MLB 2021 Season

Perusing my favorite website earlier, and I found this on Baseball Reference. Patriots Day (Boston Marathon Monday) 1974- my first MLB game in person. I was 8 years old and I can still remember walking up the ramp on the third base side and seeing the beautiful Fenway green for the first time. Local guy, Joe Coleman pitched a shutout for the Tigers in a pitching duel against Reggie Cleveland. Note the time of game.

IMG_6867.JPG

Perusing my favorite website earlier, and I found this on Baseball Reference. Patriots Day (Boston Marathon Monday) 1974- my first MLB game in person. I was 8 years old and I can still remember walking up the ramp on the third base side and seeing the beautiful Fenway green for the first time. Local guy, Joe Coleman pitched a shutout for the Tigers in a pitching duel against Reggie Cleveland. Note the time of game.

View attachment 154192
I remember Those Tigers .... and Joe Coleman.

I too remember being young .... and walking up the ramp to see the beautiful green grass at Tigers stadium.
Also, it was just as nice going into Riverfront back then ... (family vacations we went to see Reds games for awhile)

Reactions: BillD1984
I still can't believe that baseball has turned into a sport where your best pitcher is not allowed to pitch more than 5 or 6 innings anymore.
Eovaldi pitching great, only gave up 1 run and is pulled in the 5th inning ....

Previous pitching greats are rolling over in thier graves. (those that have passed on already)

What happened to all those great pitchers that use to pitch 8-9 innings a game, first they started to get pushed out by a pitcher that had to be designated to pitch the 9th ....
Then they started a "Set Up" man for the 8th.

Now its even worse, half the time the Rays start a reliever.

Give me old time baseball back ...

This one stat pretty much encapsulates the balance of this series

View attachment 154215
Alvarez has been a rising star between last year and this ... unfortunately he's missed a lot of time due to having very bad knees.
When he gets HOT, he's Really Hot ...
Watching him play so far has been fun when he's played.

Bill, not saying that he's emulating him, but when I see him in the batters box he reminds me very much of Big Papi, Big guy with a Big bat and clutch most of the time.

It's been fun to watch him grow.

I still can't believe that baseball has turned into a sport where your best pitcher is not allowed to pitch more than 5 or 6 innings anymore.
Eovaldi pitching great, only gave up 1 run and is pulled in the 5th inning ....

Previous pitching greats are rolling over in thier graves. (those that have passed on already)

What happened to all those great pitchers that use to pitch 8-9 innings a game, first they started to get pushed out by a pitcher that had to be designated to pitch the 9th ....
Then they started a "Set Up" man for the 8th.

Now its even worse, half the time the Rays start a reliever.

Give me old time baseball back ...
In all honesty, pitching to day is nothing like 20 years ago, and very different from 50 years ago!...In the day you had a fastball, maybe a knuckle baller, and a curve, and a change up.....Now the pressure to have 4 or 5 pitches, the load now on the wrist, elbow, and shoulder.....

Just look at the injuries, and alot has to do what they did when they were young...Now with travel kids can play 70 or 80 games, not a 25 game rec ball league..... So much has changed, and probably will continue to change?

Alvarez has been a rising star between last year and this ... unfortunately he's missed a lot of time due to having very bad knees.
When he gets HOT, he's Really Hot ...
Watching him play so far has been fun when he's played.

Bill, not saying that he's emulating him, but when I see him in the batters box he reminds me very much of Big Papi, Big guy with a Big bat and clutch most of the time.

It's been fun to watch him grow.

I said the same thing Jimbo

Of course I’m disappointed by the end of the Red Sox season, but truth be told they far exceeded expectations this season (of course winning 4 World Series since 2004 lessens the sting ). Looking ahead to next season, I’m very excited about them being a contender out of the gate. Young studs Tanner Houck and Garrett Whitlock could be added to the starting rotation. With Nathan Eovaldi and Chris Sale getting stronger, the Red Sox have the potential to have an electrifying starting rotation. If prospect Connor Seabold continues to show progress, he could be the #5 starter. The bullpen needs a complete overhaul, but I’m hoping the Sox give Nick Pivetta a shot at the closers role. He definitely has the stuff and makeup to be a closer. The player I want the Sox to go after in free agency is Marcus Semien. Arroyo is a good little ballplayer, but he isn’t exactly durable. He would be a nice depth piece (something the Red Sox seriously need). Hopefully Bobby Dalbec continues to develop to become the everyday first baseman. Finally the Sox have to decide what to do with their DH logjam. Who will they keep, JD Martinez or Kyle Schwarber?

Last edited:
The problem is they pick each other off. Or all feast on Baltimore.

True, but the division still managed to have a 100 win team and four 90 win teams (first time since MLB went to 3 divisions in each league). Without deep diving the stats, that tells me that the AL East generally feasted in interleague and intraleague games.

Latest pivotal vote on Oakland's effort to keep the Athletics in Oakland is today.

Rooted in Oakland or leaving for Las Vegas? Clues come Tuesday
Alameda County Board of Supervisors To Take Key Vote On Oakland A's Waterfront Ballpark

"I believe this vote has been the largest unknown in this entire period," Schaaf said, adding, "but without certainty of the county's participation, we cannot craft a complete development agreement and that is the biggest job ahead of us."​

This is all part of the term sheet the city created themselves as a version of what the Athletics wanted, and they could find themselves without anything viable if Alameda passes.

Is a deal possible if the county does not take part?

"It is not. No, not the one that was proposed by the city. It depends on the county and that's a critical component of the funding," team President Dave Kaval told me on August 30.​

Agenda indicates it will be the 3rd item discussed for possible action after 12pm PST (pg 17).

Latest pivotal vote on Oakland's effort to keep the Athletics in Oakland is today.

Rooted in Oakland or leaving for Las Vegas? Clues come Tuesday
Alameda County Board of Supervisors To Take Key Vote On Oakland A's Waterfront Ballpark

"I believe this vote has been the largest unknown in this entire period," Schaaf said, adding, "but without certainty of the county's participation, we cannot craft a complete development agreement and that is the biggest job ahead of us."​

This is all part of the term sheet the city created themselves as a version of what the Athletics wanted, and they could find themselves without anything viable if Alameda passes.

Is a deal possible if the county does not take part?​
"It is not. No, not the one that was proposed by the city. It depends on the county and that's a critical component of the funding," team President Dave Kaval told me on August 30.​

Agenda indicates it will be the 3rd item discussed for possible action after 12pm PST (pg 17).
If MLB baseball allows them to Vegas, then you better forgive those great players for gambling, and or accused of gambling!.....And put some in the Hall of Fame like they deserve!

If MLB baseball allows them to Vegas, then you better forgive those great players for gambling, and or accused of gambling!.....And put some in the Hall of Fame like they deserve!

Why would that be the impetus for that? You can gamble in far more places than Vegas now.

Reactions: Jimbo
Why would that be the impetus for that? You can gamble in far more places than Vegas now.
Baseball has been jerks to owners who have had dogs, and horse racing( exception Stienbrenner).
If some great ball players arnt allowed in the HOF, then why will you allow a team to play in the city were it is legal?....Its hypocrisy at its best!
Why isnt Pete Rose in the hall?
Denny McLain?
Shoeless Joe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)