Model 4000 DOA?

Ron R

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
I just installed a DPP44 and connected an old 4000 that has sat on the shelf several years. It would not find 110 but did find 119 and 2 other sat's I don't remember their numbers. After much wasted time changing cable and configurations I called Dish and was told that the software was so old that the receiver was toast. A very knowledgible friend agreed so I don't doubt it. It just seems a shame to trash it so easily. Is there any way I can get this thing to take a software update? I get this one fixed I have its little sister the 1000 Never been opened NIB next. Any ideas? In the meantime I have a 322 on the way, it's going to be the end result but have time to mess with the 4000.

Acording to the manual it will work with a DPP44 (DishProPlus 44) thats one of the benefits of the DPP44 as opposed to the DP44.

The 1000 and 4000 are still listed on Dish's software versions page and have current software spooling so they should be updateable. There are a couple (I think the 3800 and 4700) which were actually software-upgraded to a different model number and if you missed out on that specific update, you're stuck.

I would bet the problem is that these units are so old, they don't even know what a SW64 is - which is what the DPP44 is emulating for legacy receivers. If this is the case, you need to use a direct connection to a legacy single or dual LNBF pointed at 119 only, no switches at all and no Twins either just to be safe. Once you get current software they should be fine on the DPP44.

Last edited:
The dish tech told me that the software version was so old that it may not update. I can not remember the exact number right now but am sure it started with 515, that was all he needed to tell me it was very old. Is there any way to force an update? I was told it would only update if the receiver was turned off. I left it turned off connected to the DPP44 overnight and no joy.

Did you read my prior post? The software may be old but it should still update (unless I'm having a stupid moment which I am occasionally prone to do).

If, however, the software on the box now is something prior to when the SW64 was introduced, the only way it will ever update is connected direct to legacy 119. Fifteen to twenty minutes powered off after connecting should be sufficient.

Yes hook it straight to 119 and make sure you have that sig good and then turn it off for awhile it will update. However if you hook it straight it will need a legacy lnb as Pepper said. If you are getting 119 off of the dpp44 then it will do as well just make sure you turn it off for 20 mins or so.

If you are using the DPP44 you don't need the Dish Pro Adpter, after all is said and done.

Also if you have a 1000 NIB it will need to go the same route as the 4000.

Yes the DPP44 does not need an adaptor for the legacy receivers my misread on that. But even with updated software it will only recognize DBS satellites on the 1,2,and 3 satellite in port it will not support 105 and 121. The 4th port is not supported on the 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 7100 and 7200. The 2800, 3900, 4900, and 6000 can support 110 and 119 on 1 and 2 ports 61.5, 148, 105, 121 on port 3 and 105 and 121 on port 4.

Also do you have the power inserter in receiver 1 line.

Last edited:
Try'd Again

I went back in for some more. The receiver will find signal on 119 and recognise the DPP44 switch as a 64 switch,which is correct. But it will not find 110 and will not update software. Any more ideas? I left the receiver connected and turned off overnight no joy. I turned it on before leaving for work but do not expect that to help.

Ron R said:
I went back in for some more. The receiver will find signal on 119 and recognise the DPP44 switch as a 64 switch,which is correct. But it will not find 110 and will not update software. Any more ideas? I left the receiver connected and turned off overnight no joy. I turned it on before leaving for work but do not expect that to help.

If the receiver recognized the switch and you have a signal on 119, I would suspect there is a problem between the 110 LNBF's and the switch. Try switching the 119 and 110 leads to see if the switch is good. Meaaning the signal will register on 110 in the check switch but will be will on input B instead.

Ok

I'll try that, but must say, I have 2 other receivers on this switch a 625, and 322. They both work on all channels, all 4 receivers. Would'nt that suggest that the switch is working properly. The switch is new just purchased last week.

Could this problem be that he has 4 sat's connected. IIRC the older receivers cannot "see" input port 4 on a DPP44. Maybe 110 is on port 4?

I only have 2 satellite's connected to the DPP44 and 3 receivers #1- 4000, #2-625, #3-322. I have also changed the receivers to different outputs on the switch with no change.

all seriousness aside...

I'll give you a fine old 3000 to go with your other museum pieces.
I wouldn't run any of them to get free TV ! :)

I know they are old I'm just tryn'g to get the 4000 to work while I wait for my 322. I'm sorry if I'm not uo to your standards, the way I see it they were on the shelf why not use them and maybe learn something along the way. I don't know what the crack about "free TV" is supposed to mean but I assure you my account is paid for every month.

I think Anole meant FTA.

One other thought would be that you may need to hook it up to a "Dish 300" or 119 only legacy antenna for it to download. I know this may be far-out, however, the very old software may not be able to deal with the DPP44 "looking" like a SW64 and may be old enough that it does not recognize the 110 slot. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

That is a thought. I might take the time to try that. I'll have to see what other stuff I have in the pile. I know I have a couple old dishes but need to check on the LNB's. What do you think, if I get it to see the 110 & 119 with an old LNB will it update, then be able to connect to my existing system? It may be worth a try, I hate to give up.

My thought is set up a 119 only system with a Legacy Dual. This may be the last configuration that it saw. This can be done with a 500 dish. Skew is set to 90 and AZ and EL are set to your location. With this setup, the receiver will only see 119 from a Legacy LNB. That is enough. It will recognize the 119 and will not have any new codes from the DP or DPP equipment to confuse it. The software streams are on all satellites so if it can update, it will.

I could'nt find a dual LNB but did find a complete single LNB,Dish. I think I can set it up in the garage, move it out, point it, see what happens. What do tou think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)