MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

Detroit Tigers to Trade Prince Fielder to the Texas rangers for Ian Kinsler.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10008050/detroit-tigers-agree-trade-prince-fielder-texas-rangers-ian-kinsler?ex_cid=espnapi_public

My take,
This is a good move for the Tigers, They unload Princes huge contract, Kinsler will play 2b, Cabrera will move back to 1B and more than likely, Omar Infante will leave via Free Agency.

This should free up money to, potentially resign Max Scherzer, possibly get a LF'er as well.

Even though Prince didn't perform as well as past seasons, he still put up better numbers than Kinsler. Who's going to bat cleanup and protect Cabrera. Now Miggy will seldom see pitches to hit.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Even though Prince didn't perform as well as past seasons, he still put up better numbers than Kinsler. Who's going to bat cleanup and protect Cabrera. Now Miggy will seldom see pitches to hit.

Victor Martinez will continue to hit behind Cabrera, like they did before Prince got here.

I think Prince's attitude after losing to the Red Sox may have had something to do with them listening to offers for Prince.

Prince basically said, Oh well to the Tigers losing in the Post Season, and said something like, if they can do better ...

Detroit is sending TX $30 million

I guess $30M when he's owed 168, isn't too bad.

Like I said, this will free up cash for the Tigers to resign Scherzer and probably Cabrera as well ... been seeing comments from Cabrera that he would be interested in signing an extension lately.

Prince will probably perform much better in TX. It is a much more hitter friendly park and TX has more power depth to protect Fielder.

Where does Kinsler typically hit in the line up ?

1st or 2nd most often. But he didn't steal much and had a low on base percentage for a lead off guy. He is more of a 7 or 8 place hitter.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Hmmm, we got plenty of 7-8-9 hitters already.
He'll probably bat 2nd for the Tigers. He is a descent #2 hitter. He makes contact, has some pop, and some speed. Good for second, but not good enough for lead off.

He averages about 25 SB per year, last year 15. Speed is something the Tigers lacked, and although he is not a big base stealer, he is a speed upgrade for your team. He will be valuable in that aspect. His OBP is too low for a lead off guy as well. His OBP is about .340. You want your lead off guy to have an OBP closer to .400.

Ideally, these are the numbers for a 7 or 8 place hitter.

He'll probably bat 2nd for the Tigers. He is a descent #2 hitter. He averages about 25 SB per year, last year 15. Speed is something the Tigers lacked, and although he is not a big base stealer, he is a speed upgrade for your team. He will be valuable in that aspect. His OBP is too low for a lead off guy as well. His OBP is about .340. You want your lead off guy to have an OBP closer to .400.

This year Torii hit 2nd, I'm wondering if Asmus is going to leave Cabrera at 3 or move him back to the 4 hole ... I much prefer him in the 3 hole.

Heres wondering if Dombrowski has a power hitting LF'er in mind he's looking for, it would be nice to get a solid hitting outfielder.

This year Torii hit 2nd, I'm wondering if Asmus is going to leave Cabrera at 3 or move him back to the 4 hole ... I much prefer him in the 3 hole.

Heres wondering if Dombrowski has a power hitting LF'er in mind he's looking for, it would be nice to get a solid hitting outfielder.
In that case he may bat lead off because he is the best they have for that spot in the lineup, even though he is not an ideal lead off guy.

Many teams get buy without an ideal lead off guy. The Dodgers and Rangers did not have a good lead off guy.

In that case he may bat lead off because he is the best they have for that spot in the lineup, even though he is not an ideal lead off guy.

Many teams get buy without an ideal lead off guy. The Dodgers and Rangers did not have a good lead off guy.

Is he a contact hitter, or a Strike out waiting to happen ?