MLB 2012-13 off-season notes & transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napoli's contract boundries were revealed today. He gets $5 million guaranteed, and can improve it to $13 million based on at bats and active roster days. More than fair for the Red Sox. If he earns $13 million, then they'll still have the inside track at going a year at a time like they have with ortiz.

The Dodgers are leaving FOX and joining Time Warner to have their own channel!!!!!! This is HUGE news...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-time-warner-20130122,0,471512.story

Wow this really needs to stop. We really don't need a separate RSN for every individual pro team. Fox Sports Detroit and its overflow channel seem to get every Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings game televised just fine and it probably costs less than the Lakers and Dodgers channels do with coverage of just one team. Yes the LA market is bigger than Detroit but FS Detroit had the highest ratings in the MLB last year, the Red Wings are extremely popular, and the Pistons do well when they are winning. I'm all for RSN coverage and I don't like the stance Dish tends to take against them but you can bet Dish customers won't be getting the Dodgers anymore. I can see LA having a couple RSNs because they have so many teams but this is getting unreasonable.

All that being said, if it were my team I would be raising hell until it was carried or I would switch providers. Hopefully you Directv guys like Dodgerking still get your team this spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
The dodgers are still on FSN this coming season. The new deal doesn't start until 2014

The Dodgers will actually own this channel and the programming on it. TWC will just run it.

This is the largest single team TV deal in all of sports. Over $350,000,000 per year.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Sadly, this signals that the final game of the upcoming season (which usually is on the Dodger's OTA network) will be the final time a Dodger game can be seen for "free". That even pre-dates Vinny. Once they move to TWC, all games will be broadcast exclusively on that network. Times passes. Things change.

Sadly, this signals that the final game of the upcoming season (which usually is on the Dodger's OTA network) will be the final time a Dodger game can be seen for "free". That even pre-dates Vinny. Once they move to TWC, all games will be broadcast exclusively on that network. Times passes. Things change.

This is why baseball has done an absolutely TERRIBLE job in marketing their sport. There is so little of baseball that is on regular OTA networks that it is not reaching inner city youth. SO little of the games are in the afternoon, that many times, especially for the east coast, those really good teams and players are not seen by east coast youth.

I give Jim Joyce a lot of credit ... (he's the one that missed the call on the No Hitter) on the play at 1b.

He came out and admitted he missed the call and I think earned a lot of respect for it.

Gallaraga also handled the situation very well considering the situation.

I just heard the trade on MLB radio on XM.

Delmon Young got picked on Philadelphia for a 1-year contract at 750K. Chump change for the ALCS MVP. Of course, there are provisions in contract which enable him to earn at additional 2.75M in bonuses...the most notable being a fat body clause. I kinda liked Delmon (and he always come through in the post season for us) but he runs and fields like he has is wearing shackles. I wish him well...

I give Jim Joyce a lot of credit ... (he's the one that missed the call on the No Hitter) on the play at 1b.

He came out and admitted he missed the call and I think earned a lot of respect for it.

Gallaraga also handled the situation very well considering the situation.

Yep, I gave Jim Joyce a lot of credit for admitting he blew the call...right up to the point where he started crying like a little baby. Every ump knows there's NO CRYING in baseball. Didn't he see the Tom Hanks movie?

I was listening to MLB radio and they said the Reds were one of their top 3 teams in the NL right now.

Just when you tried to think of another way Carl Pavano could be injured....

Free-agent pitcher Carl Pavano recently suffered a ruptured spleen that will sideline him for six to eight weeks, according to a report by FoxSports.com.

Pavano, 37, was injured when he slipped and fell while shoveling snow in his driveway at his home in Vermont, a source told the website.

Report: Carl Pavano ruptures spleen

Rule Change! Third-to-first fake pickoff is now officially a balk

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...rst-fake-pickoff-move-now-033809715--mlb.html

a funny line from the article
Under a rule change imposed by Major League Baseball for this season, pitchers can no longer fake a pickoff throw to third base. Pitchers who did this would almost always follow by wheeling and firing to first — or to second, if a duped runner had taken off in that direction. No more.

The play is now part of baseball’s graveyard, like the bullpen cart, the Montreal Expos, pullover jerseys and World Series games in the sunshine. It simply did not work often enough to be worth the wasted time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts