MLB Network

Thanks for the link:up

The only nit I see is that they are WILLING to make it available to D*, not that they intend to. In any case, its good to see that it might be a possibility though.

The only nit I see is that they are WILLING to make it available to D*, not that they intend to. In any case, its good to see that it might be a possibility though.

yeah this would be great! if this happens and E has success giving this out to cable companies, it will seal the fate of Tivo.

yeah this would be great! if this happens and E has success giving this out to cable companies, it will seal the fate of Tivo.

It might not be a good thing for Dish either. Too much to discuss in this thread, since we have already strayed OT, but I would consider this very very carefully if I were Echostar

Edit: for those that want to participate, and to keep it from going OT here, I posted a poll in the war zone (seemed the most fair place) that covers where I was going here. Thanks

Last edited:

Actually the "WILLING" is Scott's interpretation or Charlie's statement at CES. What he actually said was

EchoStar will also look to sell its Sling-enabled products, like its new HD DVR, to Dish’s rivals, namely cable operators and DirecTV, according to Ergen.

In any event, it you want to look at Charlie's entire statement, here it is:

CES 2009: Ergen Unveils Dish’s ‘SlingLoaded’ Devices - 1/8/2009 2:49:00 PM - Multichannel News

Last edited:
All quiet on the MLB Network front... Does anyone know whether there are any negotations taking place whatsoever or is this a done deal?

are we really going to miss much without the channel? I mean, NFL Network is kind of a necessity now that it shows 5-6 games a year, and NBA TV shows 2 games a week usually, with one being voted on by the fans. Will MLB Network have that? Or will it just be all analysis?

are we really going to miss much without the channel? I mean, NFL Network is kind of a necessity now that it shows 5-6 games a year, and NBA TV shows 2 games a week usually, with one being voted on by the fans. Will MLB Network have that? Or will it just be all analysis?

According to their website they will show 26 live games this year.

MLB Network: About

Considering there are 30 teams with 162 games, that's 2,430 total games. So Dish subs subs will miss about 1% of all games. Big deal. While that's more games than NFL Network, they have 16 game seasons. Thus, they are actually showing fewer games out of the total.
Actually, Dish subs won't miss the games if they are your local team and you get the game broadcast locally. It won't be an exclusive arrangement, like the NFL Network, more like ESPN's current weeknight deal:

One live regular-season game will be seen on the network on either Thursday or Saturday night. But it will be a simulcasted version of a game produced in one of the teams’ local markets, and the MLB Network feed will be seen only outside that area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/sports/baseball/03sandomir.html?_r=1&em

Considering there are 30 teams with 162 games, that's 2,430 total games. So Dish subs subs will miss about 1% of all games. Big deal. While that's more games than NFL Network, they have 16 game seasons. Thus, they are actually showing fewer games out of the total.
That is like 1 game a week, just like with the NFL network.

MLB will be showing a Thursday night game every week, just like the NFL network does.

Since the channel went live, I have watched this channel more than any other. The hot stove report every day; classic games; prime 9 (top 9 of a particular category); Ken Burns Baseball; team profiles. These have all been great and it is still the off season. Once the season starts, there will be even more programming including live cut ins to live games.

Since the channel went live, I have watched this channel more than any other. The hot stove report every day; classic games; prime 9 (top 9 of a particular category); Ken Burns Baseball; team profiles. These have all been great and it is still the off season. Once the season starts, there will be even more programming including live cut ins to live games.
Yes but your a baseball nut.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)