MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

Kershaw is also the best pitcher in history through 1,000 IP.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

BeE2g17CEAAZmFZ.png:large

If he isn't worth the money, then no pitcher is, but from a risk standpoint, I'm not sure that any pitcher is.

In addition to the contract, the Dodgers must be paying for a huge insurance policy, but I doubt that such policies cover for injuries or deterioration that simply reduce a pitcher's effectiveness while not ending his career. Dwight Gooden went 132-54 through age 26 and continued to pitch through age 35, going only 62-58 over the remainder of his career. Similarly, Fernando Valenzuela went 113-82 through age 26 but only 60-71 over the next decade and Via Blue was 142-96 through 28 but only 67-65 in his eight remaining years. I first heard of that concern when someone writing on basketball mentioned the problem created by what he called a "Ralph Sampson injury". He could no longer be the player he was being paid to be, but he was still a capable player, so the insurance wasn't collectable.

IMO, the top three lefties in baseball are Felix Hernandez, Kershaw and Price, so that's quite a discrepancy in the two contracts.

Hernandez is a rightie. Did you mean Lester? Because you know he's getting 20-25 Mil/Yr in his next deal with the bar set so high now.

Hernandez is a rightie. Did you mean Lester? Because you know he's getting 20-25 Mil/Yr in his next deal with the bar set so high now.

Oops on two fronts: I meant to say starter, but more importantly I somehow forgot about Justin Verlander (who I would put in front of Price). :eek:

ESPN has sent out a press release revealing its “Sunday Night Baseball” matchups through July 20. Insert your “____ coast bias!” comments below: screen-shot-2014-01-15-at-11-13-14-am.png Just eyeballing it, the biggest oversights I see are no games involving either the Washington Nationals — who should be a strong contender and who have exciting young players like Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg – and no Texas Rangers or Oakland A’s, who should be the top two contenders in a loaded AL West. But what do I know? http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...or-the-first-half/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts