MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

Dodgers sign Paul Maholm. He will be competing for the #5 spot with Beckett and Billingsley. The other two or one will be a long reliever and/or released or traded.

Tanaka's trip from Japan to the U.S. is pretty interesting:

Japanese baseball sensation Masahiro Tanaka chartered his own Boeing 787 Dreamliner to fly him to New York, with the entire plane taken up by his five-strong party and his pet dog.

The ace pitcher, who has just signed a seven-year MLB deal worth $US155 million ($A173.6 million) with the New York Yankees, is believed to have splashed out $US195,000 ($A218,000) of his own money on the one-way flight.

"It's a (chartered) private jet. It's not something the Yankees have prepared," he told reporters at Narita Airport near Tokyo on Sunday.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/10/japan-mlb-star-dog-787-charter-us

Personally, I think its about the Yankees making headlines as usual. He could have all the nice planes, trains and automobiles he wants but if he starts out 0-4 or 1-8, those things wont save him.

He embodies what an MLB player should be. Very clutch and very classy. I will say I'm not ready for the "Derek Jeter Retirement Tour" all season.

Leave it to the NY Daily News:

BgXWaNtIUAAd_pW.jpg

Another theory on Dempster: he was battling a neck injury, and he more than likely would have been the odd man out of the six starters. IMO, Lester-Buchholz-Lackey-Peavy-Doubront were all ahead of Dempster heading into Fort Myers. No matter what the reason, he did walk away from a LOT of money.

Gotta wonder if the Red Sox strongly suggested this ... Maybe he'll be back later in the year if they are struggling in the rotation.
“I’m just looking at the 2014 season and know that I won’t be playing this year,” he said. “If something changes then obviously something changes. I don’t see that changing anywhere in the future but I also don’t want to close the door on that. … If this is the end, what a great way to go out.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that his daughter has been ailing, but I don't know if that played a part in his decision. Either way, Ryan is a class act and I wish him and his family well. It's not every day that you hear of an athlete just walk away from $13 MIL.

Here's wondering if he has pitched his last game ... with his age and all, ya never know, particularly if it is family related.

As far a Star players walking away for family .... Chris Spielman always comes to mind when something like this comes up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts