MLB 2023 Season

The American East looks to be competitive again with Baltimore no longer a basement dweller. Does that distinction now belong to the Red Sox or can they turn it around. I’d still call the Yankees the favorite but can they have another breakout start like last year. Judge is signed so no drama there. Will he have another record year or cool off a bit.

Reactions: Clarbear
Let’s just call the hot stove extinguished. Spring training is weeks away. Here is a new thread for 2023.
Pitchers and catchers report next Tuesday!
cincinnati reds sigh GIF by MLB

Reactions: Don in CT
Lets all remember ...
Baseball as we've known it for all these years .... is GONE ...

We now have a bunch of new Rules, in the name of getting home 20 minutes earlier.

Here you all go, with the NEW MLB Rules .

Read thru these as there will be plenty of discussions about them, I am sure.

• Angry
Reactions: madmadworld
Lets all remember ...
Baseball as we've known it for all these years .... is GONE ...

We now have a bunch of new Rules, in the name of getting home 20 minutes earlier.

Here you all go, with the NEW MLB Rules .

Read thru these as there will be plenty of discussions about them, I am sure.
If it picks up the pace of play I’m all for it.

• Sad
Reactions: madmadworld
If it picks up the pace of play I’m all for it.
I see some good and some bad, and some Confusion.

Confusion in the "Shift Restrictions"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can infielders switch sides?
No. So if the shortstop is the team’s best defender, he cannot switch spots with the second baseman against a batter more likely to hit the ball to that side of second base.

Can an outfielder play in the infield as a fifth defender?
Yes, a team can take a bigger risk of the batter hitting the ball the other way to a more open expanse in the outfield.

What is the penalty for failure to comply with the shift restrictions?
An automatic ball.

Are shift restrictions subject to replay review?
Yes, they are.

Can’t an infielder circumvent the rule by running across second base or into the outfield when the pitch is released?
No. In addition to being physically difficult, such circumvention will be monitored by the umpires as a violation resulting in an automatic ball.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They won't let your best player change positions ? SS to 2B for example to play when a hitter most likely will hit the ball to the 2b side ....

However, they Will let an outfielder come in and play an infield position ....

That makes No Sense

How are they going to say that a ball hit up the middle, cannot be played by the 2bmen if its on the SS side ?

That too makes no sense.

How is it any different from being offsides. A short stop should not be at first base. Play your position. Personally I hate the shift. But also if you see a wide open left field bunt.

Reactions: jannah
How is it any different from being offsides. A short stop should not be at first base. Play your position. Personally I hate the shift. But also if you see a wide open left field bunt.
Your still going to see the shift, it just won't be as drastic ...
But I need to know what they mean by what I questioned as far as a SS crossing over to the 2b side and vice versa ... I would think once the ball is in play, everything goes, but it doesn't say that.

You'll still have the 2B deep in the hole and the SS will shift as far as he (Legally ) can to the bag and the SS should be able to make the play if the ball is hit to the bag on the 2B side.

I HOPE they are not saying the SS can't cross over to make a play.

Your still going to see the shift, it just won't be as drastic ...
But I need to know what they mean by what I questioned as far as a SS crossing over to the 2b side and vice versa ... I would think once the ball is in play, everything goes, but it doesn't say that.

You'll still have the 2B deep in the hole and the SS will shift as far as he (Legally ) can to the bag and the SS should be able to make the play if the ball is hit to the bag on the 2B side.

I HOPE they are not saying the SS can't cross over to make a play.
They are taking about set spaces when a pitch is thrown.

I think the Larger bases is unneeded ...
Have they been changed since the beginning at all ?

Why now ...
Personally I like the softball base at first that puts the base in fair and foul territory.

The idea is to prevent injuries and encourage more base stealing.

To me first base needs a bigger base to run down the baseline safely.

There was a report out yesterday that the Manfred Man is looking into eliminating the American and National Leagues. He’s exploring the possibility of having an Eastern and Western Conference format. So for example, the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Phillies would all be playing in the same league, err conference. This would be the BIGGEST mistake he’s ever made (and that’s saying a lot). Eliminating the American and National League would be downright sacrilegious.

Personally I like the softball base at first that puts the base in fair and foul territory.

The idea is to prevent injuries and encourage more base stealing.

To me first base needs a bigger base to run down the baseline safely.
Yes. The double first base is a great idea. Much safer.

There was a report out yesterday that the Manfred Man is looking into eliminating the American and National Leagues. He’s exploring the possibility of having an Eastern and Western Conference format. So for example, the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Phillies would all be playing in the same league, err conference. This would be the BIGGEST mistake he’s ever made (and that’s saying a lot). Eliminating the American and National League would be downright sacrilegious.
It would never happen. Way to much pushback to even consider it.

I agree that it would never get passed, but the fact that the Manfred Man even considered it (at least reportedly) is enough to prove his incompetence.

That said, I started to wonder what a hypothetical such scenario would look like.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
Boston
NY Yankees
NY Mets
Philadelphia
Washington

North Division
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee (or Minnesota)

Southeast Division
Baltimore
Miami
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Cincinnati

Western Conference

Midwest Division
Chi White Sox
Chi Cubs
St. Louis
Kansas City
Minnesota (or Milwaukee)

Pacific Division
La Dodgers
LA Angels
Oakland
San Francisco
Seattle

Southwest Division
Houston
Texas
Arizona
Colorado
San Diego

Not anywhere close to being geographically ideal. But thank goodness this latest Manfred Man pipe dream isn’t happening anyway.

Reactions: Jimbo
From that article this plan only happens after expansion. So Nashville, maybe Portland or Vegas?

Vegas is in play with either the As moving there or as an expansion team.