MLB 2012 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
First Weekend of Baseball and for the Local teams.. L.A Dodgers looked and played a lot better then the "Highly Anticipated" L.A Angels of Anaheim.

Dodgers 3-1
Angels 1-2

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Under the heading of "It's Early in the Season":

How about them Mets? I don't think anyone (even their staunchest fans) expected this incredible start from a team on which everyone has already written the Post Mortem. Right now they are fun to watch.

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
Red Sox are 1-5. Must be Terry Fancona's fault, oh wait never mind

I am not blaming this on Bobby Valentine, I'm blaming it on the "savior" in Chicago and Luchino's puppet Cherrington.

I'll take Pedrioa, Lester, Elsbury, possibly Gonzales and Ortiz. To hell with the rest of them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Red Sox are 1-5. Must be Terry Fancona's fault, oh wait never mind

I am not blaming this on Bobby Valentine, I'm blaming it on the "savior" in Chicago and Luchino's puppet Cherrington.

I'll take Pedrioa, Lester, Elsbury, possibly Gonzales and Ortiz. To hell with the rest of them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I endorse EVERYTHING you said here X1,000!!!

It makes me ill that Epstein got a golden parachute to Chicago, and Tito was thrown out like yesterday's garbage. I also don't blame Bobby V., he inherited this flotsam and jetsam!

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
cybok0 said:
I'm watching the pirates vs dodgers game, where are all the fans in this big market city?

Wednesday night vs the Pirates after it rained all day, this us what they always draw under those circumstances. Yesterday afternoon they had 56,000. They have 29,729 tonight, among the top of the night. Many just didn't show up because of the weather, time, and commute.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
And yet the Red Sox, Cubs and Yankees sell out every game and they show up.
The Dodgers, with the exception of last year because of the protest, draw more total fans than the teams you just listed most years and will draw more than most of them this year.

Keep in mind that most stadiums only hold to 30,000 to 40,000+ thousand. If Dodgers stadium was the size of those other stadiums, they too will sell out every game and last nights game would have been almost capacity. And since Dodger stadium seats are brightly colored you will notice the empty seats more so than other stadiums

You also got to realize that the west coast is different. Everything on the west coast occurs much earlier and is much more spread out (particularly LA). This is not an excuse, it is just the reality. People on the west coast go to bed earlier and wake up much earlier so it is much more difficult for them to go to a game that ends at 10pm, take another 2 hours to get home after that, and then have to wake up at 4am or 5am.

Also, people in LA are whimps when it comes to rain. :D

Unlike other cities, very few people live in downtown LA. Most have to commute anywhere from 30 minutes to 120 minutes to get to downtown LA as most of the population is in West LA, the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Orange County, or the Inland Empire. Even within the LA city limits most live in the San Fernando Valley and it can take them a good 2 hours to get home after the game (It takes over an hour just to get out of the parking lot). So it is very difficult for people to attend midweek night games. When they are playing a team that nobody gives a damn about (like the Pirates), not too many are motivated to go through the hassle of attending the game when it is much easier to stay home and watch it on TV.

If it was an afternoon game, they were playing another team, and/or not midweek, they would have drawn a lot more.

Look, the Dodgers were the first team to draw 3 million and did so for 5 years before any other team, have drawn 3 million fans more often than any other team, are usually #1 in NL attendance, and have drawn more total fans through their history than any team in any sport. They have already sold 3 million tickets this year and the season just started. I will bet you that with the new ownership and if they build an exciting team for next year, they will draw 4 million next year.

Last edited:

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No offense to anyone, but on the second home game of the year it is pretty tough to get fired up enough to go out after a long day at work, sit in the cold (for L.A. last night was COLD!) and watch...The PIRATES????? That's why God invented TV!

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Josh Johnson looked terrible on the mound in Philly last night. I wonder if he will ever regain his stuff. Miami is riding on his rather impressive shoulders...he'd better do it!

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 28, 2005
Strasmas came early this year: 6 innings, 108 pitches, 2 hits, 9 strikeouts, no runs versus Mets. ERA now 0.69. Can you give the Cy Young award to a guy whose season ends this August when he has reached his 160 inning limit?

The Red Sox don't seem to have a lot of player value on the field considering that they have about a $180,000,000 or so payroll.

Re: Terry Francona, Yogi Berra wouldn't attend Yankee reunions for the longest time, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)