MLB Extra Innings on Dish?

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
I've been considering switching to Dish for a few years now. One of the things keeping me with DirecTV is MLB EI. I remember Dish dropping it years ago (after 2006 maybe?). There is nothing about it at dish.com, and I can't find anything to lead me to believe that Dish has it except that all three TV listings sites that I use show Dish currently airing it.

So, is Dish offering MLB Extra Innings? If not, does anyone know why these channels show up at tvguide.com, zap2it.com, and titantv.com? BTW, I notice that titantv.com shows these channels with an NHL label.

Thank you in advance!

tvguide.com:
tvguide.jpg

zap2it.com:
zap2it.jpg

titantv.com:
titantv.jpg

If you have a decent internet connection and especially if you have a Roku or WD Player or other device even if DISH offered MLB-EI I wouldn't get it from them. (Or any provider) I think it is a better use and value getting the internet subscription.

Reactions: king3pj and Mochuf
If you have a decent internet connection and especially if you have a Roku or WD Player or other device even if DISH offered MLB-EI I wouldn't get it from them. (Or any provider) I think it is a better use and value getting the internet subscription.

I completely agree. I don't subscribe, but I occasionally watch the free game of the day on my Xbox 360. The pq is very good, better than what many pay-tv providers have.

I completely agree. I don't subscribe, but I occasionally watch the free game of the day on my Xbox 360. The pq is very good, better than what many pay-tv providers have.

Agreed. I have been an MLB.tv subscriber for several years now. I watch the Tigers with MLB.tv almost every night. It's quite a bit cheaper and in my opinion it's better than Extra Innings if you have a streaming device. The main reason I say it's better is because you always get the home and away feed and it's always HD. It doesn't matter if your team has games on an OTA channel, a Canadian RSN, or a RSN in dispute with your TV provider. If you are out of market you will be able to get your team's broadcast every time.

The other big benefit is being able to use it wherever you are instead of just in your house. You can log in with a smartphone/tablet/PC and watch games wherever you are. I use the app to listen to radio broadcasts when I'm not able to watch the game all the time.

One last thing that I don't think gets enough credit. Many people say they like the radio broadcasters much better than the TV ones. MLB.tv lets you watch games with the radio guys synced to the footage instead of the normal TV sound. In my opinion that's really cool.

Now that Directv is bundling MLB.tv with their Extra Innings package I would consider it. I probably wouldn't pay they extra money to get it though when MLB.tv on it's own has been great for the last several years.

The picture quality of MLB.TV has improved this year, IMHO. I have no qualms at all about watching games on my 42-inch plasma set.

I've bought individual months of mlb.tv before, and I have a media PC connected to my main TV. The problem is that it only gets a 4:3, 1024x768 window in the middle of the set, with black bars on either side.

I was hoping that that the package showing up for Dish in all of the TV listings sites was a sign of things to come in 2015. DirecTV has me under contract until August 2015.

MLB Tonight on MLB Network and StrikeZone (Tuesdays and Fridays) are really all you need if you ask me. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the MLB had a service similar to the NFL Red Zone channel which in my opinion is the greatest thing for NFL fans since the invention of perforated paper towels, that would satisfy my viewing requirements.

I've bought individual months of mlb.tv before, and I have a media PC connected to my main TV. The problem is that it only gets a 4:3, 1024x768 window in the middle of the set, with black bars on either side.

I was hoping that that the package showing up for Dish in all of the TV listings sites was a sign of things to come in 2015. DirecTV has me under contract until August 2015.

I have used a PC for MLB.tv viewing on a TV before and I will agree that it doesn't look great. Any of the dedicated streaming devices will give you a better 720p 16X9 picture for MLB.tv. Many streaming services are available in 1080p but MLB.tv is limited to 720p.

I use an Apple TV3 for most of my MLB.tv viewing. This can be had for $99. I also use various Rokus in different rooms. If you are interested in streaming other services the Roku 3 at $99 is probably your best option.

Since you have a PC connected to your TV you might only need a streaming device for MLB.tv though. If this is the case I would go with the Roku 1. It's currently available on Amazon for $39.97.

Amazon product ASIN B00F5NB7JK

Agreed. I have been an MLB.tv subscriber for several years now. I watch the Tigers with MLB.tv almost every night. It's quite a bit cheaper and in my opinion it's better than Extra Innings if you have a streaming device. The main reason I say it's better is because you always get the home and away feed and it's always HD. It doesn't matter if your team has games on an OTA channel, a Canadian RSN, or a RSN in dispute with your TV provider. If you are out of market you will be able to get your team's broadcast every time.

The other big benefit is being able to use it wherever you are instead of just in your house. You can log in with a smartphone/tablet/PC and watch games wherever you are. I use the app to listen to radio broadcasts when I'm not able to watch the game all the time.

One last thing that I don't think gets enough credit. Many people say they like the radio broadcasters much better than the TV ones. MLB.tv lets you watch games with the radio guys synced to the footage instead of the normal TV sound. In my opinion that's really cool.

Now that Directv is bundling MLB.tv with their Extra Innings package I would consider it. I probably wouldn't pay they extra money to get it though when MLB.tv on it's own has been great for the last several years.
I agree. Baseball broadcasting/commentary is better on radio than TV....
Of course there are exceptions.
Jon Miller for the Giants, Vince Scully for the Dodgers, Gary Thorne for the Orioles.

Why not?....
IIRC, DirecTV and MLB tried to work out a monopoly like DirecTV has with Sunday Ticket. The federal government made some noise, and both sides backed off. Dish dropped MLB Extra Innings though. This was maybe between the 2006 and 2007 seasons?

on the subject of MLB Extra Innings PPV package, Dish dropped it in the mid 2000s, and the listing in the OP's pics, they are info from 3rd party TV listing sites that still don't know that Dish dropped MLB EI PPV years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts