MLB 2011 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pujols's agent can bring up anything he wants. That's a negotiating tactic.

The truth is, Pujols is worth what someone is willing to pay him, and not one penny more. Will someone pay him $28 million? He's a lot better hitter than A-Rod, why doesn't someone pay him $40 million per year? Because it's supply and demand, not compare and contrast.

You gotta wonder who besides St Louis will pay him even $28 million per year. Not the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies, the biggest spenders right now...they're all set at first base for quite a while. Not the Mets, they're still wondering how the Wilponzi thing is going to work out, and they like Ike Davis, and he's cheap...still on his first contract. The Angels? The Cubs? The list is very small.

AND you also have Prince Fielder becoming a free agent at the end of the year too. Teams may be able to get a very good hitting first baseman without paying into the stratosphere.

Sandra

I've heard the Cub's but don't really expect them to pull it off.

Price Fielder's contract will be in a ballpark in a slightly different zip code, but it will be HUGE regardless.

I am predicting Albert signs for 5 years ... $28 million. I think those days of contracts above 5 or 6 years are over.
He's allegedly 31. How can you sign an NL player that currently has a back issue into his 40's??

Here are the year-by-year numbers of players age 36 and older who played 100 games in the field and put up an OPS of at least .728:

2004: 12

2005: 7

2006: 8

2007: 9

2008: 9

2009: 5

2010: 3

If you raise the minimum age to 37, you're left with Ibañez as the only older player who played defense and provided even a mediocre OPS in 2010.

This is what the Cardinals are up against: Can they afford to pay Pujols $28 million to $30 million at ages 39, 40 and 41, especially when they don't have the escape hatch of the DH position? Good luck with that.

Biggest obstacle in Albert Pujols contract talks with Cardinals - Tom Verducci - SI.com

I would tell Albert to hit the road if he won't budge on the 10 years thing.

God oh mighty, they just showed the Phillies rotation....that is the scariest starting rotation I have seen in a VERY long time.....

Definitely rivals the great Braves pitching staffs from when I was little. I would worry about Brad Lidge as the closer though. Doesn't matter so much with Halladay, but the rest of them need a closer. Giants/Phillies seven game series can be epic...two teams with four good starters.

Sandra

Definitely rivals the great Braves pitching staffs from when I was little. I would worry about Brad Lidge as the closer though. Doesn't matter so much with Halladay, but the rest of them need a closer. Giants/Phillies seven game series can be epic...two teams with four good starters.

Sandra

I agree. Lidge is really the only real somewhat unreliable link to the entire pitching staff. One minute, he looks like a monster closer....next minute, he is giving up monster home runs to blow them...

I agree. Lidge is really the only real somewhat unreliable link to the entire pitching staff. One minute, he looks like a monster closer....next minute, he is giving up monster home runs to blow them...

The Phillies' hitting also went south for LOOOOOONG stretches last year, and that was with Jayson Werth. This isn't fantasy baseball, let's not be handing them the pennant just yet. Injuries, slumps, Charlie Manuel, etc., can all happen.

Sandra

That is why I highly believe those long term deals for more than 5 years are of the past. 28 mil per year for 5 years.....that is the max I would offer. When the contract is over, re-evaluate.
The St. Louis Cardinals have made a spirited last-ditch effort to sign Albert Pujols before his self-imposed noon deadline Wednesday, offering him an eight-year contract believed to be worth in excess of $200 million, people familiar with the talks told SI.com.
Earlier, I was joking about this, but it looks like Albert's agent tried:

While the main goal for Pujols was always to top A-Rod, Pujols' agent Dan Lozano at one point in the negotiation with the Cardinals proposed that part of a deal include a piece of the storied team for Pujols, which would have made Pujols a player/part owner, in just one of the attempts by either side that still appears to be going nowhere.

St. Louis Cardinals offer Albert Pujols more than $200 million over eight years - Jon Heyman - SI.com

That is why I highly believe those long term deals for more than 5 years are of the past. 28 mil per year for 5 years.....that is the max I would offer. When the contract is over, re-evaluate.

I think you guys are about right with what it will eventually end up being.
I think what they are really trying to do is beat A-Rods amount of money per year, what was that 26-27M ?

I would offer 5 years and go up to 7, 8 tops.

I am predicting he signs with the Cards, 5 years....$150 million. IF he does not, it will EITHER be the Cubs, Nationals, Angels or .....batting 4th in the NEW Marlins stadium....Albert Pujols...!

I am predicting he signs with the Cards, 5 years....$150 million. IF he does not, it will EITHER be the Cubs, Nationals, Angels or .....batting 4th in the NEW Marlins stadium....Albert Pujols...!

LOL and the Marlins' payroll doubles overnight!

Sandra

Nope. It would be around a third....from $55 mill to $85 mill. And I would GUARAN-damn-TEE it would sellout with Albert Pujols.

Pretty sure any team would sell it if it brought in Albert Pujols. Heck, lots of teams have sellouts WITHOUT Albert Pujols.

Sandra

Pretty sure any team would sell it if it brought in Albert Pujols. Heck, lots of teams have sellouts WITHOUT Albert Pujols.

Sandra

I think the only team to sell out all their games is the Cubs. Right?

I think the only team to sell out all their games is the Cubs. Right?

Yeah....more or less. As long as it is sunny and 60 degrees...regardless of their record and who they play....they have sold out from what I remember. AND the Red Sox I think too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)