MLB 2023 Season

I've had enough of Aaron Nola. In my book he's fools gold. Today was typical, no hits for 3 innings then the wheels come off and he starts walking people and giving up gopher balls until the lead is gone. I would have traded him while the getting was good in the off season. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season and the very last thing the Phillies need to do is sign him to a big money and/or long term contract. Perhaps that's why they have "paused" negotiations, I certainly hope so. Just think, they could have traded Nola and signed someone like Scherzer, DeGrom, or Verlander. Makes ya wanna cry. :crying

I've had enough of Aaron Nola. In my book he's fools gold. Today was typical, no hits for 3 innings then the wheels come off and he starts walking people and giving up gopher balls until the lead is gone. I would have traded him while the getting was good in the off season. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season and the very last thing the Phillies need to do is sign him to a big money and/or long term contract. Perhaps that's why they have "paused" negotiations, I certainly hope so. Just think, they could have traded Nola and signed someone like Scherzer, DeGrom, or Verlander. Makes ya wanna cry. :crying
I THINK he will have Plenty of suiters.

It doesn't take much to make Millions in MLB.

I THINK he will have Plenty of suiters.

It doesn't take much to make Millions in MLB.
For sure, somebody will pay him, I just hope it isn't the Phillies. His best season was 5 years ago (2018) and he hasn't had a winning season since 2019. The last 3 years his combined record is 25-27. In the last 2 seasons he has given up 45 home runs in just 29 starts. At a time when he should be in his prime he is actually regressing. That is not a number 1 pitcher, not by any stretch. Frankly I was amazed when he was announced as the opening game starter this season. My advice would be, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

But it made the game go a smidge faster :)
Reminds me of a game years ago. Carl Pavano vs Mark Buehrle Twins win 3-2 in 1:52 back in 2010. The joke was (and maybe it was true) is a huge thunderstorm was coming so they "worked fast".
Massive thunderstorm about 10 minutes after the game was over

Reactions: Jimbo
I know it’s happened in the past, but I think it’s an absolute joke that MLB doesn’t have a full slate on the major summer holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day). Those days should be the bread and butter for ML teams. When I was a kid, the first thing I looked at was who and where the Red Sox were playing on those days and Mother’s and Father’s Day. I realize that the Red Sox just completed a 9 game Western road trip, but when MLB put the schedule together they should have figured out a way that all MLB were scheduled today ( a wrap around weekend 4 game series would be an example). They’re never gonna get the younger demographic back if they pull stupid crap like this!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Jimbo and Mr Tony
I know it’s happened in the past, but I think it’s an absolute joke that MLB doesn’t have a full slate on the major summer holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day). Those days should be the bread and butter for ML teams.
Agreed! I think it was last year and the Twins didn’t play on Memorial Day and I thought that was dumb.

Looking ahead there are only 11 games on Labor Day. Full slate on July 4th because it’s a Tuesday

Reactions: BillD1984
Baseball is unique in that everything has happened. 7 homeruns in one game... first time since 1952. Relief pitcher attacked by giant squid, not seen since 1897.

So it is surprising that there have been only 24 perfect games in 150 or so years of baseball. Though a quick look, pitching was a tad different in the late 19th century. So maybe 22 times in the last 125 years.
Wiki said:
Note that the pitching rules in effect in 1880 were very different from those of the modern game. Only underhand pitching was permitted, and the batter had the right to call for the ball high, low, or "middle" (belt-high). There was no strike zone; whether a pitch was "good" or "unfair" was left to the umpire's sole discretion, and foul balls were not counted as strikes. The pitching distance was 45 feet (that however was the front edge of the 6-foot-deep pitcher's box, not the push-off point represented by the modern pitching rubber).
To make things weirder, there were two perfect games noted in the 19th century, and they were 5 days apart.

German's is the second longest Perfect Game in history.

Holy Smokes,
I've never seen this ....

Astros vs Tigers, in the 8th inning ...

Astros have 1 hit
Tigers have 0 hits .... and now they have 1

1-0 Astros so far.

Holy Smokes,
I've never seen this ....

Astros vs Tigers, in the 8th inning ...

Astros have 1 hit
Tigers have 0 hits .... and now they have 1

1-0 Astros so far.
Ive seen a no hitter and the team that lost through the no hitter....Not common, happens way more than you think!

Ive seen a no hitter and the team that lost through the no hitter....Not common, happens way more than you think!
Tigers won it in the 9th ...
Once the Starters were out of the game, it was like any other game ...

Tomorrow's game will have hits galore. o_O

Reactions: AZ.
Do you think the Angels might be regretting not trading Ohtani at the trade deadline now? Man, talk about things going all wrong. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on his free agency. I know the Angels still think they have a shot at the post season but if they think they might want to sign him it might be prudent to shut him down and get the surgery done right now if there's going to be any chance of him pitching sometime next season.

• Love
Reactions: AZ. and madmadworld