MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think you guys are excited, I am not only a HUGE Phillies fan but also a season ticket holder who lives close enough to "The Bank" that I usually walk there. You could hardly imagine how excited I am.

Regarding injuries earlier in the thread, The Phillies lost most of their star players for extended periods of time last year and still managed to finish with the best record in the majors...IN THE MAJORS!!!!

Excited??? Yeah, I'm excited. Anyway, Reds - ehhh, we'll see (hey fans, sell out the games, buy merch, HELP THEM!!! that's how it's done), Cards - over the hump, Brewers - Please...Really??? the brewers??? No., and watch out for the Astros...yeah, the Astros. I can't call the west but the Rockies I believe have the best shot. AL East will be the best race in baseball.. Twins and watch out for Oakland but it's a lot like the NL West, anyone's game.

You think you guys are excited, I am not only a HUGE Phillies fan but also a season ticket holder who lives close enough to "The Bank" that I usually walk there. You could hardly imagine how excited I am.

Regarding injuries earlier in the thread, The Phillies lost most of their star players for extended periods of time last year and still managed to finish with the best record in the majors...IN THE MAJORS!!!!

Excited??? Yeah, I'm excited. Anyway, Reds - ehhh, we'll see (hey fans, sell out the games, buy merch, HELP THEM!!! that's how it's done), Cards - over the hump, Brewers - Please...Really??? the brewers??? No., and watch out for the Astros...yeah, the Astros. I can't call the west but the Rockies I believe have the best shot. AL East will be the best race in baseball.. Twins and watch out for Oakland but it's a lot like the NL West, anyone's game.

Before you complain about the Reds attendance, you should look at the Braves, perennial playoff contenders never sell out or even come CLOSE for that matter.

Saw that 161 of 162 Tigers games will be on TV, planning to take the kids this year for the first time to a few games...on the fence on MLB for Direct this year with Tiger games on local FSN, ESPN, TBS and MLB Network thats alot of baseball, I guess I have to see if there is a secondary team that I might want to catch!

Saw that 161 of 162 Tigers games will be on TV, planning to take the kids this year for the first time to a few games...on the fence on MLB for Direct this year with Tiger games on local FSN, ESPN, TBS and MLB Network thats alot of baseball, I guess I have to see if there is a secondary team that I might want to catch!

I have that dilemma every year....

TBS ?

You must have found the FS Detroit schedule, I haven't found it as of yet, checked earlier in the week, didn't see it yet.

FSN announced that 152 games will be on FSN Detroit in HD, 9 games on Big Fox, that leaves 1 game missing, thats against Oakland and not shown due to the ever annoying Fox rules that doesn't allow for any games that start after a particular time on a Saturday.

I'm sure someone else will have the details of the Fox agreement, probably the same as last year I would guess.

Sat Jay, if the Tigers are to be shown on MLB Net, it will be blacked out for us and available on FSN D ...

Last edited:
TBS shows some games later in the year dont they? Recently there was an article in the local paper highlighting with FSN and ESPN and Fox I think, Tigers will be on some type of TV for 161 of the 162

Before you complain about the Reds attendance, you should look at the Braves, perennial playoff contenders never sell out or even come CLOSE for that matter.

I wasn't so much complaining about the Reds attendance. I was offering advice on to Reds fans: Help your team by spending money. Here, in Philly, when the team started to show that they cared by winning, we shoudl that we cared by attending and by purchasing merchandise. I watch those home Reds playoff games last year and was shocked by the lack of post-season gear (hats, shirts, etc...) I saw in the crowd. If you have access to the archives of the games watch them and take note and you will see it too. Then watch The Phillies games and take note as well. I guarantee you will see the difference. People are starting to complain about the amount of Phillies spending but they should be praising the fact that the owners aren't pocketing it and instead are giving the FANS what they want - superstar players and great product on the field. There is a direct correlation to ticket/merchandise sales and payroll. And another thing, The Phillies ticket prices have only gone up $2.00 in the past 5 years and the most expensive seats (Diamond Club) are still only $90 face value. So ownership isn't Yankeeing the fans either.

Re the Braves, the fans gave up. After the great years of dominance to only walk away with one WS Championship the fans simply don't care or believe anymore. Kind of happening here with The Eagles right now - always in the playoffs, no rings.

TBS shows some games later in the year dont they? Recently there was an article in the local paper highlighting with FSN and ESPN and Fox I think, Tigers will be on some type of TV for 161 of the 162

I think it's Playoffs only, but could be wrong about that. :eek:

Pujols rejects Cards latest offer....

...I don't get it? The Cards have THE BEST PLAYER in baseball, and they are sending him an offer that is not AT LEAST equivalent to A-Rod's deal ?!!

Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols received and rejected a contract proposal from St. Louis two weeks ago and there has been no progress in the talks since then, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Barring a last-minute deal, the 31-year-old Pujols will make an announcement Tuesday ceasing negotiations, according to USA Today, which was the first to report the Cardinals' offer had been rejected.

Pujols previously said that if a deal was not made by the time he reports for spring training on Wednesday, he will not negotiate again this season.

After he begins spring training, Pujols does not want his agent, Dan Lozano, to discuss a contract with the Cardinals because he doesn't want to have any distractions, a stance he has taken throughout his career.

Manager Tony La Russa addressed the issue Sunday at Cardinals camp in Jupiter, Fla.

"This is a spectacular distraction potentially," he was quoted as saying by USA Today. "We won't allow it to be."

The understanding within the St. Louis front office is that Pujols will not accept any trade going forward, sources told Olney on Jan. 29. He has the right to veto any trade proposal, and would do so.

This means there are only two possible results in the negotiations in the Pujols talks: Either he signs a contract extension with the Cardinals, or he will become a free agent this coming fall.

What happens after that remains to be seen, but the choices facing the Cardinals are expensive in different ways. Either St. Louis will negotiate a deal along the lines of what Pujols has asked for -- probably something in the neighborhood of the 10-year, $275 million deal that Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees in fall 2007 -- or the Cardinals will pay for the backlash after Pujols walks away.

Source: Albert Pujols rejects St. Louis Cardinals' offer as deadline looms - ESPN

...I don't get it? The Cards have THE BEST PLAYER in baseball, and they are sending him an offer that is not AT LEAST equivalent to A-Rod's deal ?!!

Source: Albert Pujols rejects St. Louis Cardinals' offer as deadline looms - ESPN

Most of the baseball world thinks the A-Rod deal is a bad one. And that includes the Yankees.

As I stated a couple of years ago when people were speculating that Pujols might receive $50 million per year on the open market, you cannot always base one player's salary on another players salary.

Time will tell, but there are certainly a lot better ways to spend $50 million a year...and even $27.5 million a year...than on one guy, even if he is the best hitter in baseball.

Sandra

Most of the baseball world thinks the A-Rod deal is a bad one. And that includes the Yankees.

A-Rod turns 36 in July. He is under contract to get $175 million in salary plus $30 million in reachable home run bonuses over the next seven seasons, at the end of which, he will be 42.

In the past three seasons, he missed 24, 38 and 25 games while hitting .302, .286 and .270. and his runs scored wouldn't have extrapolated to 100 per season even if he had played every game in 2009 and 2010. The likelihood of the Yankees getting their moneys worth out of him over the remainder of his contract seems nil.

A-Rod turns 36 in July. He is under contract to get $175 million in salary plus $30 million in reachable home run bonuses over the next seven seasons, at the end of which, he will be 42.

In the past three seasons, he missed 24, 38 and 25 games while hitting .302, .286 and .270. and his runs scored wouldn't have extrapolated to 100 per season even if he had played every game in 2009 and 2010. The likelihood of the Yankees getting their moneys worth out of him over the remainder of his contract seems nil.

What the Yankees THOUGHT they were paying for at the time was the marketing of A-Rod's assault on the all-time home run record. That was going to be huge, and the financial benefits would have made $175 million seem like a bargain for the Yankees.

But A-Rod's steroids admission means overtaking Ruth and Bonds will certainly not be the same.

Sandra

As I stated a couple of years ago when people were speculating that Pujols might receive $50 million per year on the open market, you cannot always base one player's salary on another players salary.

Time will tell, but there are certainly a lot better ways to spend $50 million a year...and even $27.5 million a year...than on one guy, even if he is the best hitter in baseball.

Sandra

Either way you look at it....St. Louis is in a bad spot. IF they REALLY wanna keep him, they are gonna have to pay up. There is no two ways about it. IF they don't, they are gonna have tell the fans that 'hey, it does not make fiscal sense to sign him to that much' ....they are in a lose-lose situation, the Cards.

Either way you look at it....St. Louis is in a bad spot. IF they REALLY wanna keep him, they are gonna have to pay up. There is no two ways about it. IF they don't, they are gonna have tell the fans that 'hey, it does not make fiscal sense to sign him to that much' ....they are in a lose-lose situation, the Cards.

Do not disagree, but I don't really care about the St Louis side of it. My comment was that nobody can say A-Rod gets 'x', so Pujols should get 'x'...or 'y'. Doesn't work that way.

Sandra

Last edited:
Do not disagree, but I don't really care about the St Louis side of it. My comment was that nobody can say A-Rod gets 'x', so Pujols should get 'y'. Doesn't work that way.

Sandra

Oh GOD.....:rolleyes:

A-Rod is getting "the best player in baseball" money. And Pujols is a better, more complete player than A-Rod is....and YOUNGER....and so far, CLEANER. So why can't I say that because A-Rod gets an obscene amount of money, that Pujols does not deserve the same? It is not the markets fault the Yankees decided to give A-Rod a contract that his production will not live up to...

Pujols agent WILL use it....I don't doubt that one bit....

Last edited:
What the Yankees THOUGHT they were paying for at the time was the marketing of A-Rod's assault on the all-time home run record. That was going to be huge, and the financial benefits would have made $175 million seem like a bargain for the Yankees.

But A-Rod's steroids admission means overtaking Ruth and Bonds will certainly not be the same.

Sandra

Guess you didn't read this.

Sandra

Guess you didn't read this.

Sandra

I did and that has nothing to do with the fact that Pujols is considered the best player in the game right now. And IF you don't think for one second that his agent will not bring up A-Rod's contract with the Yanks...then I don't know what to tell you. Pujols and his agent are looking for a similar contract in $$$...as in AT LEAST 28 million PLUS a year.

I did and that has nothing to do with the fact that Pujols is considered the best player in the game right now. And IF you don't think for one second that his agent will not bring up A-Rod's contract with the Yanks...then I don't know what to tell you. Pujols and his agent are looking for a similar contract in $$$...as in AT LEAST 28 million PLUS a year.

Pujols's agent can bring up anything he wants. That's a negotiating tactic.

The truth is, Pujols is worth what someone is willing to pay him, and not one penny more. Will someone pay him $28 million? He's a lot better hitter than A-Rod, why doesn't someone pay him $40 million per year? Because it's supply and demand, not compare and contrast.

You gotta wonder who besides St Louis will pay him even $28 million per year. Not the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies, the biggest spenders right now...they're all set at first base for quite a while. Not the Mets, they're still wondering how the Wilponzi thing is going to work out, and they like Ike Davis, and he's cheap...still on his first contract. The Angels? The Cubs? The list is very small.

AND you also have Prince Fielder becoming a free agent at the end of the year too. Teams may be able to get a very good hitting first baseman without paying into the stratosphere.

Sandra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)