MLB Strike Zone to Launch

As for buying MLB EI on DISH if ever offered, I would not. I would be paying like $70 more than I do by buying MLB.TV premium, plus on DISH you are locked into DISH rather than able to watch the games on all sorts of devices (three for me currently). I dare MLB to become inventive - how about putting MLB EI on almost all sat and cable providers, charge one price no matter if you are internet, internet appliance or cable/satellite user and that subscription allows you to watch on your pay-tv provider, on the internet, or on your internet appliance. As long as old fart Selig is overseeing MLB, I doubt they would do anything that cool to open it up to more people with more flexibility in ways to watch it.

HBO and others can do it...... But what you may be missing, is MLB making more money with the present set-up? Very possible. I won't pay $100 more for MLB IE over MLBTV even if it includes other ways to watch it. MLBTV, can already be seen on computer, phone, Roku, etc...... Unless I has a bad internet connection I don't' need to pay alot more just to see it from my provider.
BTW HBO costs $195 a year, MLB IE costs $225 for four months..... Sports is just to expensive, giving me other ways to watch it isn't enough, $125 is limit for me even with MLBTV.

It looks like MLB Strike Zone is just for you east coast elites.
It goes off the air while all the games west of the Mississippi are still in progress.

emathis said:
It looks like MLB Strike Zone is just for you east coast elites.
It goes off the air while all the games west of the Mississippi are still in progress.

I've only watched it once. It was about 11pm eastern on a Tuesday. There were still 6 games in progress all west of the Mississippi I watched for a half hour got bored and turned it off.
Frankly I don't think you are missing anything. Since this channel has such limited value, only broadcast 2 days a week and doesn't cover afternoon games, I don't get why it is only part of multi sport package. I wouldn't add the package for it...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

HBO and others can do it...... But what you may be missing, is MLB making more money with the present set-up? Very possible. BTW HBO costs $195 a year, MLB IE costs $225 for four months..... Sports is just to expensive, giving me other ways to watch it isn't enough, $125 is limit for me even with MLBTV.
I doubt MLB is making more money with the present setup. Think about if they did a $160/season offer for those on pay tv or internet premium that gave them access on all supported satellite, cable and internet appliance devices (or $120/season for PC only with no links to cable/satellite package or internet appliances). I know I would pay $40 more per season if DISH Network had permission to show the out of market games and I could link DISH to my pc/roku/apple appliance current setup to increase the ways in which I could access the games. I don't think sports are that expensive if you really only like a single sport (MLB for me - I can live with NFL on broadcast/basic cable without needing the Sunday Ticket package). MLB is six months long, BTW for the regular season. I pay $120/season for MLB.TV Premium and that gives me all out of market live games (and all archives) and all radio broadcasts live or on demand on my three devices for less than the additional monthly costs if I were to upgrade my DISH subscription to add my local RSN and some superstations that carry baseball just to increase how much baseball I can watch on DISH.

I know I would pay $40 more per season if DISH Network had permission to show the out of market games and I could link DISH to my pc/roku/apple appliance current setup to increase the ways in which I could access the games.
Dish couldn't keep it when they had it charging much more than that. $40 for Dish to carry it unfortunately is dreaming. If you meant MLB would cut their take of the $125, by making it $175, and then splitting with Dish, still not enough probably for either to do it. How would they charge $160 for MLB IE AND Dish? Dish alone has to be something in the neighborhood of what Direct TV gets $225. Using that much HD space costs money. Just ask AAD.

I don't think sports are that expensive if you really only like a single sport

Good point. Though like you I can get enough with network coverage, ESPN, strike zone, etc... for football, I still have a limit on price and with MLB IE when MLBTV gives me more options including using a Roku, phone etc.. for less.

Last edited:
Dish couldn't keep it when they had it charging much more than that. $40 for Dish to carry it unfortunately is dreaming
In my scenario, DISH doesn't offer the all-encompassing MLB.TV Premium package (the package that would link your pay-tv provider to the internet and internet appliances to give you the flexibility to watch MLB TV games anywhere and just about in any way). MLB Advanced Media would sell the subscriptions and they would contract with any sat/cable provider (DISH, DIRECTV, COX, Comcast, TW, etc) that would call for those providers to allow anyone who has a MLB.TV Premium package sold by MLBAM to access any MLB RSN's/superstations already carried on those systems and remove the out-of-market blackout restrictions while keeping in-market blackout restrictions. The incentive for the pay tv providers is that they would receive $50 or whatever per valid MLB.TV Premium subscriber per season as a bonus so DISH could be making money pretty quick out of the gate at $50 for each DISH sub who has a valid MLB.TV Premium subscription. If it only costs $1,000 for DISH to program the system to add a MLB out of market authorization tier and add each valid subscriber for a season to that special programming tier and there were just 1,000 DISH subscribers who have MLB.TV Premium, then DISH would be profiting $49,000 for the season. Of course the profit would be even greater if there were more subscribers with MLB.TV Premium that also were customers of DISH.

Who's to say they are not planning on adding a MLB.TV app to the Hopper? ;) Anything is possible when you have an internet enabled box.

Will they ever do it? That I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)