MN Twins owner Carl Pohlad passes away

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins owner Carl Pohlad, a billionaire financier who became best known after purchasing the Twins in 1984, passed away on Monday at his home in Edina, Minn. He was 93 years old.

The son of a poor family during the Great Depression, Pohlad rose from humble beginnings to head a family-owned network of banking, bottling, real estate and other companies. Forbes magazine wrote in September that Pohlad was worth around $3.6 billion, ranking him No. 102 on the magazine's list of America's wealthiest people.

"Carl was the leader of our family as well as the founder and leader of our family businesses," Pohlad's three sons, Jim, Bob and Bill said in a statement. "We've loved and respected him and are enormously proud of his accomplishments. And we will all miss him deeply."

Funeral services for Pohlad will take place at 1 p.m. CT on Thursday at the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis. A wake will be held Wednesday at Washburn McReavy Funeral Chapel in Edina, Minn.

Pohlad purchased the Twins from the team's original owner, Calvin Griffith, for $38 million in '84 and was at the helm during the club's two World Series championships in 1987 and 1991. At the time he acquired the ballclub, Pohlad was widely credited for saving baseball in Minnesota.

more at

Twins owner Pohlad passes away at 93 | twinsbaseball.com: News and

Funeral services set for Twins owner Carl Pohlad

sad day for this Twins fan....sure he was a tightwad...but dammit he kept baseball here in MN and next year we get a awesome new ballpark :)

My condolences. Too bad he couldn't see the new ballpark when the Twins play but I'm sure he'll be watching.

my grandma worked for a bank back in the 80's that he owned (Marquette Bank) and she got to see the pohlad's numerous times

her thoughts
Oh his wife was the nicest, sweetest person you could meet
him...he was a jackass :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)