MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

There is speculation that the Tigers may try to trade Prince Fielder ...

Max Scherzer as well as Ric Porcello could also be shopped.

My take, No ones gonna take Prince and his contract, Tigers will have to pay quite a bit to do a deal.

IF someone does take Prince's contract, that allows Miggy to go back over to 1b.

I've heard alot of difference scenarios so far for Prince.

1. Prince to the Rockies, Tulo to the Cards and something to the Tigers, never did hear any names coming freom the St. Louis side of things ... you'd think the Tigers should get something of value.

Another one was, Prince to the Red Sox, Middlebrooks to Detroit and others.

All speculation of course.

Another one was, Prince to the Red Sox, Middlebrooks to Detroit and others.

That will be a big NO THANK YOU!!!

And if the Tigers want other teams to consider Fielder in a trade, they will either have to fund a HUGE portion of his hefty salary or don't expect much in return. It's either one or the other.

That will be a big NO THANK YOU!!!

And if the Tigers want other teams to consider Fielder in a trade, they will either have to fund a HUGE portion of his hefty salary or don't expect much in return. It's either one or the other.

I agree entirely, just thought I'd pass it along.
Yes, the degree that the Tigers would have to pay is directly related to who is coming back.
I highly doubt that a deal with the Sox would happen, but ya gotta think, if Nappoli doesnt resign. ...

Id like to see him go to a NL team and expect IF he gets traded that, thats where it would be.
Also, if he were traded, then the Tigers have a HUGE hole in the #4 spot.
I Dont want Cabrera moved back to the 4 spot.

We saw enough of the postseason Fielder to know we don't want him or his huge contract. If Napoli doesn't re-sign, there are many other options....

The Red Sox had more than their share of beached whales playing their declining years at first base, DH and in right field in the 1970s and 1980s, but they have moved beyond that era and are unlikely to attempt to reprise it.

Robinson Cano (31years old, 9 season. avg: 22 hr/91RBI/.309) wants 10 years/30 million.

Past 2-3 years MLB, IMO, has seen these big contracts bit 'em in the arse and I believe these long/high contracts are now over.
How many times have we seen Arod disappear in the playoffs? Also, how productive can a 41 year old be, especially being paid 30mil/season. Cal Ripken has a good year at 41 but not for that price.

Kudos to Cano's "people" for making him think he's worth that but for all-star, not stella, like numbers.. 30 million is more than a stretch.

Cheers, K

There are now more teams willing to carry big payrolls. I went back and looked at the payrolls in 2004 and 2005, when the Red Sox won their first recent world series and the next year, and back then, the Yankees had averaged $200 million for four years, but the Red Sox 2004 payroll of $124 million was the highest non-Yankee payroll in history, and their 2005 payroll of $122 million was the second highest. In those years, typically only one other team even exceeded $110 million and all the rest were well below that. Now, the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers and Phillies believe they need to have $190 + payrolls (luxury tax level) to satisfy their market situations, and the Mets, Tigers, and Rangers believe it is worth moving into that stratosphere when their team development cycle warrants it, and the White Sox and Cubs could justify lurching up to that level under certain circumstances.

Last edited:
A salary cap is definetely needed here to level out the field of play (PUN). There's a big gab between these big market teams and small market "Royals, Rays etc" that the playof picture is pretty much determined by April 5th.

Probably the biggest opponent to a Salary Cap is Loria out of fear it would impose a salary floor.

Cheers, K

A salary cap is definetely needed here to level out the field of play (PUN). There's a big gab between these big market teams and small market "Royals, Rays etc" that the playof picture is pretty much determined by April 5th.

Probably the biggest opponent to a Salary Cap is Loria out of fear it would impose a salary floor.

Cheers, K

Really ?

TB made the playoffs a few years ago, the Pirates made the playoffs this year, Oakland has made the playoffs the last few years ... all are smaller market teams.

Yes, there is a big gap between them, but that doesn't mean they can't make the playoffs.

Small market teams can and do makes the playoffs because they draft smart, build well and have great coaching. After a playoff appearance or two, their good players sign with big market teams and its back to zero. Whereas Texas, Boston, LA, NY, Altanta, Detroit are typically in the playoffs each year because they sign big.

Cheers, K

Detroit Tigers to Trade Prince Fielder to the Texas rangers for Ian Kinsler.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...xas-rangers-ian-kinsler?ex_cid=espnapi_public

My take,
This is a good move for the Tigers, They unload Princes huge contract, Kinsler will play 2b, Cabrera will move back to 1B and more than likely, Omar Infante will leave via Free Agency.

This should free up money to, potentially resign Max Scherzer, possibly get a LF'er as well.

Detroit Tigers to Trade Prince Fielder to the Texas rangers for Ian Kinsler.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...xas-rangers-ian-kinsler?ex_cid=espnapi_public

My take,
This is a good move for the Tigers, They unload Princes huge contract, Kinsler will play 2b, Cabrera will move back to 1B and more than likely, Omar Infante will leave via Free Agency.

This should free up money to, potentially resign Max Scherzer, possibly get a LF'er as well.

This also opens a spot potentially for Stud minor leaguer Nick Castellonios to play 3b, his natural position. (Tigers were trying to get him to play the outfield.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)