Status
Please reply by conversation.

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 26, 2011
crazy
Ok yesterday I got a email of a class action law suite....

Just off phone with Direct and they know nothing about the outcome (discounted price for this year).
Any info on price for 2016 due to this?

If I go to the DirecTV page without being logged in, it lists a price of $173.94. I got the same email as you did, and it mentions a 12.5% discount for this year. In looking at my old bills, last year it was $197.94 for the entire season. 15% off of that price is $173.20, which isn't EXACTLY the price but close enough. Did they quote you the $197? If so I would perhaps just point out their website.

If I go to the DirecTV page without being logged in, it lists a price of $173.94. I got the same email as you did, and it mentions a 12.5% discount for this year. In looking at my old bills, last year it was $197.94 for the entire season. 15% off of that price is $173.20, which isn't EXACTLY the price but close enough. Did they quote you the $197? If so I would perhaps just point out their website.

Oh, ok then....I didnt remember what I paid last year....
Your probably right....But I would find it strange that even some one who didnt get MLB last year gets the deal also....
Think it would help if there CSR had an idea and could explain it?
Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Yeah, I didn't remember what I paid last year until I went on to look. I have a bigger question to anyone who can answer, though - I have thought about "moving" to Philly but the lack of Comcast SportsNet is standing in the way. If I have it right, Phillies games would be blacked out on MLB Extra Innings because they would be "in-market". Does this lawsuit change anything about being able to see them? I tried to read all the details of the settlement but couldn't figure it out...

You're welcome! Yeah, I didn't remember what I paid last year until I went on to look. I have a bigger question to anyone who can answer, though - I have thought about "moving" to Philly but the lack of Comcast SportsNet is standing in the way. If I have it right, Phillies games would be blacked out on MLB Extra Innings because they would be "in-market". Does this lawsuit change anything about being able to see them? I tried to read all the details of the settlement but couldn't figure it out...

I'm in Lancaster County - and have the same issue. Not just with the Phillies - anytime Baltimore, Washington, or Pittsburgh plays - the games are blacked out on MLB.tv (all of them lay claim to Central PA being their home market)
That's a lot of games/teams to be blacked out on any given night!

I read somewhere that there was going to be a $10 charge on top of the $85 single team option that would allow to you to watch games in your home market on MLB.tv, but that was buried in one article that I haven't been able to find since.
Seems like MLB could grow the service a lot if they'd life the blackout restrictions. It's not like Comcast would be losing any money on the deal, since you're still watching the Phillies on CSN - you're just doing it on a mobile device instead of a tv.

I read somewhere that there was going to be a $10 charge on top of the $85 single team option that would allow to you to watch games in your home market on MLB.tv, but that was buried in one article that I haven't been able to find since.
Seems like MLB could grow the service a lot if they'd life the blackout restrictions. It's not like Comcast would be losing any money on the deal, since you're still watching the Phillies on CSN - you're just doing it on a mobile device instead of a tv.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-in-market-streaming-a-small-step/

This is worth reading. I don't think MLB.tv itself is going to offer in market streaming. If your team is carried by a Fox Sports RSN and you subscribe to a participating cable provider you can use the Fox Sports Go app to stream your games in market.

Since I'm a Charter customer and the Tigers are carried by Fox Sports Detroit I should theoretically be able to watch the Tigers in market with the Fox Sports Go app this season. I haven't seen any official lists of participating cable providers yet though.

I found the article - and the $10 option for out of market games looks to be pretty limited:
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/mlb-tv-subscription-changes-lawsuit/

"For MLB.tv subscribers that are also cable customers, there's a new Follow Your Team option that will give you access to your favorite out-of-market team when they're nearby. Usually in-market games are always blacked out, but paying an extra $10 ensures you'll be able to watch every game regardless of restrictions. There's a catch, though: you have to also pay for a cable plan that includes that in-market team's network. Everyone's going to get their money one way or another."

I found the article - and the $10 option for out of market games looks to be pretty limited:
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/mlb-tv-subscription-changes-lawsuit/

"For MLB.tv subscribers that are also cable customers, there's a new Follow Your Team option that will give you access to your favorite out-of-market team when they're nearby. Usually in-market games are always blacked out, but paying an extra $10 ensures you'll be able to watch every game regardless of restrictions. There's a catch, though: you have to also pay for a cable plan that includes that in-market team's network. Everyone's going to get their money one way or another."

It sounds it's for fans of out of market teams to avoid blackouts when their team is playing against a team that is in market but only if you subscribe to a cable package that would have included the game. I assume there is a restriction that prevents you from picking the Phillies as the team you want to follow if you live in Philadelphia since it specifies that it's for out of market fans.

It sounds like the 15 teams that are carried by Fox Sports RSNs got the much better deal. If they have participating cable credentials they can stream their home team in market through the Fox Sports Go app without having to pay for an MLB.tv subscription.

It sounds it's for fans of out of market teams to avoid blackouts when their team is playing against a team that is in market but only if you subscribe to a cable package that would have included the game..

I'm actually a Red Sox fan living in Central PA, so MLB.tv works great for me.
Except when they play Baltimore or Philly or Pittsburgh or the Nats. Not sure the additional $10 makes sense when those of us with Dish Network have Sling built into the receiver and can watch games on MASN on our phones anyhow :)

I'm a fantasy baseball nerd so I love MLB.tv. I have been a subscriber for probably 6 or 7 years now.

Wish MLB.TV would include streaming of MLB Network channel. Our lovely cable system (Mediacom) doesn't carry it. Or NHL Network or NBA TV. :argue

Has anyone else called Direct to see what the price will be over the phone????

No, the lawsuit does not change anything about in-market blackouts. You will not be able to watch any Phillies games on MLB Extra Innings.
Also regarding the Follow Your Team $10 option, it does have to be an out of market team (i.e. cannot select the Phillies in Philadelphia) and also, as mentioned, you need to have a valid cable/satellite subscription. That would allow you to watch the say the Braves play against the Phillies (if you selected the Braves as your one out of market team), but since DirecTV doesn’t carry CSN it doesn’t appear you would have access to that option.

Also, as mentioned, the 15 Fox Sports RSN’s are supposed to allow for in-market streaming for this year (no extra cost) with valid cable/satellite subscription credentials with the DTV/Comcast RSN’s hopefully brought into the mix by 2017.

If I understand it correctly, for those in markets where the local RSN(s) are Fox Sports, the extra $10 charge to “follow your team”, would only get you out access to the out of market broadcast (since the in-market broadcast can already be seen via FSGO app).

I just subscribed to the MLB.TV online service last night for 109. That price simply can't be touched when DirecTV is charging almost double that.. I did love the DirecTV version when I had it though.. I'm now with Fios and their inDemand version pales in comparison to D*..

In market streaming if one is subscribed to their Fox Sports RSN? Yeah, because that is exactly what folks have been clamoring for. Way to drive piracy but that is exactly what they've done.. So be it.. Companies stubborn policies have already lead an entire generation to find content through alternative means and that won't change if the providers do not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just subscribed to the MLB.TV online service last night for 109. That price simply can't be touched when DirecTV is charging almost double that.. I did love the DirecTV version when I had it though.. I'm now with Fios and their inDemand version pales in comparison to D*..

In market streaming if one is subscribed to their Fox Sports RSN? Yeah, because that is exactly what folks have been clamoring for. Way to drive piracy but that is exactly what they've done.. So be it.. Companies stubborn policies have already lead an entire generation to find content through alternative means and that won't change if the providers do not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe DTV's MLB Extra Innings package includes full access to MLB.TV
Which gives you best of both worlds...
So I dont see the price as being so bad...

Reactions: AZ.
I believe DTV's MLB Extra Innings package includes full access to MLB.TV
Which gives you best of both worlds...
So I dont see the price as being so bad...

It does but if you have a good internet connection I actually prefer the streaming option to what Directv has to offer. I wouldn't pay more to get the same feeds from a satellite. The quality is fine through my streaming devices and MLB.tv has both feeds in HD for every game regardless of who is broadcasting those feeds. It doesn't matter if it's an OTA station, Canadian RSN, or American RSN not offered on Directv.

No, the lawsuit does not change anything about in-market blackouts. You will not be able to watch any Phillies games on MLB Extra Innings.
Also regarding the Follow Your Team $10 option, it does have to be an out of market team (i.e. cannot select the Phillies in Philadelphia) and also, as mentioned, you need to have a valid cable/satellite subscription. That would allow you to watch the say the Braves play against the Phillies (if you selected the Braves as your one out of market team), but since DirecTV doesn’t carry CSN it doesn’t appear you would have access to that option.

Also, as mentioned, the 15 Fox Sports RSN’s are supposed to allow for in-market streaming for this year (no extra cost) with valid cable/satellite subscription credentials with the DTV/Comcast RSN’s hopefully brought into the mix by 2017.

If I understand it correctly, for those in markets where the local RSN(s) are Fox Sports, the extra $10 charge to “follow your team”, would only get you out access to the out of market broadcast (since the in-market broadcast can already be seen via FSGO app).
You can watch repeats in mlbtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)