MLB Extra Innings Now Available

Probably to be expected based on the other packages (CI, LP) but my brother is a Welcome Pack subscriber and was told it would include MLB Network year round as well. Big deal for him and would sweeten the deal for a baseball fan with only Welcome or Smart Packs.
Welcome Package may include the MLB Network. What they mean is it will allow you to subscribe to EI as you can now to NBA Pass and CI and get it I suppose.
I posted this in the thread about whether we are supposed to be receiving HLN (Headline News) in the Welcome Pack: the Dish website lists NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice as being included in Welcome Pack. I have Welcome Pack, and the only time I get those channels is when they are in free preview. MLB Network and MLB Extra Innings will probably be the same way. Dish really should fix that page on their website to clarify what is actually included in Welcome Pack.

Reactions: Tampa8
They are notorious for inaccurate website info virtually since they had one. More so for programming, not for pricing.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I had Welcome Pack moons ago and subscribed to Center Ice and got NHL Network year round. But the site depicts it as though you'll receive League Pass and Center Ice simply by being a WP subscriber.

A feature I find pretty cool is that you can choose to listen to the radio broadcast audio synced up with the television broadcast video instead of listening to the TV guys.

Now that is a cool feature!. On some teams I prefer the radio guys play by play. Especially the ones who have been calling games for a long time. Really enjoy Bob Uecker calling the Brewers games.

That isn't exactly what I was referring to. My question is, as a Dish Network and MLB.TV subscriber, but not an Extra Innings subscriber, can I authenticate as a Dish subscriber through the MLB.TV app to avoid blackouts?
The blackouts go by your zip code of the location of the service address.
On line, the IP Address of your computer.
The only way to beat the blackouts that I know of is to "move"...

Last year, the Dodgers were available in Extra Innings for DirecTV customers. Fans in LA could not watch the games, but the rest of the country could. I suppose Dish will have the same arrangements.
Correct. And according to updates on fiercecable.com, there are no meaningful negotiations between TIme Waner and the other providers. Meaning, 60% of the pay tv viewers and ALL who are on OTA will again not be able to watch the Dodgers on tv.
Time Warner wants $5 per subscriber for the Dodgers channel. And that price is to be spread across all subscribers. None of the other providers are having it.

Strike Zone and MLB Network are not included in MLB.tv. I don't know if they are on Extra Innings. There is also no mosiac channel on MLB.tv (don't know about extra innings) but if you are watching on a computer you can do up to 4 games of your choice in split screen. The Xbox also had split screen in previous years but only for 2 games. Most other devices do not. A feature I find pretty cool is that you can choose to listen to the radio broadcast audio synced up with the television broadcast video instead of listening to the TV guys.

I can tell you that MLB.tv will also have more HD feeds than extra innings. MLB.tv gets both teams' feeds in HD for every game whether that comes from a normal RSN, Canadian RSN, RSN not offered on Dish, or an OTA channel. Most providers of Extra Innings are missing at least some of those broadcasts. You also won't have to worry about JIP HD or games that just aren't offered in HD at all with MLB.tv. Sometimes Dish just doesn't have enough bandwidth to put them all in HD.

There is something to be said for getting it over satellite instead of internet though. You have to decide if it's worth the extra $65 to have both options instead of just MLB.tv streaming. The great thing about MLB.tv being included with Extra Innings is you get the best of both worlds. If Dish ever doesn't have the HD feed you want to watch you can get it from MLB.tv instead.
I had mlb.tv for a couple seasons. I found the HD feed to be a headache. I have TW as my ISP. Approx 15 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up....All too often the video would freeze. So I just watched the SD version. It didn't bother me. I just wanted to see the damned game.

Calma, calma. It looks the deal came together recently. Those bozos want to sell it to you as much as you want to buy it. As long as it's available by the end of the free preview, what's the problem?

What if I already have MLB.tv? Do I need to cancel and order through DISH to get EI?

If you want access to both you should. You may want to make sure you haven't already been charged by MLB and, if so, request a refund. I cancelled mine rather flawlessly - my internet connection is the dumps anyways so I plan on using EI at home and MLB.TV on lunch with wi-Fi at work.

I see that MLB Extra Innings has the schedule up for the first couple of days, and it looks like they are doing a lot of HD. I can't see the NBA League Pass or NHL Center Ice to compare how many other games are going on. But on opening day, it looks like all the games are in HD. Then the next couple of days it appears that all games are in HD that start in HD. It appears that games that are joined in progress HD on an RSN are not in HD on extra innings. The thing I wasn't expecting - on the days/times they have bandwidth, you can choose what feed you want to see. For example, on Wed afternoon, the twins/tigers and cards/cubs are the only two games going on. All 4 HD feeds are available, so you can choose the twins feed, tigers feed, cardinals feed, or cubs feed. Sort of like Center Ice.

I see that MLB Extra Innings has the schedule up for the first couple of days, and it looks like they are doing a lot of HD. I can't see the NBA League Pass or NHL Center Ice to compare how many other games are going on. But on opening day, it looks like all the games are in HD. Then the next couple of days it appears that all games are in HD that start in HD. It appears that games that are joined in progress HD on an RSN are not in HD on extra innings. The thing I wasn't expecting - on the days/times they have bandwidth, you can choose what feed you want to see. For example, on Wed afternoon, the twins/tigers and cards/cubs are the only two games going on. All 4 HD feeds are available, so you can choose the twins feed, tigers feed, cardinals feed, or cubs feed. Sort of like Center Ice.

It makes sense that you would be able to choose between the 4 feeds. If they are already uplinking all 4 RSNs in HD for broadcast in those teams' home market it doesn't take any more bandwidth for Dish to map those feeds to EI subscribers. I think you can expect both feeds in HD for all games as long as Dish is broadcasting them for people to watch on their local RSN.

They are notorious for inaccurate website info virtually since they had one. More so for programming, not for pricing.
It is not just the website that is inaccurate. The last time I checked, the slate on ESPN Buzzer Beater / Goal Line still shows Multi-Sport as $11 per month. It also took Dish months to update the slate on NFL Redzone with the $13 per month price. I think Dish should be forced to honor the old price while they are still listing the old price on the slate channels. Of course, it is probably still easy to beat the old price with a half-price for six months (or free for three months) deal or some other special discount offer. It is just the principle of the thing. Continuing to list the old price is false advertising.

As a side note, I also get tired of seeing NFL Redzone and MLB Strike Zone listed as blue in the guide, which makes it look like we actually subscribe to those channels, even though the only content that ever airs on those channels is blacked out unless there is a free preview. Dish could at least put those channels closer to the PPV Sports range instead of having them in the 150s in the middle of the regular basic channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts